997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Help!! How to drive a manual?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-01-2013, 09:26 AM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
Those two posts should help you out quite a bit. But it is impossible to learn how to drive stick from reading. And trying to remember all of that while you are getting the hang of this is going to be very tough. I would find someone, anyone, who has a cheap manual and be willing to teach you or at least be there to help walk through the steps as you are doing it.

Keep in mind that people will have all sorts of ways to teach you. Each person will be different. I know many people who drive stick and have taught others and this is the same way we have all done it in the past with much success.

The main goal is to be smooth in any gear. Starting and shifting and stopping. Once you get the hang of it you will be able to roll from a stop at around 1000 RPM instead of 1500. And your shifting (up or down) will becomes much quicker as you get a better feel for the catch point and how quickly the engine will rev both when not engaged and during the shift.

You will have to deal with hill starts for sure. But do this last, dead last. Avoid with extreme caution until you can start every time on a flat surface without any issues. When its time to figure this out find the smallest hill you can with plenty of room behind you. An active road is a terrible place so find a parking lot with a very slight incline. One with just enough that if you don't brake you will slowly roll backwards.

Hope that helps.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:34 AM
luozk123 is just really niceluozk123 is just really niceluozk123 is just really niceluozk123 is just really nice
Originally Posted by gloves
Once you have a good understanding of how the clutch catches its time to move onto shifting up to second. Shifting up is the easiest part. Since you are already moving all you have to do it push in the clutch, move it from first to second gear. And as you let out the clutch you can feel it catch and feather in the gas. Its just like starting only easier. I wouldn't go beyond second for now. So go ahead and push in the clutch and hit the brake. When you come to a stop pull it out of second and into neutral. No reason to shift into first. As a few others have said there is no reason to shift to first when you are still moving. At least not when you are still learning. This will further reinforce starting and stopping.

What RPM to shift at is also a big question. For a starter I would not suggest going above 3000 RPM before you shift. The car has way to much power past that. You will also notice that if you shift to far below that (under 2200 RPM) the engine will seem to struggle to move even under lots of throttle after the gear switch. This is because after shifting from first the second the RPM will drop. This is what allows you to go faster in each gear. The ratio changes meaning the RPM will go down. This will be most drastic between first and second, and then second and third. If you shift too early in the RPM range the drop from gear to gear to bring the RPM below the power band for the newly selected gear.

You can get all the way into third once you are comfortable with starting and stopping and going from first to second. This should get you around town easily. 4th will rarely be used as third gear will get you up to 30MPH easily. But once you leave the safety of the parking lot you will need to know how to down shift. This is almost as simple and up-shifting.

As you brake and slow down the car will go slower and the RPM will drop. Once you are below 2000 RPM and approaching 1500 you will want to change down a gear. I would suggest learning to down shift while coasting, IE not hitting the brake in third gear. This way you dont have to worry about braking and switching gears at the same time. Once again this is why you need a big parking lot. If you need to stop for any reason push in the clutch and the brake at the same time. Once stopped take it out of gear before you let go of the brake. Then start the process all over again to get back up to third. You will notice that you can shift well before 3000 RPM into the next gear. So don't be too worried about how fast you are going in third.

When in third gear and slowing down push in the clutch, this will completely drop the RPM to idle (about 800-900 rpm). Move the gear shifter from 3rd to 2nd and then slowly let the clutch out. As you do so you will notice that as it catches the tach will kick back up and RPM will increase. This is because the clutch is re-engaging and catching again. Ideally you would want to minimize the amount of time go from gear to gear while downshift or up-shifting. The less time the drive shaft spends getting up to speed while the clutch is engaging the better. This is where rev matching and heel toe shifting comes in. That is way too advanced for a starter so don't even thing about that right now.
What is right time to downshift from 3 to 2? just look at the rpm (about 900rmp) or look at the speed (under 30km)? Also, when downshifting, do I need to release the clutch slowly and give a bit gas?
For up-shifting, sometimes I let go of the clutch quickly and give some gas when shifting from 1 to 2, the car moves smoothly. But why sometimes I let go the clutch quickly, the car shaves and screams? Is it because I give too much/ too less gas or because the speed is too fast/ too slow?
once again, thanks for your instruction

Old 07-01-2013, 09:51 AM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
I would downshift around 1500 RPM once you get around 1200 RPM you will feel the car shudder a bit and you know its time to downshift. It is not really speed related since each gear has a different RPM for its given speed range.

Yes release the clutch slowly when downshifting. You should not need to give it much gas at all. Just enough to help it not be an abrupt engage, just like up-shifting.

You never want to give it more gas than it needs when either down-shifting or up-shifting. If you do the car will jump as you have too many RPM for how quickly the drive shaft is going in relation to the engines RPM.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:56 AM
This would be a thousand times easier if it was in person. Reading it while not doing it is really a tough way to learn.

Something to keep in mind is the relationship between the clutch pedal and the gas pedal. You typically do not want to let the clutch out without giving the car at least some gas. This prevents a drastic change in engine RPM (idle around 800 RPM while the clutch is pushed in) to drive shaft RPM still driving the wheels at 2000+ RPM. Unless you are coming to a complete stop and have shifted into neutral of course.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:59 AM
C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !
i know a lot of people are trying to describe driving a stick to you, but your best bet is to go find a 'good' friend, who has a cheap-er manual car and plead with him or her to teach you. you can't learn by reading these posts. you need to be behind the wheel of car and 'feeling it'. it takes some time to be smooth, but you'll get there. i'm not sure grabbing a 997, not knowing how to drive a stick, was your best decision to date though. my first car was a 914 5-speed and it was trial by fire. steep inclines were a ***** in the beginning, but i loved that damn car!!

Old 07-01-2013, 10:12 AM
BLKPPR is infamous around these parts
As others have mentioned find a big parking lot. Preferably with an incline .
The first thing to do is get to the parking lot by having someone else drive your car.
Once in the lot get in the drivers seat. Make sure the car is in neutral. Release emergency brake. Push clutch in all the way and keep your foot off the gas.
Put car in first and EVER SO SLOWLY release the clutch pedal. Do NOT touch the gas. The car will move under it's own power. Apply gas to no more than 2000 RRM as you are still in the parking lot and moving at about 14 mph. Depress clutch, Shift into second and slowly (but quicker than you let our first) let out the clutch. Give gas.
Apply Brakes, depress clutch, Move gear shifter to neutral and stop the car. Repeat, 30 or 40 times. No gas in first gear for the first 20 tries. You will stall it out until you find the place where you feel it grabbing. After you have mastered 1st gear without stalling with no gas feel free to add gas as you see fit. 3rd-6th are the same as 1st to 2nd. Depress clutch, shift gear, release clutch, give gas. Each one independent of each other.
Go find your speed bump or better yet a slight incline where the car will naturally want to roll back. Stop your car somewhere on the incline. Hold the car with your foot brake(do not use the handbrake-terrible habit), Car should be in Neutral.
Depress clutch, put car in first gear, keep your foot on the brake.
Ever so slowly start releasing the clutch. Your car idles about 800 RPM in Neutral, Look at your tach, Once you find the clutch engagement point your tach needle will drop maybe 50(yes about 50 RPM). You will see a slight drop on the needle. Take your foot off the brake, car should hold. Add gas as you release the clutch, no sliding backwards.
Worse case scenario-Some jack wagon pulls up right on your ***. Pull your emergency brake all the way up. Depress clutch and place car in first, Give gas to about 1500RPM, Start releasing clutch(You will feel it grab and the car will want to move forward), Release Emergency brake. Go on your way.

As far as shifting from first to second while turning that is what I usually do, no big deal at normal street speed.

Do not press the gas pedal while releasing the clutch in any gear besides first. It's a great way to burn out your clutch. Remember that. No gas while releasing clutch except for first. As you learn to drive your car you will add gas moderately while changing gears but as a newbie to manuals get yourself in the habit of not doing it.

And do not downshift unless you are in an emergency. You will learn downshifting down the road once you learn to drive moving forward. Brakes are WAY cheaper than a clutch.

I have taught probably 30 people (mostly teenagers and girlfriends) how to drive this way and have had 100% success rate. Teaching my 15 year old now in my Pcar.
Good Luck

Last edited by BLKPPR; 07-01-2013 at 10:14 AM.
Old 07-01-2013, 10:32 AM
italdream is infamous around these parts
I am still of the opinion that someone will not learn proper manual shifting/driving from an online forum and that a P-car is a poor choice as a learning car. Buy or borrow a cheap used manual car and practice for a few months. Uphill practice and stop and go is critical as I can see you getting in big troubles first time you stop at a cross-light with big incline.

Old 07-01-2013, 11:17 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Great information and advice here! (especially the part about having someone show you in person - really the best option)

OP - you have my respect, not only for getting the car that you wanted and diving into a new world, but for having the humility to ask for assistance. Not many would do this.

Good luck!

Old 07-01-2013, 12:15 PM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
Great information and advice here! (especially the part about having someone show you in person - really the best option)

OP - you have my respect, not only for getting the car that you wanted and diving into a new world, but for having the humility to ask for assistance. Not many would do this.

Good luck!
+1

You'll be awful at first, then less so, then you'll wonder why everyone doesn't drive a manual.

Old 07-01-2013, 12:43 PM
Banned
JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Fahrer
Actually, I find this all to be astonishing. Why would anyone get a 911 as their first time with a manual?

Get a crappy 10 year old manual trans car and learn how to drive it properly for months. Then get back in the 911. Also, put aside $2000 to get yourself a new clutch next year.
Otherwise, the previous tips above are more helpful.
Yup! Spend the $2000+ on a crapmobile with a manual tranny, and learn on that. Once you're done with it, sell it and pocket the money you get back. Practice starting up hills and making panic stops as well. Your muscle memory and feel for the clutch will develop within a short time. Don't get into a habit of downshifting to slow down - use the brakes. And, keep your foot completely off the darn clutch pedal unless you are about to shift up or down. Lastly, when you are at a red light, put the trans in neutral, and take your foot off the pedal. Shift into first just before or just as the light turns green.

So many people now have never driven a manual trans, that it's becoming a somewhat effective repellent to low-life car thieves and jackers who have no idea how to drive one.

Old 07-01-2013, 09:17 PM
hot nikon is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Fahrer
Actually, I find this all to be astonishing. Why would anyone get a 911 as their first time with a manual?

Get a crappy 10 year old manual trans car and learn how to drive it properly for months. Then get back in the 911. Also, put aside $2000 to get yourself a new clutch next year.
Otherwise, the previous tips above are more helpful.

B-I-N-G-O.

Your clutch is worth more than many cars on the road.

Old 07-01-2013, 10:14 PM
AP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud ofAP 997S has much to be proud of
As mentioned in previous replies you can't learn to drive a manual transmission car by reading text (book). You have to get the 'feel' of the clutch, gas pedal, rpm level, speed, road slope, etc, etc. This can only be done by trial and error. The trail & error part should be done on an inexpensive vehicle while a buddy or friend works w/ you. You then 'transition to your Porsche after you have the 'mastered' the technique & experience.

What possessed the OP to buy a manual transmission equipped Porsche in the first place?

Old 07-01-2013, 11:06 PM
luozk123 is just really niceluozk123 is just really niceluozk123 is just really niceluozk123 is just really nice
Originally Posted by AP 997S
As mentioned in previous replies you can't learn to drive a manual transmission car by reading text (book). You have to get the 'feel' of the clutch, gas pedal, rpm level, speed, road slope, etc, etc. This can only be done by trial and error. The trail & error part should be done on an inexpensive vehicle while a buddy or friend works w/ you. You then 'transition to your Porsche after you have the 'mastered' the technique & experience.

What possessed the OP to buy a manual transmission equipped Porsche in the first place?
I overestimated myself. I thought I can race with an automatic so a manual wouldn't be a problem. And, clearly, I was wrong.
The other reason is that I love the colour combination of this car, the yellow exterior, beige interior, black top, black wheels. I knew this is the car I want, so I just didn't want any one to own it.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:30 AM
italdream is infamous around these parts
kudos. I am all in favor of you buying the car that you wanted. I am just saying do not use it as your learning car.

Old 07-02-2013, 04:58 AM
kkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nice
Originally Posted by aggk
Just up my alley since I bought my 996 TT a year ago without knowing how to drive a manual.

Definitely try to get some lessons on an old car if you can. In the Bay Area that ended up being very difficult as you can't rent a manual car anymore, very few places even teach you manual anymore and those that do all require you to bring your own car. I ended up finding a guy through Craiglist with an old pickup truck that gave me a two hour lesson.

Due to the clutch assist spring I had major issues with clutch feel (and was constantly stalling) until I removed it.

http://www.renntech.org/forums/topic...pring-removal/

Best thing I ever did. Gave me much more feel over the bite point which is huge when you're first learning a manual.

As someone said above. Practice, practice and practice.

It's going to be stressful at the beginning so try to go out early in the morning when there's little traffic.

Good luck and have fun!
is there a spring that can be removed and still have your clutch work??

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help!! How to drive a manual?