997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 iPod solutions: 12V to 5V adapter and extender

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-18-2013, 06:00 PM
CPT_Carrera is infamous around these parts
997 iPod solutions: 12V to 5V adapter and extender

This is a 1st post for me but hopefully someone out there finds it useful. I recently upgraded from a 997.1 C4 to 997.2 C2 Cab and now have the iPod interface with my stock head unit. Right away i was baffled with the USB cable required for charging later model ipod/iphone devices. i read a few threads out there from folks with the older style cables complaining that there cable did not charge their devices. I had no cable because the previuos owner took it with him when he traded the car i later came to own. i wanted to share a link posted below i hope some with this setup will find useful;

http://www.sears.com/xtenzi-charging...SPM6748843107P

This device should convert the in-line cable 12v charge to the 5v charge required for those later model apple devices if you don't have that Y-cable for the 997.2 cars

On my earlier 997 car I put the NAVTV Tooki Bluetooth adapter for phone control and iPod adapter to play audio. This setup was nice but the call-sound quality is really dependent on where you mount the NAVTV microphone. Mine was near my rear view mirror and the sound echoed a bit. On the 2010 Cab I found the Y-cable for my car so did not actually need the 12v to 5v adapter but found another cable others may find useful if they prefer to keep their apple device outside the tiny storage console between the seats.

http://www.nycshipsglobal.com/produc...product-search

this one posted may not be the highest quality but it works and I don't risk pinching the factory Y-cable because it stays inside the console completely and I run the dock extender cable out of the console. When I open the console I use caution to avoid damaging the wires inside but I can now continue to control my iPhone from the device for apps like Pandora.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:15 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
Good to know. The Y-Cable (that takes 5V charging power from the USB port) is around $40 or so from the dealer if I recal, so unless you want to keep a USB flash drive plugged in and use the iOS device at the same time, that Y cable is a more economical solution.

Old 03-19-2013, 01:59 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
I use this for a charging adaptor - save $15

http://www.scosche.com/cables-adapte...or-ipod-iphone