997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

All new sound and navigation in 2007 Carrera Coupe

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 10:11 AM
evhudsons is infamous around these partsevhudsons is infamous around these parts
I had turned the dsp headunit processing off before calibrating, I'm assuming that is still the way to do it. On the jl amp I have turned filtering off, so no hp or lp filtering. The sub amp I have the lp filter on. so the gain should be the same on each channel.

Last edited by evhudsons; 06-18-2013 at 10:13 AM.
Old 06-18-2013, 05:08 PM
chaforjohn is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ryem3
Are you changing the amp as well?
I am running a separate amp, but was planning to go with a passive 3-way. I guess I'll have to run another set of wires for the mids since they're shared with the tweeter. Don't have/don't want to take up the space to run a 6-channel or two amps.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:27 PM
evhudsons is infamous around these partsevhudsons is infamous around these parts
Wow, I took your advice and turned the volumes way down during calibration and what a world of difference! I turned the jbl-ms8 volume down to -45, and the headunit volume ALL the way down. I also turned the gain on the subwoofer amp way down too. What I don't understand is how I turned the sub gain so far down but after calibration there is PLENTY of bass but perfectly integrated into the rest of the system, meaning I did not have to turn the sub amp gain back up as I expected I had to do. It sounds fantastic.
The only thing I'm missing is to put midranges in with it's own run of wires. I think that will really help blend it all in for the final count. My wife was loving the tunes and remarked how much better it was by far than when it was bose and even before this last calibration. She kept asking what I did because she couldn't believe the difference.

thanks gasongasoff, that was the trick indeed!

Old 06-18-2013, 07:32 PM
the crossovers and slopes I left as they come up on the menu. I know I can change them and at some point I will experiment. I think the fronts were crossed at 3500, 12db, and 24 slopes or something. I'll double check again and write them down. I read somewhere that 4500 made some people think the tweeters sound better but I haven't tried that yet.
just for giggles, I did use the stock rears but will try again without them. I would like more power to the fronts and the rears don't match, plus they don't put out sound that much to the front seats, and of course essentially no one rides in the rear and when they do I don't have the music on loud.
I love the processor lots of tweaking opportunities, and now it's really working well. The voicing is much better, dang good actually, and the timing is so nice which really adds to good recordings, especially acoustic guitars and such.