997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

looking to do first detailing job

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-21-2013, 12:11 PM
kurtis_h has a spectacular aura aboutkurtis_h has a spectacular aura about
wow great info guys thanks so much. going to do the wifes honda civic first lol. thanks again for all info provided guys!!!

Old 05-21-2013, 12:31 PM
BLKonBLK911C4S is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by kurtis_h
wow great info guys thanks so much. going to do the wifes honda civic first lol. thanks again for all info provided guys!!!
If it makes you feel any better my first real detail job was on my Porsche. It is not hard, just time consuming. I went to the Autogeek site and watched a dozen videos for technique and sifted through the detailing forums for product recommendations. As long as you use an orbital buffer you can't ruin your paint and if you tape off the black seals you went turn them into white eye sores.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:11 PM
Malexgcab is infamous around these partsMalexgcab is infamous around these parts
Subscribed.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:35 PM
Carnut12 is infamous around these parts
I think trying it on your wifes car is a great idea, it will give you more confidence. How bad is your paint? Black is hard, does it have a lot of swirls?

Old 05-21-2013, 07:46 PM
vg247 has a spectacular aura aboutvg247 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos
u r correct.

it should be '...polish, seal, wax, wait, wax.' although, many times, i've skipped the sealant

like u stated, its a good idea to use sealant, then apply caruba wax to bring out the depth.
Thanks for confirming Carlitos

Old 05-21-2013, 10:23 PM
sixgun95 is infamous around these parts
Autogeek is the best, hands down! Been using them for years, great products and customer service. #1 in my book.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:35 PM
FormerExpert is infamous around these parts
So far I have been using a claybar then hand polish and hand wax with great results. I would like to look into a polisher but am a little apprehensive about possible damage I could inflict due to inexperience. How hard is it to properly use the polisher, and what brand/model is recommended ?

Old 05-22-2013, 02:42 PM
You are lucky because your paint is a light color and does not show imperfections as badly as black. There is no way you are getting as good as a shine out of your wax as you could by using a polisher. Your car cannot shine as well as a car with no imperfections and it is impossible (maybe next to impossible) to get the imperfections out by hand. I bet if you took a high powered light to your car you could see the swirls in the paint. You might also be filling them in with what every you are finishing you car with and temporarily masking them.

Polishers are easy and an orbital will not damage your paint Always section off a test area and use the least cutting polish first. Wipe and see what it looks like. If it removes all of the swirls then there is no need to go with a heavier cut. I use the 6" Griot Garage with a 5" backing plate and 5 1/2" pads. Excellent results. PC (Porter Cable) are good machines and on the higher end is the Flex (but it is pretty pricey). I actually broke my Griot on my first use. I had it sitting around for 6 months. Since they warranty the unit for life, they sent me a new one no questions and I sent back the old one....GREAT customer service!

Last edited by BLKonBLK911C4S; 05-22-2013 at 02:48 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 08:15 PM
Originally Posted by Carnut12
I think trying it on your wifes car is a great idea, it will give you more confidence. How bad is your paint? Black is hard, does it have a lot of swirls?
my paint isnt terrible but some swirls and stuff. will be giving it a go tomorrow. ill post my results and thoughts after my first attempt. thanks everyone for all the great advice actually looking forward to it more than dreading it like before this thread lol

Old 05-22-2013, 09:06 PM
sixgun95 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by FormerExpert
So far I have been using a claybar then hand polish and hand wax with great results. I would like to look into a polisher but am a little apprehensive about possible damage I could inflict due to inexperience. How hard is it to properly use the polisher, and what brand/model is recommended ?
Autogeek.net. All your options and I am sure they will have a sale this weekend. I have the PC7424, 9 yrs old, works perfect. I recommend you start by buying one of their kits. If your goal is to remove swirl marks then I recommend 2 orange pads, 2 white, 2 red. Buy a 6 Pack and get them all. Another great option is Adams www.adamspolishes.com , you can buy the swirl remover, polish and protectant that is color matched to the pad - great for a rookie. I buy Adams direct from their website, not avail at autogeek. Adams just simplifies it and they are top notch products, one of my favorites.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:15 PM
Old 05-22-2013, 10:18 PM
Detailed Image has some good stuff and is running 20% right now with $4.95 flat rate shipping over $49.

http://www.detailedimage.com/?utm_co...der-05-22-2013

Old 05-23-2013, 11:05 PM
thank you all so much for all the advice. did my first clay, swirl removal, polish and wax today!!! couldn't be happier! everything went great.......... mountains here I come!!

Name:  ForumRunner_20130523_230310.png
Views: 119
Size:  716.4 KB

Old 05-24-2013, 07:29 AM
robsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond reputerobsled has a reputation beyond repute
Maybe a little late to the party......but I would use any other product besides zymol. It is over priced, hyped up turtle wax that will last a couple weeks before you notice it needs re-doing.

Old 05-24-2013, 08:42 AM
Former Vendor
ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !ECS Tuning - Porsche Is a GOD !
Looks great Kurtis !! We offer a bunch of different from Chemical Guys that you might also be interested in. For more information Click Here. Enjoy and take a few more pictures when you get a chance.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: looking to do first detailing job