997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Substitute for Porsche?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-10-2013, 06:31 PM
Ghost Rider1 is infamous around these parts
While I wouldn't give up my 997.2, I recently went to watch drags for the first time, and had the opportunity to watch a ZR1 in person. I have a new found respect for the performance of that automobile. The car is an absolute beast. With that said, I still don't feel the fit and finish of the Corvette are comparable to that of the Porsche.

Last edited by Ghost Rider1; 05-11-2013 at 01:04 PM.
Old 05-10-2013, 07:05 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Recently a 500?awhp Subaru did a 7:55? at the 'Ring. Its still a heavily modded, turbo lagged, low rent interior car. I'd pass if I could afford a 911, C6Z and numerous others.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:13 PM
Gary B has a spectacular aura aboutGary B has a spectacular aura about
Sorry Chevy fans, I'm not smoking what you must be!!! My 2006 C2S has NOT a single rattle or vibration in it anywhere! I know a vet of the same age cant say that. There is a reason you have found yourself on a Porsche forum, your searching for something else. I respect the history of the vet and nostalgia of the Americana it represents but there truly is no substitute for a 911.

Old 05-11-2013, 08:59 AM
gonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jcsperson
It's interesting to see which cars attract the most attention at these events. At the local one in Raleigh, people will walk past rows of Porsches, BMWs and garden-variety Corvettes to see the Vipers, ZR1s, R8s, Cobra replicas, exotics, hot rods and customs. A '36 ****** with a 570 cu. in. hemi got infinitely more attention than a GT3. The problem with the 911 line is that they all look alike to everyone but a Porsche aficionado.
Interesting - I usually don't even notice (or have no interest in) those you've referenced other than the R8. Maybe it's just the 'folk' (or sort of like) on the show "RU Faster Than a Redneck" - too funny on the 36 ****** (passé) getting more attention than a GT3.

To each their own

Old 05-12-2013, 12:12 AM
DoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond reputeDoninDEN has a reputation beyond repute
Well, I think the point is they have always been significantly different cars relative to where they really shine. Both awesome in what they do best. I'm not a professional racer, so I don't have the ability to compensate with my driving abilities on a track for the differences. Is it still finesse vs. raw power?

Old 05-12-2013, 06:55 AM
FlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of lightFlaHeel is a glorious beacon of light
Since I started this mess I may as well weigh in.

I have not driven the "new" Corvette however I did own a 2008 Convertible. I hated that car with a passion. I could write a page or two on my dislikes but bottom line is it felt cheap, in a lot of ways.

Maybe I did not give the Corvette a fair chance, this is my 4th 911 compared to 1 Corvette, but I feel way more at home in the 911.

Old 05-12-2013, 08:08 AM
wc11 has a spectacular aura aboutwc11 has a spectacular aura about
It's interesting to see which cars attract the most attention at these events. At the local one in Raleigh, people will walk past rows of Porsches, BMWs and garden-variety Corvettes to see the Vipers, ZR1s, R8s, Cobra replicas, exotics, hot rods and customs. A '36 ****** with a 570 cu. in. hemi got infinitely more attention than a GT3. The problem with the 911 line is that they all look alike to everyone but a Porsche aficionado.

To tell you the truth, for the most part the Porsche and Corvette guys stand around with each other and talk about their own cars. The only Porsches I ever look at are the old ones. It's a little nostalgic to look at ones of the same vintage as the '69 911T I had years ago.
Very odd statement. Your 36'***** would stand out anywhere as it's so rare. How many survivors are there? Bring a Carrera GT or Ferrari Enzo to a classic car event and the same happens. Also, it's Raleigh. A stock pick up truck gets more attention than an import sports car.

What is most interesting about this thread is how the Vette lovers are justify their love for the Vette. If that's what you like, have at her and enjoy yourself. Not my cup of tea but that's me.

But I'm not one to jump into the Ferrari, Lambo, Lotus, Vette or Honda, Subaru forums for that matter to say how much better my brand is.

Just don't see the point.
"Different strokes for different folks"

Last edited by wc11; 05-12-2013 at 08:11 AM.
Old 05-12-2013, 08:15 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
What does that even mean? It sounds to me like you're saying, "I paid tens of thousands more for a slower car with nicer leather and paint," and are trying to justify it with meaningless platitudes.

To me, "no compromises" means the manufacturer builds a car to a quality standard and prices it based on how much it costs to build.

I think "for the money" means that the manufacturer builds to a performance standard, and makes compromises in other areas to meet their desired performance/price point.

There is nothing wrong with either approach. Buyers in both cases know what they want. You look at it as getting X amount of quality. I look it as getting X amount of performance.
Good post.

People look at their cars differently, expectations, personal requirements (mental checklist, etc...). For some, there is no substitution for Porsche. For others, there are other brands that offer various blends of similar performance, similar quality, etc... I'm glad there are choices.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:46 PM
2fas4u is infamous around these parts
Exclamation prefernce!

Some people just like buying American. My indy works on pcars but has had several z06's.
He just buys American like the many grandmas who drive Buicks. We all know Hondas and Toyotas are better at least they were and yet many American grandmas continue to buy Buick. Just plain old preference. Me I'm on my fourth Porsche in 20yrs.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:03 PM
char6656 is infamous around these parts
Interesting thread. In the past couple of years I have had a Zo6, 911, 360 spyder and presently a Shelby Gt 500. Every car has had its positives and negatives. It seems like in the past ten years there are so many incredible performance cars available that I no longer am chasing the top performance car because there is always something faster. Instead it is about look and how it makes me feel. 1960's Corvettes and 993 seem to be what are doing it for me know. I do have to say that the new C7 looks to be quite the car but there will be too many of them around and I will get the feeling I do not have anything special. That is why I am currently looking for a 993 TT.

Old 05-13-2013, 05:06 PM
char6656 is infamous around these parts
Another comment in general ...........The Corvette fills a rather large niche market quite well.........world class performance at a relatively affordable price. If the interior is as advertised this car will do quite well

Old 05-13-2013, 06:55 PM
Nossuh, ain't nuthin' but us rednecks down heyuh. We don' know nuthin' but NASCAR and pull't pork down heyuh.

Seriously man, have you ever been to Raleigh?

You do know this area is home to three major universities, a number of world-class hospitals, the nation's foremost pharmaceutical research center, and is the state capital, right? It's at least as cosmopolitan as, say, Ottawa (I've been there).
It's all in good fun

Old 05-13-2013, 08:18 PM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Yeah. What the hell would you know? You only drive a car that handles well, with gobs of power, and has great brakes. You're completely unqualified to comment here.

I think I'm actively (hopefully temporarily) rebelling against Porsche's rising prices and options/packages. Audi is on my bad list as well ($30k+ in options). When/if this stops, I think I'll be back. Until then, I'm going to stick with cars that come one way - loaded.

Old 05-14-2013, 05:39 AM
Well, at least your hockey team is better than ours.
Not anymore

Old 05-23-2013, 06:34 AM
Interesting blog bit:
VERY exciting news!

I can't wait to see how the new Z06/ZR-1 stack up.

I had not contemplated a ZR-1 (in favor of the Z06) before... (not really sure why) But it seems this may end up on our radar (just have to shake the 'Vette stigma with the wife). The problem that we find is that 'Vette's are everywhere, and difficult to tell the base $50k model, and the supercharged 638HP $100k+ model apart, without a close examination (made more difficult by other trims, such as Grand Sport, etc...).

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Substitute for Porsche?