997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

s vs. 4s for winter driving?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2013, 12:01 PM
K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by PatrickBateman
Thanks for the thoughts guys... Im thinking i perhaps should have simply entitled my thread..."driving dynamics between S vs. 4S.

I am committing myself to driving whichever P car i end up buying in the winter. Too many years of driving great cars, but treating them like garage queens for 4-5 months out of the year just because salt or a bit of snow is on the ground... no more!

With my background driving heavy duty pickup trucks throughout the year, im quite farmiliar driving RWD vehicles in snow... The S carrera im thinking would be even better than a pickup in 2WD in the snow due to the added weight in the *** end.

I continue to prefer the driving experience,and thrill of the rear end of a rear wheel only P car wanting to step out from time to time, as to add to my paying attention to the roads,and the car, further connecting me to the car.

Did i mention that i drove the new electronic steering in the 991? (i know i did)... thought it was way too refined and "easy" to steer. Planning on getting out of my current car...2013 Audi S4 6MT, as i dont need 4 doors, and am not enjoying some of the cars issues,and lack of interstate punch.
around town, butt dyno says quicker than carerra S car...being an SC'd car.

Thanks!!
Obviously the off the line traction is better in the 4S. However, if you are really want good connection to the road, the 2S can't be beat. I drove a Merc C320 through several winters in Madison, WI and it fared well with a good set of snow tires, so I can't imagine the 2S is any worse.

I also had a 2011 S4 DSG for about 6 months along side with the 4S. My sentiments are the same. The steering is very light and numb. It's very easy to go fast around town and on highway due to the S/C. It did feel faster than the 4S despite being heavier and having less HP, but higher TQ.

Old 03-29-2013, 01:04 PM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by PatrickBateman
With my background driving heavy duty pickup trucks throughout the year, im quite farmiliar driving RWD vehicles in snow... The S carrera im thinking would be even better than a pickup in 2WD in the snow due to the added weight in the *** end.

I continue to prefer the driving experience,and thrill of the rear end of a rear wheel only P car wanting to step out from time to time, as to add to my paying attention to the roads,and the car, further connecting me to the car.
You are aware that there is zero comparison from a RWD pickup truck and a Porsche 911 (other than the RWD part). I don't want to be rude but its a strange thing to mention as if somehow they might be similar.

For starters the larger tire width size is a hindrance in slippery conditions. It actually causes more ability to "hydroplane" much easier. Compile that with the much lower profile and therefor much much smaller tire tread depth...you are dealing with an entirely different type of vehicle.

I dont want to sway you for a 4S if you have done your time behind the wheel of a 2S and really prefer it. But dont think that you will be even close to as competent in a 2S when the going gets tough as you would be in a 4S.

I literally drive mine every single day to and from work and around town for the past 3 years. I drove it all thru the huge amounts of snow we had in MA. Its not bad but your average car with all seasons is as good as my car during those times. The weight doesnt help as much because the tire tread is just not deep enough. And like I mentioned before once the back end loses traction it swings right around when speed is involved.

With that said. I do like the C2S quite a bit. It is fun in the snow even tho it is impracticle. If the area you live in gets only 2 months of bad weather consisting of temps below 45 and either rain or snow I would probably do the 2S as you will be fine. But if you get 4+ months of cold, wet, snowing, icy, slushy yuck that we get in MA and plan to DD thru all of it the C4S would be your better option.

Old 03-29-2013, 04:00 PM
PatrickBateman is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by gloves
You are aware that there is zero comparison from a RWD pickup truck and a Porsche 911 (other than the RWD part). I don't want to be rude but its a strange thing to mention as if somehow they might be similar.

For starters the larger tire width size is a hindrance in slippery conditions. It actually causes more ability to "hydroplane" much easier. Compile that with the much lower profile and therefor much much smaller tire tread depth...you are dealing with an entirely different type of vehicle.

I dont want to sway you for a 4S if you have done your time behind the wheel of a 2S and really prefer it. But dont think that you will be even close to as competent in a 2S when the going gets tough as you would be in a 4S.

I literally drive mine every single day to and from work and around town for the past 3 years. I drove it all thru the huge amounts of snow we had in MA. Its not bad but your average car with all seasons is as good as my car during those times. The weight doesnt help as much because the tire tread is just not deep enough. And like I mentioned before once the back end loses traction it swings right around when speed is involved.

With that said. I do like the C2S quite a bit. It is fun in the snow even tho it is impracticle. If the area you live in gets only 2 months of bad weather consisting of temps below 45 and either rain or snow I would probably do the 2S as you will be fine. But if you get 4+ months of cold, wet, snowing, icy, slushy yuck that we get in MA and plan to DD thru all of it the C4S would be your better option.
Thanks for the reply... You dont sound rude to me, but maybe you have not read the entire thread from start to now. i am stating my understanding of RWD vehicles as a side note that im not affected by them for winter driving....be it a pickup truck or whatever. RWD is RWD...tail happy no matter what the brand/type.

yea, i agree... 4 plus months of snow is tough...but the roads have snow on them for so little time until they are plowed. The 2s is the better driving dynamic for my driving style...although as mentioned before here, im loyal to AWD platforms and my last couple DD's have been Audi S4's with dedicated winter wheels and tires.

Any of you with AWD cars having any mechanical issues pertaining to the AWD system on your cars?

Thanks.