997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

NEED INPUT...Buying 997S...advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-14-2013, 05:03 PM
plantagenet is infamous around these parts
Went through this process a couple of months ago. Made this hub page just to summarize what I learnt.

http://chrisstewart.hubpages.com/hub...-a-997-Porsche

The 996 is growing on me, the C4S 996 probably has one of the best butts of any 911. The turbo and GT3 996s are great cars and in many ways make far safer and wise purchases than the 997.1. Having said all that the 997 was the car I choose. Just love the curves it brought back to the car.

Old 04-14-2013, 05:35 PM
viger_gunshow is infamous around these parts
Another day of searching and almost had the '1' out of California on RennList Classifieds. It was 2005 #33 Launch Edition car. Page #9 (second from bottom) if anyone wants to see a clean car. Low miles fully loaded from factory ceramic brakes, black/black sold for $43,900 bux. Darn'it I was two days to late. Figures! Oh well everything happens for a reason. On to another day of searching. Am I on the right path - Rennlist, Pelican Parts Classifieds, rather than cars.com and autotrader.com or ebay motors. Wish 6speedonline had listings. Although they might I try to open and get zero listings - or must be I'm too new to forum. Which is odd - how can one get into the family if he/she can't look at what's for sale.

Another day of interest having $$$ in the bank (always looking at bright side).

Oh where are you my Atlas Gray Metallic 997 C2S with manual low miles and black interior. A real sexy girl will have some carbon bling on her interior and black wheels, tubi exhaust, etc. haha.

Bryan.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:02 PM
Anyone heard of these ppl? They have a black on black C2S look at link below:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...tus&listType=1

VIP Motors
(4.3) 3 dealer reviews | Write a review
2225 El Camino Real
Santa Clara, CA 95050
866-981-6593

Old 04-14-2013, 06:22 PM
Here's another I have considered. Going to fly in to our ALMS race early this week in Long Beach and check it out. Please share POV 6speed family.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...aff=invictus#0

Old 04-14-2013, 06:29 PM
NikosF is infamous around these parts
Check out my car for sale in the classifieds:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...era-s-cpo.html

Old 04-14-2013, 06:49 PM
Sharkys is infamous around these parts
That looks really nice - obviously modded with the HRE and intake and tips. Hopefully the DME will show no signs of abuse and the previous owner had minor issues taken care of under warranty. Problem areas in the early production models are but not limited to:

Peeling temp/fan control buttons - the pics show the buttons are good
Cracked exhaust tips - the picks show aftermarket tips
Sub standard battery to alternator crimping - check records
Waterpump - probably already replaced
A/C vents tend to break - check if they work
Check driver seat side bolsters for wear - meticulous owners know how to get into a 997

BTW, I have '05 Launch Edition C2S with approx 70K miles. The car has required nothing other than standard maintenance. It will need sunroof mechanism work because it does not tilt up. But then my Japanese SUV has already needed a new rear hatch motor and transmission. Rotors have virtually NO wear and I have approx 85/90% break pad remaining (original pads). Also the clutch is original. The car is a daily driver and in great condition. I have no warranty and expect to it to last for a long time. Don't shy away from an '05 997.1.

Last edited by Sharkys; 04-14-2013 at 06:54 PM.
Old 04-14-2013, 06:56 PM
Here is the screamer that has me puzzled with 17k miles.

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...tus&listType=3

Again, $46,900 OBO for a super low mile C2S CarFax looks good and always serviced at Porsche dealer in NC. Nothing major other than typical tires, fluids, and one battery.

Bryan

Old 04-14-2013, 07:04 PM
Thank you for quick feedback.

Originally Posted by Sharkys
That looks really nice - obviously modded with the HRE and intake and tips. Hopefully the DME will show no signs of abuse and the previous owner had minor issues taken care of under warranty. Problem areas in the early production models are but not limited to:

Peeling temp/fan control buttons - the pics show the buttons are good
Cracked exhaust tips - the picks show aftermarket tips
Sub standard battery to alternator crimping - check records
Waterpump - probably already replaced
A/C vents tend to break - check if they work
Check driver seat side bolsters for wear - meticulous owners know how to get into a 997

BTW, I have '05 Launch Edition C2S with approx 70K miles. The car has required nothing other than standard maintenance. It will need sunroof mechanism work because it does not tilt up. But then my Japanese SUV has already needed a new rear hatch motor and transmission. Rotors have virtually NO wear and I have approx 85/90% break pad remaining (original pads). Also the clutch is original. The car is a daily driver and in great condition. I have no warranty and expect to it to last for a long time. Don't shy away from an '05 997.1.
To be honest knowing is half the battle. And I find it hard to believe that by 2013 those problems can't or wouldn't be identified and rectified. So once fixed there shouldn't be any issues. Recalls or known issues typically get fixed and repaired by newest rendition. Meaning new AC controls due to typical peeling on 2005 models - Porsche dealers would be told to correct customer complaints with 2006 quality upgraded part. To make the customer happy as well as hold resale values and Porsches perception of quality. It's standard car biz crap.

Bryan

Old 04-14-2013, 08:42 PM
Bokchoys is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by viger_gunshow
Anyone heard of these ppl? They have a black on black C2S look at link below:

http://www.cars.com/go/search/detail...tus&listType=1

VIP Motors
(4.3) 3 dealer reviews | Write a review
2225 El Camino Real
Santa Clara, CA 95050
866-981-6593
I've driven by that dealership. They have lots of exotics and random old American cars. Never really went in. They have been at the location for a couple of years.

Seems a little expensive for a 2005 C2S

Old 04-15-2013, 07:42 AM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by cibergypsy
My car is a 2/2006 produced car and has the larger IMS, just like the later cars. My motor is an M97/01S (Powerkit). What is considered mid-year '06? If I am correct, the model year 2006 should have started being produced some time late 2005. Then, my February, 2006 car would be a mid-year 2006 model, wouldn't it?
It very well may be. My point to the OP offered some margin for error when looking at the early 997's regarding this issue. I agree with others here that the issue is over blown and I suspect the majority of the '06's had the larger bearing like yours.

Old 04-15-2013, 08:07 PM
Sharkys is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by viger_gunshow
To be honest knowing is half the battle. And I find it hard to believe that by 2013 those problems can't or wouldn't be identified and rectified. So once fixed there shouldn't be any issues. Recalls or known issues typically get fixed and repaired by newest rendition. Meaning new AC controls due to typical peeling on 2005 models - Porsche dealers would be told to correct customer complaints with 2006 quality upgraded part. To make the customer happy as well as hold resale values and Porsches perception of quality. It's standard car biz crap.

Bryan
I was mostly referencing early production models, But, Porsche didn't catch everything (they did with the peeling ***** in 06 however), but quite a few new owners of pre owned early production 997s are shelling to $900 +/- to replace their alternator cable. Also, most don't check to move AC vents on the test drive and assume they work. Many times, one of the two horns will go bad. True, all minor but it is what it is.

Old 04-16-2013, 06:19 AM
Flying to Chicago tomorrow

Originally Posted by Sharkys
I was mostly referencing early production models, But, Porsche didn't catch everything (they did with the peeling ***** in 06 however), but quite a few new owners of pre owned early production 997s are shelling to $900 +/- to replace their alternator cable. Also, most don't check to move AC vents on the test drive and assume they work. Many times, one of the two horns will go bad. True, all minor but it is what it is.
Going to look at Nick's 997.1 (see earlier thread) tomorrow. It has a CPO till May 2015 or 86,xxx miles. Today sits with 48,xxx miles. We've spoke several times and is a cool guy (he's a Porsche guy why wouldn't he be cool . Also, have the dealer looking for a 2009 997.2 base coupe. As HP is only 10 HP off from 997.1S model plus interior and block upgrades make it attractive. Few mods 997.2 is just as capable as the older version 997S.

Excited none the less. This part of the process is part of the experience. Can't wait to post my final result. Who knows if Nick and I can come up with a WIN-WIN deal I may be returning from Long Beach ALMS race stopping in Chicago and driving home. If so, I will be posting tweets and on this forum the whole way home.

Keep info coming 6speedonline familia.

Bryan

Old 05-08-2013, 06:57 PM
Well I am now a proud owner of a 2005 C2S with 27k miles. Manual, sport chrono, sport exhaust, full leather interior, alcantera headliner, black powder coated turbo factory wheels. In Seal Grey Metallic over dark grey leather.

>35 years of yearning is now over. Now the next week of waiting for the enclosed trailer to arrive is going to feel like 30 years!!!!!!

Thank you for all your advice. Accept all the IMS/RMS mess in my head. One thing is for sure after spending time with a few Porsche mechanics the deal is way blown out of proportion. If you maintain the car it's fine. And all of them said something that made a lot I'd sense.

"understand that most of the early cars were leased by people who car about the status not the true appreciation of what Porsche is...therefore...lets just say they don't maintain it to the letter (oil/service intervals) and drive them hard, over rev, etc.". And when there done they turn it in on the next one. It's the second owner on that purchases the cars that are mindful of proper maintenance, pampering their investment. Leasing is like an extended rental car program. And we all know how we treat rental cars LOL.

Thought it was an interesting perspective. And he said when he buys a car he runs from first owner lease units. He'd rather buy a car with three owners than one with a single lease or first owner lease and second owner. To each their own.

Bryan

Old 05-08-2013, 07:36 PM
mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !
As we often like to say... Pics or it didn't happen

Old 05-08-2013, 07:39 PM
Originally Posted by mattyf
As we often like to say... Pics or it didn't happen
Well I posted one in the album. And until the car gets loaded in Atlanta tomorrow and driven to Michigan kinda hard to do so. But once I get back from Leguna Seca this weekend I will unload drive and take a whole host of pictures. And post.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.