997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Broken Coil spring

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-24-2013, 06:57 AM
shoss is infamous around these parts
Broken Coil spring

After having my 40k service being done last week I walked out this weekend to my car looking like this...got it towed to the dealer on Monday and he diagnosed a broken coil spring which broke all the way on the top of the spring.

According to them this is extremely rare for 911's and they only have seen it on track cars that hit a curb, has anyone of you guys ever had this happen to you?

My car is used as a DD on Chicago roads but I'm carefully avoiding all potholes, I do have to drive sometimes over very rough streets but do this very carefully.

Attached Images  
Old 04-24-2013, 07:14 AM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
Never seen that before, unless as the Porsche service department said, the car had taken a hard hit. Has the car ever had any suspension mods done?

Old 04-24-2013, 07:39 AM
Nope it is still the stock suspension from 2007 on it and during my ownership it has never taken a hard hit or anything close to it. In regards to the previous owner I can't say that it had or hadn't.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:30 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
That's a first for me as well for a daily, especially happening out of the blue like that. It's a perfect time for some H&R Sport Springs So you didn't notice anything when it broke while you were driving ?

Old 04-24-2013, 09:34 AM
I recognized the day before when I picked up the car from the dealership that it was slightly pulling to the right it felt like, but I wasn't sure if it was due to the bad roads in that area or not. After that I parked it at home and the car was still fine, the next day when I wanted to take the car out I recognized that the spring was broken, but nothing of it had shown the last time I was driving it the previous day.

What is the price difference between the OEM spings and H&R lowering springs? As I'm getting from my insurance a check for $900 to do the replacement and an alignment.

Old 04-24-2013, 09:51 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
That's crazy, I know this time of the year is horrible on any car at least until they start getting some of the bigger pot holes fixed pot holes fixed. To view the price difference Click Here. The OE set is just for the rear while the H&R is for all four springs. If you have any other questions or pricing concerns feel free to PM me.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:13 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
My guess is that this has been progressing over a period of time. If the fracture surface has a general corroded look to it with a small section of clean material then it's likely been a slow progression. The clean section would be the last section to fail.

The rear spring is a lot easier to replace than the front. Take the dog bones out and the shock will drop out without much effort. It most likely won't change the alignment. However, I'd check it anyway.

Old 04-24-2013, 12:17 PM
Agreed, I'll take a look at it once they are replaced, as my dealer is willing to replace both rear springs and do a 4 wheel alignment at cost so I'll even have a couple hundred bucks leftover from the insurance money. And I only owe the Porsche dealer a bottle of Vodka :-)

Old 04-24-2013, 01:38 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
Ask the dealer to leave the nuts and bolts hand tight and tighten them after driving the car onto the alignment rack. That will allow the bushings to settle. If everything is tightened while the suspension is in full droop the car will settle 'after' the alignment. It will still settle some just not as much.

Old 04-25-2013, 02:38 AM
johnnyb2016 is infamous around these parts
Sadly becoming more and more common here in the UK......................

Old 04-25-2013, 07:13 AM
Alan C. Thanks for the tip! I just advised my dealer to do this.

Old 06-07-2016, 12:22 PM
Abnafees is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by shoss
Agreed, I'll take a look at it once they are replaced, as my dealer is willing to replace both rear springs and do a 4 wheel alignment at cost so I'll even have a couple hundred bucks leftover from the insurance money. And I only owe the Porsche dealer a bottle of Vodka :-)
I broke a coil on my 07 as well. Is it a recall since they're willing to do it?
Not sure how to approach this?

Thanks.