997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

CD Changer Activation Using Autologic vs. PWIS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-03-2013, 08:37 AM
Salem997 is infamous around these parts
CD Changer Activation Using Autologic vs. PWIS

Hello,

I'm installing a Dension 500s this Saturday in my 2008 C2S. While I have the Navigation, I do not have a CD changer and my understanding is that I must have the CD changer activated for the Dension to work. My indy has a Autologic programming tool but isn't 100% sure if he can activate it with that. I've been told that the PWIS is required (I've confirmed Durametric will not work), so that means I'd have to go to the stealership which wants to charge $160 for the 15 min procedure...

Does anyone know if the Autologic tool can be used to activate the CD changer in a 997.1 with Navigation?

Thank you so much!

Old 04-03-2013, 10:48 AM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
I'm fairly certain you will need PIWIS - not even Durametric has coding to activate the CDC.

HOWEVER - please note - my GT2 does not have a CDC...but the Dension unit installed just fine without activating the feature. I have my own chinese hacked copy PIWIS with a Bosch KTS520, and did not have to plug it in.

Old 04-03-2013, 11:58 AM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
The PCM fiber optic loop might recognize (as a CD Changer) the Dension w/o having to do a PIWIS activation. Install it and see what happens. You might just 'luck' out.

If PCM doesn't 'see' it you should be able to find an independent Porsche shop w/ PIWIS that'll do for a lot less.

GL

Old 04-03-2013, 01:02 PM
Originally Posted by AP 997S
If PCM doesn't 'see' it you should be able to find an independent Porsche shop w/ PIWIS that'll do for a lot less.
Unfortunatley, I can't find an Indy around me (Salem, MA) that does... Hoping it works out of the box, but expecting to have to get the CD changer.

I called Autologic and one of their techs said it would work but noted problems when the installer doesn't have that the Autologic tool. I'm not sure why having it installed by one person and then activating by another would cause an issue... So I'm not totally confident in his response... Hoping someone here knows for sure or maybe knows and Indy in my area that has a PIWIS.

Thansk of the responses so far though!

Old 04-03-2013, 03:09 PM
timbit x is infamous around these parts
I just installed the Dension 500SBT into my '08 this past weekend.

Have navigation, no CDC.

Worked straight out of the box in Active mode. (Not in bypass, it causes the PCM to reboot).

But I'm not sure why I need it to work in bypass mode since everything is working as I want it as is. It recognizes it as a CD changer and the phone in PCM works perfect.

The only things I noticed is that you need to restart the ignition to have any settings you change to take effect. (Not just shut off the PCM by the on/off button).

Good luck!

Old 04-03-2013, 03:54 PM
Originally Posted by timbit x
I just installed the Dension 500SBT into my '08 this past weekend.

Have navigation, no CDC.

Worked straight out of the box in Active mode. (Not in bypass, it causes the PCM to reboot).

But I'm not sure why I need it to work in bypass mode since everything is working as I want it as is. It recognizes it as a CD changer and the phone in PCM works perfect.

The only things I noticed is that you need to restart the ignition to have any settings you change to take effect. (Not just shut off the PCM by the on/off button).

Good luck!
Thanks for the reply. So after the install, you left it in Active mode, turned off ignition, then restarted the car, and it showed up?

If you put in bypass mode, it would continuously reboot PCM until in Active mode?

Hoping that is case for me!

Old 04-03-2013, 05:31 PM
The setting I remember needing the ignition restart was after I set BT Audio to "on". The Dension worked after I installed it and turned on the PCM.

I have left it on Active since 2 reboots in bypass mode. So I have left it, I do not see any reason to put bit bypass mode. (Since I do not have a CDC and do not see how servicing my car would do any harm - both of which Dension advises when you need bypass mode to make it "invisible")

Old 04-03-2013, 05:35 PM
Oh yeah, one more thing. I have an iPhone 5 which is not recognized by the Dension unit because I have left the software version of the Dension unit to v43 or v44 (can't remember of hand).

The reason I left the software alone is there are a couple of threads in the last month of people complaining of major problems with v45 and v46.

Since BT Audio works great there is no need to plug in my phone to the Dension. (Why break what ain't broke).

Old 04-03-2013, 06:10 PM
Thanks a lot. I'll let you know how it goes Saturday. Fingers crossed!

Old 04-04-2013, 03:49 AM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, PIWIS needed, some indy's have the old machines to do this too.

Firmware: we released 0047 to our customers last week, it has improved some of the lingering issues.

iPhone 5: recognized from day one with the 500S, should not be an issue, regardless of firmware.

Old 04-06-2013, 12:20 PM
Worked right out of the box. It works great for Bluetooth streaming, but when I plug in my iPhone 4, it doesn't seem to recognize it... Very odd, but I think I need to figure out how to use the darn thing still. That said, I just wanted it for BT streaming. Thanks for the advice!

Old 04-06-2013, 06:16 PM
Is the iPhone 5 use a Dension adapter cable or just an adapter from old iPhone plus to new lightning plug??