997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

K&N CAI Post-Install Question

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-25-2013, 04:34 PM
RickB is infamous around these parts
K&N CAI Post-Install Question

After installing my K&N CAI in my 05 C2S, I have a couple of extra bits; what appears to be a power cable that now goes nowhere along with what appears to be a vacuum line of some kind. Both were previously attached to the stock airbox, and the power cable is from the same bundle as the MAF connector. After installation, I test drove the car, no CEL's. Drove to work and back today (70 miles or so) and still no error conditions. Motor is running fine, no weirdness there.

I electrical taped and zip-tied the cable out of the way, but I am wondering what I can / should do with the vacuum line. Is this something I can just cap off? Any ideas?

Thanks!

Old 02-25-2013, 07:13 PM
BLKPPR is infamous around these parts
Post a pic of the cable. I installed mine no issue. Don't remember any loose wiring.

Old 02-25-2013, 07:21 PM
johnnyamerica is infamous around these parts
how is the performance improvement with the K&N?

Old 02-25-2013, 08:10 PM
I don't believe there is any to be honest. It sounds better and along with the gundo really wakes the car up from a sound perspective.

Old 02-26-2013, 05:38 AM
Just being honest. Realistically there is not much outside of a turbo or supercharger that is going to make a significant horsepower difference to these cars. My car is already fast enough and I drive my car hard all the time, I wanted it to sound as good as it looks that's why I changed to the CAI and gundo. The gundo hack is by far and away the best improvement you can make to make it sound better.

Old 02-26-2013, 09:13 AM
RickB is infamous around these parts
@BLKPPR

I'm at work now, but will snap some photos when i get home. Incidentally, is your car a 3.6 or 3.8?

I agree with you, the sound is better. Butt Dyno says about what BLKPPR, 100 HP gain?

I did the Softronic upgrade and definitely felt performance improvements from that, but can't really say on the K&N mod...yet.

Old 02-26-2013, 10:04 AM
I have the 3.6 but believe it is the same part number. It's actually the same kit as the 996 intake. I will double check

Mine is CPO so i did not want to flash it yet. And yes the gundo and cai feels about 100hp louder.

Last edited by BLKPPR; 02-26-2013 at 10:07 AM.
Old 02-26-2013, 02:30 PM
Rick,
It looks like the K & N intake kit was only made for the 3.6L engine. I spoke to my contact at K & N and he says they just never got a 3.8L car in for testing and therefore have not built a unit for it. The 3.6L unit may fit but they are not sure as they have never had a car in for review. That being said I had nothing left over after my install on my 3.6. I will be home around 6PM EST and will be happy to talk to you on the phone regarding what you may have left over as I can physically look at the car while chatting. Let me know and I can PM you my cell. May be good to grab a pic or two of your left over stuff and shoot them over to me. Here is my email caesar_girod@pepboys.com

Old 02-26-2013, 03:09 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BLKPPR
I don't believe there is any to be honest. It sounds better and along with the gundo really wakes the car up from a sound perspective.
Sounds like the Porsche marketing folks were targeting you with the introduction of the Sound Symposer in the 991.

http://www.sae.org/mags/sve/10374/

Old 02-27-2013, 07:30 AM
alpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of lightalpine-al is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by RickB
After installing my K&N CAI in my 05 C2S, I have a couple of extra bits; what appears to be a power cable that now goes nowhere along with what appears to be a vacuum line of some kind...
The vacuum line was connected to the resonator in your stock airbox. The resonator reduces the sound from the airbox. The resonator in the 3.6L airbox is active all the time unless one plugs the oulet. The resonator in the 3.8L airbox is activated over ~4k rpm via the vacuum tube. There's no resonator in the K&N warm air intake, so you can go ahead and plug the vacuum tube.

I have no idea what your extra electrical connection could be.