997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Track tire pressure for Michelin SS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-12-2013, 08:51 AM
Hatzenbach has a spectacular aura aboutHatzenbach has a spectacular aura about
Track tire pressure for Michelin SS

Will be using Michelin SS for he first time to the track next weekend. (First track day for he tires, not for me ;-)
Looking for some advise where the sweet spot is in tire pressure on the track.

Thanks

Old 05-12-2013, 11:18 AM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
Do you mean the pilot super sports? If so, I started out at 32/36 and should have released some pressure as the day wore on. I found that as the surface warmed up and the pressures got up around 44 on the rear that the started to get a little greasy. That being said, I'm a super novice and had other things to concentrate on so hopefully someone else can validate that.

Old 05-12-2013, 10:12 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
I used 30/34 on a cool day and the hots ended up at around 35/41 on my GTS. It took a couple of laps to get the temps up to temperature.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:15 AM
rye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the rough
Do a search and see what you find. I know there was a very extensive post from someone who tested the SS's for 2 days and came up with his thoughts on the perfect pressure. I remember thinking his reasoning seemed very sound.

Old 05-13-2013, 10:17 AM
rye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the roughrye595 is a jewel in the rough
Old 05-13-2013, 12:11 PM
kouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant futurekouzman has a brilliant future
i did a couple of DE's with my old 997.2 3.6 on the MSS. What i had noticed is that anything of 40psi hot, the car would slide more... So i used to start the session as low as 32psi. i was running the factory 18s, size 235/265...

Same results when autocrossing... Anything over 40 the tires slide more... To me the sweet spot is 38-40 hot...

Now with my 997.2 4S, running again on the MSS, i notice the same thing when autox. Anything over 40 the car slides more... Based on that, i am assuming it will be the same at DE events. Now again i am running the factory 19s 235/305...

Old 05-13-2013, 11:08 PM
Originally Posted by rye595
Cool :-)

Many thanks, very informative

Old 05-20-2013, 08:20 PM
What I learned this weekend on the track (Laguna - Seca):
The sweet spot for me seemed to be between 34 and 36 PSI (hot).
As soon as the tires reached 38 PSI I noticed that the tires started to slide more.
And that poses the following question:
The tires gained between 6 to 8 PSI from cold to hot. So if I am aiming for 36 PSI, I would have to start with a pressure below 30 PSI. What's the lowest "safe" pressure where I don't run the risk of damaging the tires?

Old 05-20-2013, 08:49 PM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
Did the pressures increase with subsequent runs or did you reach those numbers in the first cycle? At thunder hill I noticed the tires getting slightly higher readings with each session but that could have been me pushing the car more as the day went on.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:54 PM
they went higher in the range as the ambient and track temperatures went up.
So basically after each session (except the last) I had to let like 2 PSI out

Old 05-20-2013, 09:00 PM
Good to know. I think I'll start out around 32/36 and feel that out and then ease down as needed. I always bring a small compressor with me to add some back for the ride home.

Old 05-21-2013, 11:59 PM
seapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of light
Depending on track conditions, ambient temperature the PSS in my experience I run cold 29/32 on my GT3; 34/37 on my C4S. I find that I try to keep the rears around 36 hot Rears; 34 Fronts; above 40 they get that greasy feeling. Have been on the track when it is raining and ambient temperature in the 40s -50s and they hardly bump up in psi. And I second that to add some air via a portable compressor for the ride home.

Old 05-22-2013, 09:08 AM
I'm heading down to buttonwillow this weekend where I expect the ambient temps to be unpleasantly around 90. I'll post my findings when I return.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:45 PM
seapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of lightseapar is a glorious beacon of light
But it's a dry heat.
Start hydrating a couple days before and during the day; Find a friend with shade cover and have fun.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:05 PM
Originally Posted by seapar
Depending on track conditions, ambient temperature the PSS in my experience I run cold 29/32 on my GT3; I find that I try to keep the rears around 36 hot Rears; 34 Fronts; above 40 they get that greasy feeling. Have been on the track when it is raining and ambient temperature in the 40s -50s and they hardly bump up in psi. And I second that to add some air via a portable compressor for the ride home.
Are these Michelin SS on the GT3?
Any idea what's the lowest pressure you can safely start on on cold tires?

Thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Track tire pressure for Michelin SS