997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Hey Track/DE Junkies.....few simple questions for ya!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 04:38 PM
vpr80 is infamous around these parts
Hey Track/DE Junkies.....few simple questions for ya!

Was reading about doing some DE days, but I just had a couple of questions:

1) Are the PCA sponsored days only P-cars or any make/model? Are there any DE organizations that do only Porsche cars?
2) Whats the going rate for a used open flat trailer? I would hate for something to happen and not have a way to get home.
3) If I have a spare wheel set and just swap the wheels at home, do you still recommend bringing the street wheel set to the track? This requires a bigger trailer.

Porsche did a demo day at a local track last year so I tried it out and loved it. So now I'd like to do it myself, but a few YouTube videos later and I'm somewhat concerned with trashing the car. I'll get the HPDE insurance, but I would feel better if it was all Porsches and not mixed in $5000 Miatas.

Thanks

Old 03-13-2013, 06:47 PM
buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !buck986 Is a GOD !
Except for Zone 1 PCA DE at Watkins glen I know of no other all Porsche DE's in the NE. And I am not sure it even is all Porsche anymore. It may have changed last year.

Of course the PSDS in Alabama is all Porsche.

I'm no expert in trailers but you probable are looking at around 5-7k.

Old 03-13-2013, 08:18 PM
cibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the rough
All sorts of cars as of the last time I went to a DE with my PCA in my region to Roebling Road... Neons, Miatas, Honda Civics etc. mixed with a vast array of Porsches (some $5000 Porsches too), a couple of late model Ferraris, a Carrera GT, etc. At Sebring, with my region, I don't recall those kinds of cars but they may well be present too. It's been a while.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:05 AM
spiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud of
1) i'm sure each PCA region has it's rules so you'd probably be better off checking directly with your own. mine allows all makes and models and i've run with other groups - CHIN, FATT, NASA that do as well. i believe audi and bmw in my area also have open entry.

2) steel is cheaper but heavier: new they are about $2500 for basic (no tire rack, no tool box, etc) and used, about 1/2 that much. aluminum are lighter but can cost much more: youre looking at 4-6k used and upwards of 10k with all the goodies like a rack/box. considering they are in good condition, steel holds about 1/2 it's value over time, aluminum about 70%.

3) i change out my street tires at home and leave them there. i figure if i have a tire issue at the track, going back to slow street compound (from R-compound) will be more discouragement than not being able to run any more sessions. that being said, if i ever do get another set of wheels, i WILL bring an extra set of track tires along.

Originally Posted by vpr80
Was reading about doing some DE days, but I just had a couple of questions:

1) Are the PCA sponsored days only P-cars or any make/model? Are there any DE organizations that do only Porsche cars?
2) Whats the going rate for a used open flat trailer? I would hate for something to happen and not have a way to get home.
3) If I have a spare wheel set and just swap the wheels at home, do you still recommend bringing the street wheel set to the track? This requires a bigger trailer.

Porsche did a demo day at a local track last year so I tried it out and loved it. So now I'd like to do it myself, but a few YouTube videos later and I'm somewhat concerned with trashing the car. I'll get the HPDE insurance, but I would feel better if it was all Porsches and not mixed in $5000 Miatas.

Thanks

Old 03-14-2013, 07:09 AM
I think my local PCA also allows any make/model, but I'll double check. Just figured being a Porsche club, they would not be open to everyone.

Thank you for the trailer info. Do you know the difference in weight between steel and alum? Price-wise I wanted to be in the steel range so unless the trailer and car are over 7000lbs, I should be fine with steel.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:21 AM
spiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud ofspiffyjiff has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by vpr80
I think my local PCA also allows any make/model, but I'll double check. Just figured being a Porsche club, they would not be open to everyone.

Thank you for the trailer info. Do you know the difference in weight between steel and alum? Price-wise I wanted to be in the steel range so unless the trailer and car are over 7000lbs, I should be fine with steel.
i bought a used one from a buddy but here is the site:

http://www.econotrailer.com/Open.html

shows about 1600lbs for mine but some of them can balloon to well over 2k even without add ons. my yukon is rated at 7500 and does just fine. for aluminum you are looking at about 1000lbs but like i said, much more expensive, amost 3x as much.

http://www.trailex.com/CT-8045.cfm

depends on if you want bling...or money left in your wallet. one thing for sure, get electric brakes/make sure your vehicle has brake controller.

Old 03-14-2013, 07:32 AM
TrailerX ones are really nice, but those prices are astronomical. I was on CL yesterday and for the prices of the open ones, you can find basically like new enclosed ones for less money on CL.

Old 03-14-2013, 08:00 AM
raspritz is infamous around these partsraspritz is infamous around these parts
RMR PCA DEs are open to all makes, but I'd say >95% of the cars are Porsches regardless.