997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Thoughts on buying a warranty?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 11:50 AM
onefastman1 is a name known to allonefastman1 is a name known to allonefastman1 is a name known to allonefastman1 is a name known to allonefastman1 is a name known to allonefastman1 is a name known to all
Thoughts on buying a Fidelity Powertrain warranty?

I have a 2005 997 C2 with 69,900 miles that I am considering buying a powertrain warranty from Fidelity. The warranty would be 4 years/48,000 miles and I was quoted $3050 from my local Porsche dealer with a $250 deductible. Alternatively I could get the Silver warranty for $4100 with the same 4/48 terms and deductible. My questions are is it worth it?
I want protection from IMS failure, RMS issues, alternator cable issues, etc.

My car had a new motor in 2006 and from what I am able to gather off of the numbers has the updated IMS. It currently has no issues but don't want to risk it.

The biggest unanswered question is will fidelity cover the above issues?

Last edited by onefastman1; 02-22-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:01 PM
onefastman1 is a name known to allonefastman1 is a name known to allonefastman1 is a name known to allonefastman1 is a name known to allonefastman1 is a name known to allonefastman1 is a name known to all
I just spoke to the dealer and apparently all Fidelity warranties outside of the Platinum is exclusionary which scares me a bit.

Does anyone know if it covers IMS or not?

Old 02-22-2013, 12:18 PM
Maturola is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by onefastman1
I just spoke to the dealer and apparently all Fidelity warranties outside of the Platinum is exclusionary which scares me a bit.

Does anyone know if it covers IMS or not?
I believe that an "Exclusionary" policy is what you want, there is a explicit list on what is NOT cover (excluded), if it is not on the list then you are cover. All other type of policy can mess around with your claims.

You should be able to get the detailed list from the same person that give you the quote and the IMS should be either listed or not.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:22 PM
Fidelity does not list an IMS in their policy as included...

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j...42768644,d.aWM

Any advice on an inclusionary policy?

Old 02-22-2013, 12:23 PM
Jophiel is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Maturola
I believe that an "Exclusionary" policy is what you want, there is a explicit list on what is NOT cover (excluded), if it is not on the list then you are cover. All other type of policy can mess around with your claims.

You should be able to get the detailed list from the same person that give you the quote and the IMS should be either listed or not.
This.

I purchased CNA national warranty for my 05 with under 10k miles. My IMS failed three weeks later and everything was covered. The nice thing about CNA is they offer a "vanishing deductible" meaning that if you take it to the dealer that you purchased the warranty through, there is no deductible.

Your price seems a bit high, but that might be on account of your vehicle having 70k miles and your plan incorporating more miles. For reference, I paid around $3.5k for the highest exclusionary warranty available through CNA for 4yrs/24,000 miles.

Old 02-22-2013, 12:26 PM
Originally Posted by Jophiel
This.

I purchased CNA national warranty for my 05 with under 10k miles. My IMS failed three weeks later and everything was covered. The nice thing about CNA is they offer a "vanishing deductible" meaning that if you take it to the dealer that you purchased the warranty through, there is no deductible.

Your price seems a bit high, but that might be on account of your vehicle having 70k miles and your plan incorporating more miles. For reference, I paid around $3.5k for the highest exclusionary warranty available through CNA for 4yrs/24,000 miles.

I'm sure its because mine has more miles and I also have not made a counter offer on the price, that was just the initial quote. Before I negotiate I need to know if it covers the IMS/RMS/etc or not.

Old 02-22-2013, 01:05 PM
RickB is infamous around these parts
Not to open another extensive IMS conversation, but have you identified your engine code to determine if you should be worried?

If you identify you have an early engine, then yes. A later engine, no, not so much. Ultimately your call, but wanted to share in case you hadn't had a chance to read all the IMS info. IMS failure and a new engine can be about a $20K or so proposition, so knowledge is key.

Best of luck!!

If you haven't read it yet, this thread is very informative, among others:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...s-failure.html

As originally posted by HOLDEN997:

"From the 997 work shop manual I extracted the following information on which engine has the smaller or revised larger IMS bearing:

Base engine (3.6) has designation "M96", can have the smaller IMS or revised larger bearing, you will need to know your engine number in order to determine which one you have:

Engine (3.6) number up to M96/05 69507475 has the smaller IMS bearing and Engine number from M96/05 69507476 has the larger revised IMS.

"S" Engine (3.8) has designation "M97", can have the smaller IMS or revised larger IMS bearing:

Engine (3.8) number up to M97/01 68509790 has the older IMS bearing and Engine number from M97/01 68509791 has the larger revised IMS.

The smaller IMS bearing can be replaced, this requires removing the transmission in order to get access to the bearing. The flange uses a 13mm center nut.

The larger IMS bearing can also be replaced but a tear down of the engine is required. The flange uses a 22mm center nut."

Old 02-22-2013, 01:20 PM
Mine has the 3.6 with the larger (newer) IMS per the engine number.

Originally Posted by RickB
Not to open another extensive IMS conversation, but have you identified your engine code to determine if you should be worried?

If you identify you have an early engine, then yes. A later engine, no, not so much. Ultimately your call, but wanted to share in case you hadn't had a chance to read all the IMS info. IMS failure and a new engine can be about a $20K or so proposition, so knowledge is key.

Best of luck!!

If you haven't read it yet, this thread is very informative, among others:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...s-failure.html

As originally posted by HOLDEN997:

"From the 997 work shop manual I extracted the following information on which engine has the smaller or revised larger IMS bearing:

Base engine (3.6) has designation "M96", can have the smaller IMS or revised larger bearing, you will need to know your engine number in order to determine which one you have:

Engine (3.6) number up to M96/05 69507475 has the smaller IMS bearing and Engine number from M96/05 69507476 has the larger revised IMS.

"S" Engine (3.8) has designation "M97", can have the smaller IMS or revised larger IMS bearing:

Engine (3.8) number up to M97/01 68509790 has the older IMS bearing and Engine number from M97/01 68509791 has the larger revised IMS.

The smaller IMS bearing can be replaced, this requires removing the transmission in order to get access to the bearing. The flange uses a 13mm center nut.

The larger IMS bearing can also be replaced but a tear down of the engine is required. The flange uses a 22mm center nut."