997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

1/2 quart of oil every 300 miles what to do?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-30-2013, 07:16 AM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Gpjli

Really? Let me be the first: RTFM wherein R= read and M=manual.
Ummm...Too many Red Bulls?
Thought he knew something I missed.

Old 08-30-2013, 09:12 AM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
The manual for his 997.2 (2011 C4S) says check while idling. The Porsche bulletin from post #40 above was for 997.1. Here's what the 997.2 manual says:

Conditions for measuring the oil level
1. Vehicle stationary.
2. It is important to ensure that the vehicle is horizontal for correct oil level measurement to occur.
3. Engine must be at operating temperature (at least 140 °F/60 °C).
4. Engine must be idling.
So he read the manual. Good. Actually I thought I had deleted this post and replaced it with "What does your manual say?" just to cover myself. Thanks for setting this straight. G

Old 08-30-2013, 09:17 AM
Gpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud ofGpjli has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by eldertec
Ummm...Too many Red Bulls?
Thought he knew something I missed.
LOL. See above. You knew the answer all along. Must have been a trick question Did't know that procedure was different from .1 to .2. Actually wondered if you had an air cooled motor. Enjoy, Gerry

Old 08-30-2013, 09:40 AM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
Had a .1 , it was the same procedure...at idle.

Old 08-30-2013, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by eldertec
Had a .1 , it was the same procedure...at idle.
No. Re 997.1: "check oil with engine off" When engine is up to oper temp you turn it off and with switch in position you wait for gauge to count down and give you a reading. Did you read the manual for that one or are you thinking of that 930,964, 993 (996?) you used to love so dearly?

If you are thinking of a dipstick you have the wrong car in mind. G

Last edited by Gpjli; 08-30-2013 at 10:08 AM.
Old 08-30-2013, 10:16 AM
U are correct, for the .1 I use to check the oil level at the gas station after fill up with the car off.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:07 AM
I wish it had a dipstick. Oh well.

Old 08-30-2013, 11:08 AM
cab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud of
heh heh heh I stayed away from this since I suspected about the .2 ----

I have always hated the 'no dipstick' design.

And guys, perhaps apologies are due here.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:39 AM
cai
cai is infamous around these parts
After the first "check oil warning" I checked the oil level and the warning disappeared. Will I get a second warning later as the level keeps getting lower?

If there is a second warning, about how many quarts of oil will be left and at what point is it "critical" to add oil? A dealer said that the car has about 8 quarts of oil left when the first warning to check the level comes on.

I ask this because I am traveling on a long journey and in case I cannot get to buy adequate oil for 100 or 150 more miles. I do carry a quart with me at all times, but round trips may be in the thousands of miles.

Thank you

cai

Old 12-16-2013, 12:06 PM
Originally Posted by cab83_750
heh heh heh I stayed away from this since I suspected about the .2 ----

I have always hated the 'no dipstick' design.

And guys, perhaps apologies are due here.
I accept your apology ex post facto as it may be

Old 12-16-2013, 12:13 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by cai
After the first "check oil warning" I checked the oil level and the warning disappeared. Will I get a second warning later as the level keeps getting lower?

If there is a second warning, about how many quarts of oil will be left and at what point is it "critical" to add oil? A dealer said that the car has about 8 quarts of oil left when the first warning to check the level comes on.

I ask this because I am traveling on a long journey and in case I cannot get to buy adequate oil for 100 or 150 more miles. I do carry a quart with me at all times, but round trips may be in the thousands of miles.

Thank you

cai
It's all explained in your owners manual.

Old 12-16-2013, 12:27 PM
[QUOTE=cai;4003327]After the first "check oil warning" I checked the oil level and the warning disappeared. Will I get a second warning later as the level keeps getting lower?

Cai:

If you checked the oil and then the light went out I would think that the oil level is borderline low and that the gauge will again go off when the level drops a bit further.

In order to avoid confusion regarding oil monitor please indicate what model car you have and that you read the manual. Usually one step on a P gauge is .4 qt low but I have only knowledge of 997.1. If you did not check it properly the results are not reliable.

Last edited by Gpjli; 12-16-2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 10:16 PM
cai
Thank you for the response. The car is a 997.2 and the manual does not say much more than what I described above. I, however, find this oil measurement system that is used in these cars to be very, very iffy. It seems as if the slightest difference in the level of the pavement gives a different reading. Also, one is not able to measure the oil without starting the engine and waiting for it to warm up. And, even though the gradations are said to be equal to 0.4 qts, as you and the manual point out, I hesitate to treat that as a reliable measure. My garage shows a level floor, measured with a long carpenter's level, however, nowhere else is the oil measurement level shown as being the same, including parking areas that are supposed to be level. I have decided to use the garage as the reference point and see how it goes from here.

By the way the car is not consuming one quart per 300 miles. It gives much more than that and as you say, on a long trip I will just have to carry one or two quarts just in case. I do happen to drive the car aggressively; or as aggressively as it is safely possible and the police allows me when they are not around. I wonder if that has anything to do with oil consumption?

cai

Old 12-17-2013, 09:45 AM
[QUOTE=cai;4003774]Thank you for the response. The car is a 997.2 and the manual does not say much more than what I described above. I, however, find this oil measurement system that is used in these cars to be very, very iffy. It seems as if the slightest difference in the level of the pavement gives a different reading. Also, one is not able to measure the oil without starting the engine and waiting for it to warm up. And, even though the gradations are said to be equal to 0.4 qts, as you and the manual point out, I hesitate to treat that as a reliable measure. My garage shows a level floor, measured with a long carpenter's level, however, nowhere else is the oil measurement level shown as being the same, including parking areas that are supposed to be level. I have decided to use the garage as the reference point and see how it goes from here.

By the way the car is not consuming one quart per 300 miles. It gives much more than that and as you say, on a long trip I will just have to carry one or two quarts just in case. I do happen to drive the car aggressively; or as aggressively as it is safely possible and the police allows me when they are not around. I wonder if that has anything to do with oil consumption?

cai[

Each engine burns different amt of oil due to tolerance stacking. Drive it like it was meant to be driven. Yes to using same spot to measure. This is a must. Suggest: down 2 steps add 1/2 qt so as not to over fill and remeasure. Remember it is stepped so you are somewhere within .4 qt at the best. If you get slight overfill just drive it off. Don't get crazy about it. On first long drive engine will purge condensation and level will reflect this. This a good thing and not real oil loss. Have a great trip, it's a great car. NB: the red low oil indicator on the dash means shut the engine off there is a problem.

Last edited by Gpjli; 12-17-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old 12-17-2013, 11:57 AM
cai
Thank you Gpjli for your comments. I shall keep them in mind.

cai