997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

very rough idle, throwing codes everywhere...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 04:16 PM
spiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud of
very rough idle, throwing codes everywhere...

i'm in a bind - i am throwing codes P1511 and P1517, and in between those, ALL of my cylinder misfires plus P0300. my code description cheat sheet is at work and i am at home...any idea what these are?

very rough idle (if it holds idle at all) and hesitant in the low RPM's. thanks for any help you can give me tonight...

Old 02-25-2013, 05:10 PM
zer0-60 is a jewel in the roughzer0-60 is a jewel in the roughzer0-60 is a jewel in the rough
A Google search revealed:

P1511 Throttle adjuster
P0300 General misfire that is thrown when any cylinder has a misfire

Couldn't find P1517 but could be intake manifold / throttle actuator control according to this site: http://www.permoveo.ltd.uk/tabid/122...e/Default.aspx

Old 02-26-2013, 11:43 AM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
have u done any mod recently?

sounds like ur o2 sensor or MAF..

try cleaning the MAF first to see if the idle is smoother

keep us posted

Old 02-26-2013, 12:34 PM
spiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud of
nope no mods since last year but here's an update:

i unplugged the MAF and car purred like a kitten which i heard is a good sign of a bad/clogged MAF. the only slight issue i have with that rationale is that when i plugged it back in and tried again, it ran fine also - no more problem! wtf??? but i'm hoping it's just a fluke - like maybe it finally cleared whatever gunk was on there or maybe fiddling with the connector sort of "reset it" or something?? who knows but in any event i will clean it this weekend. i am thinking i will buy a new spare just to have on hand as well.

Old 02-28-2013, 06:44 AM
well, after cleaning the MAF, the MAF harness contacts, the throttle body harness contacts and changing the air filter...it runs fine and dandy, dare i say seemingly smoother than it was. (and i should note that not only am i a glass-half-empty guy, but i am a "glass-knocked-over-shattered-on-the-floor-broken-glass-embedded-in-feet pessimist/skeptic so when I actually think it feels like it's running smoother, it probably is!)

Old 02-28-2013, 06:49 AM
yvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of lightyvesvidal is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by spiffyjiff
well, after cleaning the MAF, the MAF harness contacts, the throttle body harness contacts and changing the air filter...it runs fine and dandy, dare i say seemingly smoother than it was. (and i should note that not only am i a glass-half-empty guy, but i am a "glass-knocked-over-shattered-on-the-floor-broken-glass-embedded-in-feet pessimist/skeptic so when I actually think it feels like it's running smoother, it probably is!)
Don't knock yourself down.... we all tend to become paranoid with these cars.

Yves

Old 02-28-2013, 08:03 AM
Originally Posted by yvesvidal
Don't knock yourself down.... we all tend to become paranoid with these cars.

Yves
true but i must say...even tho i've gotten off relatively lightly re: unreliability despite my mileage/track time, i'm beginning to be more and more wary of long distances, being stranded somewhere, etc. every new little glitch that pops up starts to riccochet in the back of my mind. oh well, the price of admission to the porsche club, eh?

Old 02-28-2013, 11:44 AM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
good to hear all is well.

do u run an after-market air filter (bmc, k&n, etc) ?

i 've heard of several MAF failure due to excess oil on the filter.

obviously, it would give u more peace of mind to know the cause of the rough idle

Old 02-28-2013, 11:47 AM
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos
good to hear all is well.

do u run an after-market air filter (bmc, k&n, etc) ?

i 've heard of several MAF failure due to excess oil on the filter.

obviously, it would give u more peace of mind to know the cause of the rough idle

always OEM filter (which was a tad dirty, btw).

Old 02-28-2013, 02:03 PM
chaycek is infamous around these parts
K&N filters that have the oil in them usually cause problems like this.

Old 03-01-2013, 08:30 AM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Now that's taking pessimism to the next level.
As for fiddling with stuff, never stop fiddling with broken stuff 'cause it might fix the problem or brake the thing you're fiddling with. Either way you're better off than you were before you started fiddling with stuff.