997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

s vs. 4s for winter driving?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 12:21 AM
PatrickBateman is infamous around these parts
s vs. 4s for winter driving?

Hello...looking into some 997s over next few weeks for a dd. Looking at 06 to 09 models.
I would like to drive it in the winter except for during storms.I drive rear wheel drive pickups regularily in the winter without issue.

I would like comments on how each could differ in snow driving between s and 4s.

Also, any thoughts on general driving mannerisims between the two models ..what your likes or dislikes may be.

I am coming from an audi quattro background, but have had it with the service visits on my current 2013 model. I dont need 4 doors, have no wife, or children that I know of.

My general concearn remains snow in the winters here. How much snow clearance will these have..? And yes, I will and always am a fan of dedicated snow and ice tires.

Thank you.

Old 03-28-2013, 04:20 AM
Beer brewer is infamous around these parts
I too came to Porsche from Audis and AWD BMWs. I now have a C2 and I can say that it's a wonderful winter car for the brutal Northeast......with the right tires. This winter has been horrible here, but my p-car, outfitted with Dunlop Winter Sports, has gone undefeated through the highest snow accumulations in over 30 years. One blizzard here dumped 29" of snow on us and my car had no trouble at all navigating the hideous road conditions. In fact, i wound up driving around picking people up for work after their Volvos and Ford Explorers couldn't get out of the driveway or went off the road...no kidding. So, I would say that even a RWD 997 is a very capable Car in the snow as long as these two conditions are met:
1. It is piloted by a competent driver who understands the peculiar dynamics of a RWD, rear-engined car in slick conditions, and...
2. Dedicated winter tires with good tread depth are fitted to the car.

Hope this helps!

Pete

Old 03-28-2013, 04:24 AM
Oh, I would add that I prefer the handling feel of RWD in these cars. Nothing against AWD but it feels odd to me in a 911. I feel like I am sacrificing little in the way of all-season prowess and benefitting 3 seasons per year by having a better balanced, more predictable, naturally handling car.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:48 AM
RaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of light
I don't get snow in Cali, unless I go to Tahoe, but the 4S is a more "stable" car to me. AWD should also be a better snow car than a RWD only. If I was going to drive a PCar in the snow 4S would be the choice.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:32 AM
plantagenet is infamous around these parts
Tyres make a much bigger difference than 4 wheel drive does. Don't get me wrong there will be some situation that 4 wheel drive makes a difference but on the Porsche its not the same type of 4 wheel drive you get on a Range rover. UK magazine did a test of a 2 wheel drive car versus a 4 wheel drive around the track during snowy conditions. The 4 wheel drive car was 10 seconds faster. They then put the 2 wheel drive car on to winter tyres and it went 45 seconds faster than the 4 wheel drive.

The extra feel of stability may come just from the larger rear on the 4, not driven one myself so not really able to comment.

Old 03-28-2013, 07:31 AM
raspritz is infamous around these partsraspritz is infamous around these parts
The 4 provides a huge advantage on snow, principally from the standpoint of not getting stuck (yes, I do know about tires too). On ice, you will still crash, but in a straight line. The 4 also has a totally different drive feel than the 2. I track both the 4 and the 2, and each has its merits (I can't think of any negatives); the 4 goes around corners like it is on rails, right up to the limit of tire traction. The bigger issue for Porsches in the snow is clearance (3 inches-ish); there is no way I could have driven any Porsche (including a Cayenne) through the huge snows we had here last Saturday.

Last edited by raspritz; 03-28-2013 at 07:35 AM.
Old 03-28-2013, 07:53 AM
kouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant future
Key here is the tires...

see the video below

A 4wd with summer tires will be worse than a 2wd with snow/winter dedicated tires.

And obviously a 4wd with winter / snow dedicated tires will be unbeatable! In my opinion in either choice meaning an S or a 4S if i would drive the car daily even during wintertime, i would invest in a set of winter wheels / tires...

Old 03-28-2013, 08:32 AM
My C2 must not know it's RWD!

I've not noticed any sacrifice in snow traction, braking or acceleration vs. my previous AWD cars.

Old 03-28-2013, 09:48 AM
Thanks for all your thoughts gents. Im leaning towards a more raw driving experience, where the predictibility and safety net of the AWD are not present for most of my driving habits.

I will drive both and see what dynamic i seem to enjoy better. One thing for sure, ill be getting S model with a few extra ponies for sure.
For those of you with winter setups, are you using traditional tire sizes in winter offerings, or going to a narrower wheel with spacers to achieve a decent looking poke for better tracking through any accumulated snow?

Thanks!

Old 03-28-2013, 05:47 PM
cfos is infamous around these parts
I can only speak regarding the S, but I used dedicated snow tires and have been fine for most years. However, this year, we moved to a slightly more elevated area. Coupled with the new locale and a more snow-filled winter, I finally had to retire the S from winter driving and pick up something "taller" and more child-friendly. Having said that, I never had troubles "... returning video tapes" in the snow with the S, the only problem was when the snow was deep/roads or driveways not plowed.

Old 03-28-2013, 06:26 PM
Talking

Well,i drove a 13 991 Carerra 2WD, and a 10 997.2 Carrera S model...both manuals.No 4's or 4s' were available to drive. I have other vehicles to drive in harsh winter storms, and i do not commute during morning and evening rush hours. For the 4 hard months of potential snow here in Mn, i would hate to sacrifice the element of excitement which the 2WD varient Carrera offers me, over the additional weight of the AWD P car.

Side note... The new 991 was like driving a cadillac... very refined...steering being electronic was a bit numbing....no feel to it. it has a larger perceived cabin...i looked in the back seats to make sure he didnt shove me in a panamera by accident!

Old 03-29-2013, 07:40 AM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
I came from an STI with Blizzaks. Arguably one of the best snow tires on a very fast AWD platform. My C2S has Pirelli Sottozero II as I do daily drive it (I have no other car).

I am going to go against the grain and say that I think the 4S would be a large improvement. The biggest downside that these cars have is when they lose traction the back end wants to swing around. If your front tires are actively pull the car it would help enormously with control in full heavily slippery conditions.

Now since I dont have a way to test my 2S against a 4S I cannot be sure of just how much of a difference it would really make.

I also happen to like the way AWD feels even on dry roads so that whole "pure" thing to me isn't an issue.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:33 AM
slammp is infamous around these parts
I have an 06 C4 which has Pirelli snows on the 19" factory lobsterclaws. Im in MA and it has been a rough spring at least for snow - no issues driving at all and I drive it daily. I will say that clearance will be an issue on unplowed roads, but as long as soemone at least made an attempt I have been in the car in some pretty horrible conditions and it drives fine.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:42 AM
K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !
I have gone up to Crystal Mountain and Snoqualmie Pass this winter with the 4S on snows and it handled perfectly.

Old 03-29-2013, 11:45 AM
Thanks for the thoughts guys... Im thinking i perhaps should have simply entitled my thread..."driving dynamics between S vs. 4S.

I am committing myself to driving whichever P car i end up buying in the winter. Too many years of driving great cars, but treating them like garage queens for 4-5 months out of the year just because salt or a bit of snow is on the ground... no more!

With my background driving heavy duty pickup trucks throughout the year, im quite farmiliar driving RWD vehicles in snow... The S carrera im thinking would be even better than a pickup in 2WD in the snow due to the added weight in the *** end.

I continue to prefer the driving experience,and thrill of the rear end of a rear wheel only P car wanting to step out from time to time, as to add to my paying attention to the roads,and the car, further connecting me to the car.

Did i mention that i drove the new electronic steering in the 991? (i know i did)... thought it was way too refined and "easy" to steer. Planning on getting out of my current car...2013 Audi S4 6MT, as i dont need 4 doors, and am not enjoying some of the cars issues,and lack of interstate punch.
around town, butt dyno says quicker than carerra S car...being an SC'd car.

Thanks!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: s vs. 4s for winter driving?