997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Love the 997, but still somewhat married to.....

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-28-2013, 04:10 PM
cab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud of
Love the 997, but still somewhat married to.....

No car is perfect, and that's given. But for people who had/has other favorite car, what can you say? I just thought I would ask. Me?

Other Car is a 911SC.
I missed being able to lower or raise the car using the factory settings.
I missed that the left and right mirrors are not mounted at exact locations.
I don't have to worry about coolant.
I can tear it apart with my eyes almost close.
I have the tools and equipment for it.
Being able to use 83 octane.
Most of all, being more in-tune and one with the car!

I don't miss the Bosch CIS injection.
Don't miss the lack of very poor air conditioning.
Somewhat unstable in the rain (well my 997 is a 4s).

I guess we never forget our exes.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:09 PM
SecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant future
I miss my Honda S2000.

It felt very tossable and nimble, in a way that the 911 isn't. The shifter on it was just legendary. Also missed going top down (my 997 is a coupe), and the *violent* acceleration when taking it to 9k - mine was supercharged so it was a bit more Jekyll & Hyde than a stock car.

Don't miss the farty exhaust making me deaf on long drives, the hard to live with light flywheel and heavy clutch, the near-zero ground clearance, or complete lack of torque down low. I regularly cruise in my 911 at 1000RPMs to save gas and I can accelerate up from that if I want - in the S2000 being under 2500RPMs means you're about to stall.

I'd be a little tempted to pick up another late model S2000 some day and leave it 100% stock. When driving aggressively the mods made it a joy, but for a day driver they ruined the car.

Old 03-28-2013, 05:17 PM
robsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond repute
I miss my '55 Speedster.....mainly because I paid 65K for it, sold it for 85K, and it is now worth over 200K!

Old 03-28-2013, 05:25 PM
Carnut12 is infamous around these parts
I have owned a lot of cars, I would say I miss my first Porsche the most, 88 911 Coupe. I sold it to pay for my wedding and buy a condo with my wife, I would do it all over again in a second. One of these days I will own another Air Cooled Porsche, I loved everything about it.

Attached Images   
Old 03-28-2013, 06:31 PM
DustySlider is infamous around these parts
I miss my S2000 too. Wish I had her and the 997.

Originally Posted by SecretAsianMan
I miss my Honda S2000.

It felt very tossable and nimble, in a way that the 911 isn't. The shifter on it was just legendary. Also missed going top down (my 997 is a coupe), and the *violent* acceleration when taking it to 9k - mine was supercharged so it was a bit more Jekyll & Hyde than a stock car.

Don't miss the farty exhaust making me deaf on long drives, the hard to live with light flywheel and heavy clutch, the near-zero ground clearance, or complete lack of torque down low. I regularly cruise in my 911 at 1000RPMs to save gas and I can accelerate up from that if I want - in the S2000 being under 2500RPMs means you're about to stall.

I'd be a little tempted to pick up another late model S2000 some day and leave it 100% stock. When driving aggressively the mods made it a joy, but for a day driver they ruined the car.

Old 03-28-2013, 08:20 PM
kurtis_h has a spectacular aura aboutkurtis_h has a spectacular aura about
I miss my '86 chev half ton!! Nothing special about it! Worth maybe $5000 but I sure coulda used it this weekend when I went to borrow grandpa's snowblower haha!!

Old 03-28-2013, 10:26 PM
AwesomeBMW is infamous around these parts
I definitely miss my '09 E90 M3 the most. Second most is my '08 Bullitt Mustang. The M3, in my opinion, is just the best every day, all-'round sports car there is.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	105_1494.jpg
Views:	1110
Size:	316.9 KB
ID:	225511  
Attached Images  
Old 03-28-2013, 10:53 PM
RaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of light
I miss my 997 ever night when I put her to bed!!

Old 03-28-2013, 11:10 PM
cab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by AwesomeBMW
I definitely miss my '09 E90 M3 the most. Second most is my '08 Bullitt Mustang. The M3, in my opinion, is just the best every day, all-'round sports car there is.

I always get amazed when people as young as you like sedan-like sports car. My friends since young always like Bimmers. I on the other hand love Porsches. We complement each other --- though as I grow older, I think I am going to buy a late 750 to assist my bones.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:21 AM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
There is just something about Subaru's that grab me. I don't know that I miss one more than the other I owned, but maybe the manufacturer.

Simple to work on and cheap to fix. Every type of mod at pennies compared to mods for the 997. Drive anywhere do anything AWD. If Subaru made a car that was as nice as an Audi but still kept the spunk of an STI and didn't cost as much as an S4 I would have a hard time sleeping at night...

I would miss the feel and the excitement that the 997 brings. I do like that it has a bit of status to it.

Old 03-29-2013, 07:42 AM
vector01 is infamous around these parts
good morning brothers! still living with both since I don't have any babies om-nom-nom-noming my money.

Originally Posted by DustySlider
I miss my S2000 too. Wish I had her and the 997.

Attached Images  
Old 03-29-2013, 08:03 AM
Banned
JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !
I occasionally look back with fondness on my Burgundy 1978 SAAB 99 Turbo that I owned 1980 - 82.

I once missed the Triumph Spitfire I had many years ago as well, so I bought one and restored it. After sinking $12K into the completed project, I drove it for a few months, sold it for $6500, and thought myself lucky. I'd forgotten what a POS these things were, and I also discovered I'm not as "bendy" as I was in my twenties.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:50 AM
mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !
There is just something about Subaru's that grab me. I don't know that I miss one more than the other I owned, but maybe the manufacturer.

Simple to work on and cheap to fix. Every type of mod at pennies compared to mods for the 997. Drive anywhere do anything AWD. If Subaru made a car that was as nice as an Audi but still kept the spunk of an STI and didn't cost as much as an S4 I would have a hard time sleeping at night...

I would miss the feel and the excitement that the 997 brings. I do like that it has a bit of status to it.
I've been trying to find a second car that is sporty and can double duty as a car to take to the snow. So far it's either a used S4 or an STI. Looking at the mods you can do on the Subaru... It's amazing what you can do for a couple of grand. But the styling and interior ugh!

Old 03-29-2013, 08:54 AM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by mattyf
I've been trying to find a second car that is sporty and can double duty as a car to take to the snow. So far it's either a used S4 or an STI. Looking at the mods you can do on the Subaru... It's amazing what you can do for a couple of grand. But the styling and interior ugh!
The S4 is a great car. But its rather high price rules it out as a second car...not that I have the money for any second car right now.

As for the STI...It took a while but I like the way the new model sedan looks. The wing is a bit much but hey its a Japanese Sports Sedan. And if you are into modding then yes it is a whole new world of cheap upgrades! The main thing to keep in mind that its not European. So it wont be classy and it wont be a supple fit and finish, something that Audi is quit good at.

Old 03-29-2013, 08:58 AM
tiyyara is infamous around these parts
The year was 1984, I was given a hand me down Mini Cooper 1275 GT.
Best car in the world.
25 liter gas tank. Seated 6 (we were skinny back then). Fast as lightning. (Compared to a bicycle). Just kidding, light nimble, sweet engine that like to spin and riddled with English break down charm.
Had no A/C. The heater occasionally worked. Eventually succombed to the chronic disease of rust.
I loved it, and still love it.
Looked at the new ones, to buy one for fun. Hated it. It is a small BMW 1 series and not a Mini
Mini may you rest in peace!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Love the 997, but still somewhat married to.....