997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

NEED INPUT...Buying 997S...advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-12-2013, 08:07 AM
viger_gunshow is infamous around these parts
NEED INPUT...Buying 997S...advice

I am new to the board as of today...long time reader and follwer never joined bc I wasnt an owner. Well now I am happy (no estatic) to become a Porsche owner within next 30 days! After saving for years I'm pulling the trigger.

I have narrowed my search to 2005-2008 C2S (Black, Atlas, or White exterior) only want black interior and manual.

Here is my QUESTION and/or ADVICE needing answers or direction:
1. Despite the year and miles all the cars are close in price range (weird)
2. Found several 2005's (loaded) with 26k-50k miles price range $38-$45k
3. Yet 2006-8 with 40-45k miles in the same price range

Questions:

Is it better to purchase a newer year for the same $$$ although miles may be slightly higher? Knowing the 997.1 are pretty much unchanged YoY.

Thought process to the question - The bottom for these cars seems to be $32-$38k no matter the miles as there are many listed on cars.com, autotrader.com, ebay motors, etc. with 80k miles and still asking the basement prices. So my thought is why not buy a 2006/7 middle of the 997.1 era and in three years when I want to upgrade to a 997T or a 991S I can pretty much calculate the going rate for the car...thoughts?

What year to buy and why? 2005, 2006, 2007, 2008
Is there any glaring mechanical issues or problems with one year over another?
Where to find a good clean car (other than sites listed above). Dealers outside of Audi/Porsche don't typically know Porsche. When a Toyota dealer is selling a Porsche and calls it a 'S' and it is clearly not (3.6L, black gauges, etc.) Talk to the salemen and doesn't know the car (frustrating) and he still wants to negotiate a high price and has no idea what is in front of him/her (Pissed customer LOL). Although, can work in your favor if it underpriced (missed one of these Blk/Blk S with Tubi cat back, Techart carbon steering flatbottom wheel asking $36k w/28k miles). I walked in to look at it and a fellow Porsche aficiato just bought it minutes before I walked in. We talked and he was like "This tool bag had no idea what the car was and I actually bought it for $34,900. Man was I dissappointed. It was so clean and well taken care of (divorce situation so I was told)

Look forward to hearing your advice and long time relationship on this forum. Will post photos of my new baby within the next 30 days!

Bryan

Old 04-12-2013, 08:25 AM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
I'll give you the short answer. Stay away from the '05's and up to mid-year production '06's. After that, buy the newest car you can afford. High mileage cars that where highway driven not so bad. Multiple owner high mileage cars I would avoid. Avoid anything that has been involved in a collision. Want more details, there any many many posts on the subject. Good luck in your search.

Old 04-12-2013, 08:46 AM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
I wouldn't rule out an 05 car. Yes you have the IMS issue but its at least a serviceable item in the 05. That being said, buy the newest car you can afford that gives you the options you want. Rule out the hot potato cars and ones with troubled pasts and take your time. Wen you find the right car you'll jump in with both feet and won't look back.

Good luck hunting!

Old 04-12-2013, 08:56 AM
Maturola is infamous around these parts
Short answer... on my very personal opinion, after searching and looking for the right car for 2 years, I would stay away from 05's.

Your target should be 07+, less than 40K miles. that would be your best value for the money. high miles is not too bad, just make sure you get a over rev report (in cae of manual). and it should be fine.

Old 04-12-2013, 09:19 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Agree with everyone else, although IMS issues with the 997.1 are rare and based on the rennlist poll, it mostly affects low mileage 05'. I would stay around from the stress. You have guys buying extended warranties and losing sleep over this. I would avoid that headache. Get a late model 06' and newer with CPO and you'll sleep better at night. Although it's CPO, I would still get a PPI, some choose not too and have to deal with the problems that they found out later.

Old 04-13-2013, 10:23 AM
Thank you all for the input. I worked with/for Penske for many years (through our shared racing efforts). I have his network of dealers (Porsche/Audi/BMW) looking for potential new buyers of new 991 and have my 997 in their garage to trade. Im confident his network can/will find the right piece. Now I will narrow my search based on feedback. Although I do NOT have the luxury of waiting two years to find the exact perfect match. As I am in the process of relocating to Texas and sold my daily driver SRT Jeep (ordered a new 2014 w/eight speed). So this is my daily driver for about 3 months until my new SRT comes in. That truck is crazy fast and by far the best SUV I've drive. And yes I've drove the Cheyenne GTS dollar 4 dollar no comparison.

The 997.1 I will be seeking is: 2006-2007 manual, S 3.8L, stereo being redone with 7" Alpine and Focal speakers/amps/sub (So stereo nav not a concern). Miles around 30-45k. Get rev history on the car. And expect to pay what? As prices on line and at dealers is all over the map! Knowing Penske Cars will give me a good deal - how will I know a smoking deal verses a good/fair deal?

What do you guys think?
A. $38-$42k
B. $43-$45k
C. Over $46k

Respect,
Bryan

Old 04-13-2013, 10:57 AM
cibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the roughcibergypsy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Dadio
I'll give you the short answer. Stay away from the '05's and up to mid-year production '06's. After that, buy the newest car you can afford. High mileage cars that where highway driven not so bad. Multiple owner high mileage cars I would avoid. Avoid anything that has been involved in a collision. Want more details, there any many many posts on the subject. Good luck in your search.
My car is a 2/2006 produced car and has the larger IMS, just like the later cars. My motor is an M97/01S (Powerkit). What is considered mid-year '06? If I am correct, the model year 2006 should have started being produced some time late 2005. Then, my February, 2006 car would be a mid-year 2006 model, wouldn't it?

Old 04-13-2013, 11:04 AM
Yes. And I have seen the IMS issue rarely. And from what the mechanic I play golf with (local German OEM) said he's certain Porsche would whatever needed to make it right if I bought a low mike (<30k mile car) if something did go wrong. It's in their best interest.

Insurance is not a factor nor is fuel mileage. But do find it odd that a 2005 C2S is $200-$300 less every six months over a similar miles/equip 2007 model. Yet standard 3.6L cars 2005-2008 are all within 25 bux. Weird! And can't determine why that it.

Old 04-13-2013, 11:05 AM
Oops 'why that is..."damn iPhone.

Old 04-13-2013, 12:36 PM
Maturola is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by viger_gunshow

The 997.1 I will be seeking is: 2006-2007 manual, S 3.8L, stereo being redone with 7" Alpine and Focal speakers/amps/sub (So stereo nav not a concern). Miles around 30-45k. Get rev history on the car. And expect to pay what? As prices on line and at dealers is all over the map! Knowing Penske Cars will give me a good deal - how will I know a smoking deal verses a good/fair deal?

What do you guys think?
A. $38-$42k
B. $43-$45k
C. Over $46k

Respect,
Bryan
You should be on B (maybe low C).. depending on CPO, and condition, it should be between 45ish and 48ish.

Old 04-13-2013, 01:44 PM
Super Adjuster has a spectacular aura aboutSuper Adjuster has a spectacular aura about
Another thing to consider on these older models is paint and windshield condition. The hood and windshield might be chipped and pitted just because the cars are so low. The rear fenders might also have "patina". A new windshield is about $1000 and paint is not going to be cheap. If you want a great looking example, it's gonna cost you. However, if it's perfect looking it might be a garage queen with lurking mechanical problems like water pump, alternator cable, and IMS (2005). Also, you should shop a good extended warranty. I went for a 4 year $0 deductible and I've had about $3k of work done in the first year (water pump and alternator cable).

Old 04-14-2013, 12:15 AM
hot nikon is infamous around these parts
Buy an 09 997/2.

Old 04-14-2013, 12:16 AM
mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !mattyf Is a GOD !
Below is my generic 997.1 advice, but let me add this little bit... if you're looking to get in on the cheap pay close attention to little things like gaps on the door jams and check the paint closely, make sure you are not getting a car with a sordid past. Also these cheaper cars can be a little ratty. Make sure you go over it with a fine tooth comb and learn all the little things you're going to have to live with.

As for the model year, early 06 was the switch over but LN has an oil lubed solution to the IMS bearing, so I wouldn't rule the 05 out. The PCM was updated in the 06 model and can play mp3 on the cd player, but all models have horribly out dated nav options.

My generic super neurotic check list: (in no particular order):

- tires matching (brand as well as N number) & tread left
- hard starts when warm (TSB on alternator cable and perhaps needs changed?)
- oil consumption? (these cars can burn oil, but it's good to know what you're getting)
- sooty left exhaust pipe? (normal, but could also mean AOS is going or scored cylinder in right bank)
- paint meter, signs of accidents
- DME scan, 1,2,3 ok... 4,5,6 consult your risk adversion. Also check for error codes
- shifts smoothly
- service history
- coolant cap has the newest rev, old ones leaked
- battery in service date (these cars kill batteries, generally last 3-5 years)
- spoiler squeak? (pretty normal, little silicone can fix)
- check the alignment on a test drive, make sure wheel is straight and it doesn't pull
- bolster wear on driver seat as well as scuffs on door jam (tell how careful previous owner was getting in and out)
- hood or bumper too clean? These cars are rock chip magnets, depending a bit on mileage a super clean bumper could mean a respray which could mean a fender bender.
- smooth idle
- squeaks and rattles? (it's a sports car, so it's bound to have them. Drive with the windows up and listen for them. Use it as a negotiating tool if you can)
- ac buttons peel
- curb rash
- learn the options... full leather, bose, PSE. Learn what the must haves are for you and what is just gravy.

Edit.. Don't rule out the grey interior. I though I only wanted black as well, but I wound up with an Atlas with full grey inside it's a nice contrast plus the grey stays cooler inside.
- bose is better than not... but still not that great.

I'm sure there's more neurosis, but I'm drawing a blank. I'll fill in more as I remember.

Last edited by mattyf; 04-14-2013 at 12:25 AM.
Old 04-14-2013, 12:27 AM
Sharkys is infamous around these parts
There is nothing wrong with an '05 997.1 C2S. You are buying a used car and anything can happen. But the IMS issue is definitely overblown.

Old 04-14-2013, 06:58 AM
Thank you for feedback.

Originally Posted by mattyf
Below is my generic 997.1 advice, but let me add this little bit... if you're looking to get in on the cheap pay close attention to little things like gaps on the door jams and check the paint closely, make sure you are not getting a car with a sordid past. Also these cheaper cars can be a little ratty. Make sure you go over it with a fine tooth comb and learn all the little things you're going to have to live with.

As for the model year, early 06 was the switch over but LN has an oil lubed solution to the IMS bearing, so I wouldn't rule the 05 out. The PCM was updated in the 06 model and can play mp3 on the cd player, but all models have horribly out dated nav options.

My generic super neurotic check list: (in no particular order):

- tires matching (brand as well as N number) & tread left
- hard starts when warm (TSB on alternator cable and perhaps needs changed?)
- oil consumption? (these cars can burn oil, but it's good to know what you're getting)
- sooty left exhaust pipe? (normal, but could also mean AOS is going or scored cylinder in right bank)
- paint meter, signs of accidents
- DME scan, 1,2,3 ok... 4,5,6 consult your risk adversion. Also check for error codes
- shifts smoothly
- service history
- coolant cap has the newest rev, old ones leaked
- battery in service date (these cars kill batteries, generally last 3-5 years)
- spoiler squeak? (pretty normal, little silicone can fix)
- check the alignment on a test drive, make sure wheel is straight and it doesn't pull
- bolster wear on driver seat as well as scuffs on door jam (tell how careful previous owner was getting in and out)
- hood or bumper too clean? These cars are rock chip magnets, depending a bit on mileage a super clean bumper could mean a respray which could mean a fender bender.
- smooth idle
- squeaks and rattles? (it's a sports car, so it's bound to have them. Drive with the windows up and listen for them. Use it as a negotiating tool if you can)
- ac buttons peel
- curb rash
- learn the options... full leather, bose, PSE. Learn what the must haves are for you and what is just gravy.

Edit.. Don't rule out the grey interior. I though I only wanted black as well, but I wound up with an Atlas with full grey inside it's a nice contrast plus the grey stays cooler inside.
- bose is better than not... but still not that great.

I'm sure there's more neurosis, but I'm drawing a blank. I'll fill in more as I remember.
That is great advice and well thought out. But to be clear nobody is trying to get 'Off Cheap' as what I'm buying and wanting is right is the market sweet spot. Sure there are cars to be had for $38-40k but yes these would be on the cheap side and to ALL of your points they have hidden little nuggets of history or untold truths if you will. Now the cars listed from $42-46k are priced normal (dealer and private seller) for a 2005-2006 with 30,xxx to mid 40,xxx miles. 2007 in that range are a dime a dozen in that range but miles are typically mid 40's to super low 50,xxx miles. These are CARFAX clean, no accidents, nicely appointed units. The problem lies with some ppl hiding facts and from what I can gather is stay away from cars.com, autotrader.com, and the like. I have determined that staying within boards like 6speed, Pelican Parts Classifieds, and the like. As there are fine Porsche aficionados such as yourself that either know and vouch for the unit being sold or quickly call BS on somebody jumping on a board to flip a 'lemon'. Therefore, I am in fact doing my homework on the quirky things known about particular years, reoccurring problems, aftermarket items to avoid, etc.

I have been following and admiring Porsche my entire life. Seriously been bitten at a young age like the commercial seen and heard one around 8 and been in lover ever since. Then later in my teenage years a relative moved from corvette when they went to MIS-fire injection and stupid body design in 1984 and bought a slantnose. Then a 993 Turbo in the 90's. I drove the 993 and was forever hoopked. I work in the Motorsports world and am around fine automakers YoY and week after week. I've owned several American sports cars, Harley's, Jesse James Chopper, crotch rockets, etc. and then got married and tried 8+ years trying to have children. Due to complications we spent u disclosed amount of resources trying artificial methods, etc. next adopted with success, then invetro for our second. I wouldn't trade any Porsche or amount of $$$ to change that fate. Although, I could have bought three cars at this price or a new 2013 C4S loaded with every option with what it took to make having a family a realization. Again wouldn't trade it!

Now after 7 years of getting my house finances back in order (which with the economy crashing) was even harder. But none the less was accomplished and through those years I've set aside extra $$$ to raise enough capital to fulfill my dream and goal 'park a 997' in the 3rd stall of my garage. So I appreciate the feedback as the car will be my first girl and will NEVER be sold. She will be passed down and others will come and go (next a 991 C2S) maybe in three years. But this 997 will be cherished and kept. Well kept at that. Haha

Hope this sheds light on where I'm coming from and solidifys my standpoint. These cars are works of art and yea there are sexier looking exotics such as F430's, Lamborghini's, Audi R8's. But these IMO are flashy look at me cars. Not fine sports cars that are driven to enjoy and marvel at the substanciate the effective joy owning and DRIVING a true icon. It's the only car in the market that has evolved over 40+ years and never revolutionized or reborn 'All new' every life cycle - rather improved and refined. Note the 996 was a mistake and sorry if I offended anyone - but that is the only model that I can't and have never considered a 911. When the 997 came out my love affair was rekindled if you will.

Thank you all again for your advice and direction. And I look forward to future comments.

Respect,
Bryan 'gun_show'

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.