997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Substitute for Porsche?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2013, 07:46 AM
sixgun95 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
VERY exciting news!

I can't wait to see how the new Z06/ZR-1 stack up.

I had not contemplated a ZR-1 (in favor of the Z06) before... (not really sure why) But it seems this may end up on our radar (just have to shake the 'Vette stigma with the wife). The problem that we find is that 'Vette's are everywhere, and difficult to tell the base $50k model, and the supercharged 638HP $100k+ model apart, without a close examination (made more difficult by other trims, such as Grand Sport, etc...).
Plus you have to be on social security to own one. Nothing personal intended. Its a fact the vette demographics are 50-65 yrs old, thats why the huge change with the C7, trying to hit the late 20's +.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:50 AM
RaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
VERY exciting news!

I can't wait to see how the new Z06/ZR-1 stack up.

I had not contemplated a ZR-1 (in favor of the Z06) before... (not really sure why) But it seems this may end up on our radar (just have to shake the 'Vette stigma with the wife). The problem that we find is that 'Vette's are everywhere, and difficult to tell the base $50k model, and the supercharged 638HP $100k+ model apart, without a close examination (made more difficult by other trims, such as Grand Sport, etc...).
Does it matter if the public can tell which model you have? You should feel good about which model you have and not worry about. Nothing wrong with the stealth mode....no advertising which model you have.

IF, and a big IF, I bought a vette, I would buy the top model, but you have to accept that it may not be all you want. Porsche makes a GTS & GTR's for just that....a special car...limited run.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:59 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RaidersR1
Does it matter if the public can tell which model you have? You should feel good about which model you have and not worry about. Nothing wrong with the stealth mode....no advertising which model you have.

IF, and a big IF, I bought a vette, I would buy the top model, but you have to accept that it may not be all you want. Porsche makes a GTS & GTR's for just that....a special car...limited run.
It matters to the wife. I'm also big into - buying the top model. I recall the Z06 having quite a good feel on track. I really don't remember why I didn't prefer the ZR-1. I guess, perhaps the same reason people prefer a GT3 to a GT2?

One thing I really like about the GT-R, there is no base model, no shared chassis with other cars or models - just one (basic) trim level (with variations, premium, BE, Track Pack, Egoist, Gentlemen, VIP, etc...). Those different trims may include CF wing, different color trim on the interior, different wheels, etc..., but they are all practically the same, with the same standard features (still almost no cost options).

Old 05-23-2013, 11:43 AM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
That would include the no cost big grin encased in your helmet while on track.

Plus you have to be on social security to own one. Nothing personal intended. Its a fact the vette demographics are 50-65 yrs old, thats why the huge change with the C7, trying to hit the late 20's +.
And there I was feeling bad about turning 66.

Last edited by Alan C.; 05-23-2013 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:44 PM
mseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of light
With all this talk about cost vs performance, im surprised there is not more noise about the Shelby gt500. I started shopping for a leftover Z06 recently as a stablemate to my GTS Cab, but I drove away with a brand new Shelby. 662 stock HP for around 60k is tough to beat. And as alluded to previously in this thread, it's a totally different experience From the Porsche, whereas the Z06 has some overlap. The handling of the Shelby doesn't match a 911 or Z06, but at 1.0g it's no slouch either. And the motor and transmission feel really, really nice. Brutish, beautiful, and no excuses. And no gas guzzler tax. That takes some pretty good engineering IMO. And while existing vette customers represent a certain demographic, and there are many stereotypes about them, I've yet to read about a Shelby stereotype or demographic.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:41 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by mseligson
With all this talk about cost vs performance, im surprised there is not more noise about the Shelby gt500. I started shopping for a leftover Z06 recently as a stablemate to my GTS Cab, but I drove away with a brand new Shelby. 662 stock HP for around 60k is tough to beat. And as alluded to previously in this thread, it's a totally different experience From the Porsche, whereas the Z06 has some overlap. The handling of the Shelby doesn't match a 911 or Z06, but at 1.0g it's no slouch either. And the motor and transmission feel really, really nice. Brutish, beautiful, and no excuses. And no gas guzzler tax. That takes some pretty good engineering IMO. And while existing vette customers represent a certain demographic, and there are many stereotypes about them, I've yet to read about a Shelby stereotype or demographic.
Those are certainly valid points. But for a track car, I would pass.

I question the brakes being able to withstand 4000lbs at the speeds it carries for a track day, the solid rear axle is not great, and the seats and interior are not up to the same caliber. Outward visibilty, especially the right front is pretty poor too.

No doubt a fun car, and in the Top 20 around MRLS, but not as ideal as the others.

But wouldn't turn one down either!

Old 05-23-2013, 06:51 PM
1analguy is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by sixgun95
I'm not sure what the C7's age demographic will ultimately be, but I've owned Corvettes continuously for the last 37 years (I'm 58)...and the C7 styling has me here looking at 997.2s. It's as though Chevrolet is saying to me "thanks for your support for all those years, but we no longer require your money." I know the C7 will be a step forward, but I just can't see buying a car that I have to look away from when I approach it.

And BTW, in case there's anyone left who doesn't know already, Jeremy Clarkson is an Olympic-caliber jackass. Just saying...

Last edited by 1analguy; 05-23-2013 at 11:56 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:10 PM
mseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of lightmseligson is a glorious beacon of light
[QUOTE=Deuuuce;3855504]Those are certainly valid points. But for a track car, I would pass.

I question the brakes being able to withstand 4000lbs at the speeds it carries for a track day, the solid rear axle is not great, and the seats and interior are not up to the same caliber. Outward visibilty, especially the right front is pretty poor too.

No doubt a fun car, and in the Top 20 around MRLS, but not as ideal as the others.

But wouldn't turn one down either! [QUOTE]

With the svtpp and track pack, I'm optimistic the brakes will be good enough for some DE's. Also, I have to disagree about the seats. The optional leather Recaros are very nice and very comfortable. As for the interior it's true to an old American muscle car. No leather dash, no ventilated seats, no excuses.
Also, there are some intangibles when it comes to car shopping. When I drove the SS Camaro, not so impressed. When I drove the Z06 I loved the power, but it felt kind of insubstantial. But when I drove the Shelby, all I can say is I had a big smile, the seats were comfortable, the car was solid, the drivetrain felt superb, and I wanted it.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:34 PM
Carnut12 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by mseligson
I love my Shelby, you nailed it, it is much different than the 911, but honestly it is in a good way. To me you can not beat the American V-8 Exhaust note, especially the Mustangs. Also the Raw Power in unreal.

Congrats!!!!!!! You will love it. If I had to get rid of my Shelby or 911 it would be a very hard choice, thankfully it is not something I have to do. I love owning both. I drive my 911 more because I actually consider my Shelby the Garage Queen nice weekend only car.

Last edited by Carnut12; 05-23-2013 at 08:38 PM.
Old 05-23-2013, 08:57 PM
wc11 has a spectacular aura aboutwc11 has a spectacular aura about
Old 05-24-2013, 02:05 PM
Carnut12 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by wc11
That is the 2007 Model, the new one is light years better.

Old 07-16-2014, 03:29 PM
Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !Deuuuce Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos
obviously not in your world.

u probably bench race, too, huh ?

BTW did u ever drive the 997 ? Do you even have a Porsche to compare with or are u just trolling ?

my 911 is at least 6 years behind in automotive advancement..

so, yes, i prefer to defer my judgement until at least i test drive the new stingray..

i do know that Chevy used 911 as their benchmark in developing the handling for their new corvette
If it wasn't for the reputation you sent me, I would have forgotten this. So lets see, as an automotive journalist, after hot lapping the C7 and reviewing a Cayman S PDK, my pick is the Cayman.

The C7 may bruise the shin easily with the dashboard design protruding into the doorway. The redundant, non-intuitive rev-match downshift buttons behind the steering whee, the Chevy parts-bin radio interface and tire scrubbing when u-turning all reminded me its a GM, as nice as it was.

The Cayman, despite the horsepower deficit, is definitely my pick and probably the best sportscar under $100k. Refinement, technology, packaging, efficiency, etc.

But hey, I'm not a real journalist so what do I know?

Old 07-16-2014, 03:54 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
Sounds like some of the argument or debate can be identified as quantity (HP) VS quality and which one an individual prefers.
NO one car has it all IMO.

Last edited by cerbomark; 07-16-2014 at 04:03 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:46 PM
3POINT8 is infamous around these parts
I just can't get past the terrible design and the meatheads who drive them...

Old 07-16-2014, 04:56 PM
Mp5o is infamous around these parts
Having owned both a C6 ZO6 and now a 997, I must say that the Porsche experience far outweighs that of the Corvette. With that said, the ZO6 smokes the 997... Pick your poison. To me the Corvette just always felt like it was missing that special "something".

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Substitute for Porsche?