997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Buying new tires w/ alignment in Austin

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-20-2013, 10:05 AM
Super Adjuster has a spectacular aura aboutSuper Adjuster has a spectacular aura about
Buying new tires w/ alignment in Austin

My 997 4S cab is up for new tires. I am going for the new Michelin Pilot Super Sports in 235/35/19 and 305/30/19. I've shopped around and I have my options as follows.

Dealer: 4 tires mounted and balanced with no road hazard warranty ~$1900. Alignment $230. Total ~$2200 after tax and other charges. I can trust the dealer to do it right, especially the alignment. But they won't really give my car any special attention either as this is everyday BS to them. No free rotation (I don't know if this matters, but the SSPs can be rotated left to right if I want).

Discount Tire: 4 tires mounted and balanced with lifetime road hazard warranty for $1576 or pro-rated warranty for $1426. Will have to go to dealer for alignment for $230. Total $1806 or $1656. Pretty good deal if I can trust Discount Tire with my TechArt wheels. Free rotation.

Lamb's Tire & Automotive: 4 tires mounted and balanced mounted for $1705 with no warranty or $1921 with 3 year replacement warranty. They will also do the alignment for $90. Total here would be $1795 or $2011. The manager said he would personally handle my tires and alignment to make sure my car was completed correctly and carefully. They will have to borrow a tool to complete the rear alignment. I think they are capable of doing all the work, but have never worked on a 911 before. I gave them a shot at the work because I like them and used them for my Chevys for 10+ years.

Michelin is also offering a $70 rebate Visa gift card with 4 tires.

I think I've figured out what I want to do just by writing this post, but opinions are welcome.

Old 02-20-2013, 10:26 AM
daberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to behold
Go with discount tire. However, ABSOLUTLY verify they have the tools and experience to remove and mount the tires without completely destroying the finish on your wheels. Establish UP FRONT that if they mess the wheels up, they are replacing them. I had my E46 BMW wheels destroyed by Merchants/NTB Tire years ago. Settled for nearly a $1000 in damages. And those wheels (back then) were nothing compared to the cost of wheels on our p cars.

Last edited by daberlin; 02-20-2013 at 10:29 AM.
Old 02-20-2013, 11:44 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Super Adjuster
My 997 4S cab is up for new tires. I am going for the new Michelin Pilot Super Sports in 235/35/19 and 305/30/19. I've shopped around and I have my options as follows.

Dealer: 4 tires mounted and balanced with no road hazard warranty ~$1900. Alignment $230. Total ~$2200 after tax and other charges. I can trust the dealer to do it right, especially the alignment. But they won't really give my car any special attention either as this is everyday BS to them. No free rotation (I don't know if this matters, but the SSPs can be rotated left to right if I want).

Discount Tire: 4 tires mounted and balanced with lifetime road hazard warranty for $1576 or pro-rated warranty for $1426. Will have to go to dealer for alignment for $230. Total $1806 or $1656. Pretty good deal if I can trust Discount Tire with my TechArt wheels. Free rotation.

Lamb's Tire & Automotive: 4 tires mounted and balanced mounted for $1705 with no warranty or $1921 with 3 year replacement warranty. They will also do the alignment for $90. Total here would be $1795 or $2011. The manager said he would personally handle my tires and alignment to make sure my car was completed correctly and carefully. They will have to borrow a tool to complete the rear alignment. I think they are capable of doing all the work, but have never worked on a 911 before. I gave them a shot at the work because I like them and used them for my Chevys for 10+ years.

Michelin is also offering a $70 rebate Visa gift card with 4 tires.

I think I've figured out what I want to do just by writing this post, but opinions are welcome.
I've seen the tire mounting area at the dealership and I'd be inclined to let Discount Tire do it...ask the manager to let you watch. I'm not sure I'd trust an alignment to someone other than a Porsche dealer or a indy who knows Porsches. If you use the dealer ask for the PCA discount.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:05 PM
gonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond repute
Discount Tire and have Porsche handle the alignment.

Old 02-20-2013, 04:54 PM
bigfish1 is infamous around these parts
I have had tires installed at belle tire with no issues. I took into account that they sell and install high end aftermarket rims. They took good care of my car and i waited while the work was being carried out. However i would and did take my car to the dealer for the alignment.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:06 PM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
Dealer,...No Brainer. It ain't a Chevy.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:30 PM
Mojo31 is infamous around these parts
My two local DTs have done a great job with my wheels. The Porsche goes in and they take great care of it. They let me watch every step. I get the impression that they look forward to these types of cars rather than the endless stream of Fords and Chevies. I'm not real wild about their lifts, so they use a floor jack when I ask.

NTB - nothing but bad experiences with their shops.

Dealer for alignment.

Old 02-20-2013, 07:59 PM
Steve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond reputeSteve997S has a reputation beyond repute
PM sent

Old 02-20-2013, 08:30 PM
sixgun95 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by gonz996
Discount Tire and have Porsche handle the alignment.

For sure!

Old 02-21-2013, 05:11 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by bigfish1
I have had tires installed at belle tire with no issues. I took into account that they sell and install high end aftermarket rims. They took good care of my car and i waited while the work was being carried out. However i would and did take my car to the dealer for the alignment.
No Belle Tire in Austin

Old 02-21-2013, 09:31 AM
Super Adjuster has a spectacular aura aboutSuper Adjuster has a spectacular aura about
Thanks for all of the advice guys. I got over to Discount Tire late yesterday afternoon and had the Super Sports installed. It was raining pretty hard, but the new tires and 4 wheel drive were just stellar in the rain. Incredible grip and stability. I have the alignment scheduled at the Dealer for Monday.

On another note, I also need tires for my Cayene S: 295/35/R21 all the way around. The Michelins are $700 more than the Pirellis! I also just replaced my 20" tires on my Avalanche with the best Michelins a few months ago too. That's like six grand in tires almost all at once.

Old 02-22-2013, 09:38 PM
Cbwell is a jewel in the roughCbwell is a jewel in the roughCbwell is a jewel in the rough
I used discount tire to do my new wheels and tires. Go to the one on bee caves, I believe they are the only location that offers the 'touchless' system. They did a great job. You need to request this machine be used though.

Old 02-24-2013, 08:51 PM
Originally Posted by Cbwell
I used discount tire to do my new wheels and tires. Go to the one on bee caves, I believe they are the only location that offers the 'touchless' system. They did a great job. You need to request this machine be used though.
Wow, I didn't even know about that machine. Here is a video a found, pretty slick. Is this what they have on Bee Caves?

Old 02-25-2013, 03:42 AM
amge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond repute
The no-touch is a good idea. But I am less worried about the outer edge of the wheels than the face of it. This looks like you'd have to face it down to align it with the lug bolts...I am seeing the guy not hitting it on the first (or second!) try and scratching the face of the wheel! Maybe it's just me being paranoid.

Bee Caves . I lived off of Cuernavaca off Bee Caves Road when it was a two lane road...There is a Discount Tire there now? I'm sure it's built up like any other suburban sprawl.

Old 02-25-2013, 09:31 AM
Cbwell is a jewel in the roughCbwell is a jewel in the roughCbwell is a jewel in the rough
I'm not sure if that is the same machine or not, I didn't actually see it.

The Bee Caves/ Cuarnavaca area has blown up, you wouldn't even recognize it.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Buying new tires w/ alignment in Austin