997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Trouble removing key from ignition

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 12:00 PM
pvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nice
Trouble removing key from ignition

This has started happening a few weeks back and it is consistent (meaning: it happens every time I turn off the engine and try to remove the key).

Please note: I have been driving this car for 2.5 years and it is my 4th 911 (so it's not like I just got into my first P-car and I'm not used to how the key/ignition combo is designed to behave, whatever that means).

I stop, turn off the engine and turn the key to the far left and pull. Nothing. 'The Sword in the Stone. Key won't budge. I have to fiddle with it three-four times back and forth, until it 'finds' a position that allows me to pull it out.

Any ideas anyone? I worry that the additional strain on the key fob from all the turning/twisting may cause accelerated wear/breakage of the fob, besides whatever else may be going on.

Old 06-17-2013, 12:04 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pvanosta
This has started happening a few weeks back and it is consistent (meaning: it happens every time I turn off the engine and try to remove the key).

Please note: I have been driving this car for 2.5 years and it is my 4th 911 (so it's not like I just got into my first P-car and I'm not used to how the key/ignition combo is designed to behave, whatever that means).

I stop, turn off the engine and turn the key to the far left and pull. Nothing. 'The Sword in the Stone. Key won't budge. I have to fiddle with it three-four times back and forth, until it 'finds' a position that allows me to pull it out.

Any ideas anyone? I worry that the additional strain on the key fob from all the turning/twisting may cause accelerated wear/breakage of the fob, besides whatever else may be going on.
Maybe time for a new battery before the key gets "captured" permanently or at least until you change the battery. How old is your battery?

Old 06-17-2013, 01:08 PM
pvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nicepvanosta is just really nice
You mean the car battery or the key fob battery?
The car battery is 15 months old.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:13 PM
slammp is infamous around these parts
Sounds more like the ignition should be replaced.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:19 PM
re: ignition replacement?

Bummer. I will take it in for its 60K service (to an indy, considering the mods I made to the engine) in 2 months or so (and get brake pads and rotors done on all 4 corners as well). Should I be ok until then (I know, it's like asking 'if I had a sister, would she like cheese?' )?

Is this something that will get progressively worse?
Or (potentially more worrying), will it one day simply trap the key without prior warning?

Old 06-17-2013, 01:22 PM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
I had a friend who got his key stuck in a jeep years ago. Had to have the column replaced. I would suggest some graphite powder asap...so long as its safe for car ignitions

Last edited by gloves; 06-17-2013 at 01:31 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 01:44 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by pvanosta
You mean the car battery or the key fob battery?
The car battery is 15 months old.
Car battery - next I'd have dealer check ignition switch. Fob battery wouldn't come into play here.

Old 06-17-2013, 01:58 PM
Michaelwww is a jewel in the roughMichaelwww is a jewel in the roughMichaelwww is a jewel in the rough
auto or stick? Sounds like you car thinks you are still in gear.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:10 PM
Michaelwww: Stick.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:35 PM
Michaelwww is a jewel in the roughMichaelwww is a jewel in the roughMichaelwww is a jewel in the rough
I was going with sensor in shifter assembly but I dont think that applicable for sticks.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:43 PM
bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !bbywu Is a GOD !
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...tion-lock.html

I believe this is the same problem on 996s.

Old 06-17-2013, 04:07 PM
y2kgixxer is infamous around these parts
Its the ignition switch. The mechanism that captures the key is wearing out and giving you a heads up. not expensive, but i would not wait any longer

Old 06-17-2013, 08:59 PM
sixgun95 is infamous around these parts
Ignition switch is going bad. No way its the battery, mine was dead a few weeks ago and the key worked fine, car just didn't start.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:48 AM
Originally Posted by sixgun95
Ignition switch is going bad. No way its the battery, mine was dead a few weeks ago and the key worked fine, car just didn't start.
Agree, most like switch. Your battery probably still had some juice, just not enough to start. With key in ignition and completely discharged battery, key will get stuck.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:09 AM
sixgun95 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
Agree, most like switch. Your battery probably still had some juice, just not enough to start. With key in ignition and completely discharged battery, key will get stuck.
No Sh*t! Never thought that could be possible. So why does it get stuck?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Trouble removing key from ignition