997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Help!! How to drive a manual?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-02-2013, 05:39 AM
Jasper1 is infamous around these parts
New Clutch $2,000 or more
Beater to learn how to drive clutch $1,000
Not subjecting your Porsche to rough shifting and stalling: Priceless

PS: Always remember not to ride the clutch pedal. After you shift place your left foot on the dead pedal, never on the clutch pedal. "Riding" the clutch will wear it out, I learned the hard way on my first manual car (a cheap Fiat). Good luck!

Old 07-02-2013, 08:20 AM
aggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud ofaggk has much to be proud of
Yes, the clutch booster spring.

There's many threads on here and rennlist discussing this.

Big improvement in clutch feel

Old 07-02-2013, 12:47 PM
LPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to all
Where do you live in Toronto? I live in Oakville.

Perhaps I can help you get started with some basics. I'd be happy to help you one on one. All my cars have been manual since 1999 including my Porsches.

Are you driving the car on public roads yet?

Old 07-02-2013, 12:58 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by JB in AR
Yup! Spend the $2000+ on a crapmobile with a manual tranny, and learn on that. Once you're done with it, sell it and pocket the money you get back.
this is what i would do

then again, i prob wouldn't buy a 911 manual without knowing how to drive a stick...

good luck OP

Old 07-02-2013, 02:02 PM
chudso is infamous around these parts
When I got my Porsche I had driven manuals very little and got extremely frustrated trying to learn on the 911. For the first week or so I really regretted my decision, but I stuck with it. I'm sure I put more wear on my clutch than i would have had I known how to properly drive a manual (My main problems were stalling at red lights...pretty embarrassing, and I thought you were supposed to give it gas when up shifting). Now that I've owned the car for almost 2 years I'm really glad I stuck with it. It's just so much more enjoyable than driving an auto. Don't worry too much about having to replace your clutch, I've put 20k miles on mine, learned how to drive on it (burning up the clutch quite a bit) and am still on the original clutch (total of 48k miles).
If your trying to race from a stop in it you will definately burn up the clutch a bit, it's much harder than launching with an auto. Doing rolling races is much easier in a manual (not that I'm condoning racing). Just stick with it and you'll get a hang.
One question.... Why can't you change to first gear if your not stopped? If your going slowly around a turn (10-15mph) and need to downshift to first so you don't lug the engine is this not the correct thing to do?

Old 07-02-2013, 02:17 PM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by chudso
When I got my Porsche I had driven manuals very little and got extremely frustrated trying to learn on the 911. For the first week or so I really regretted my decision, but I stuck with it. I'm sure I put more wear on my clutch than i would have had I known how to properly drive a manual (My main problems were stalling at red lights...pretty embarrassing, and I thought you were supposed to give it gas when up shifting). Now that I've owned the car for almost 2 years I'm really glad I stuck with it. It's just so much more enjoyable than driving an auto. Don't worry too much about having to replace your clutch, I've put 20k miles on mine, learned how to drive on it (burning up the clutch quite a bit) and am still on the original clutch (total of 48k miles).
If your trying to race from a stop in it you will definately burn up the clutch a bit, it's much harder than launching with an auto. Doing rolling races is much easier in a manual (not that I'm condoning racing). Just stick with it and you'll get a hang.
One question.... Why can't you change to first gear if your not stopped? If your going slowly around a turn (10-15mph) and need to downshift to first so you don't lug the engine is this not the correct thing to do?
When up-shifting you want to bring on the gas in a cross over pattern as you release the clutch pedal. As long as you dont shift super slow there is no reason to rev match per say since the RPM will drop when going up a gear.

As for shifting into first, its just not for beginners. The OP doesn't know the first thing about driving a stick. So dealing with a very short gear ratio and lots of torque in first its not an easy gear to learn to get into. Much easier to start with going from 3 -> 2

Old 07-02-2013, 06:40 PM
amge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond reputeamge63 has a reputation beyond repute
Kudos for coming out to learn to drive a stick...I am with most of the guys - learn on a cheap car. Please don't burn up your Porsche clutch practicing it. I saw a brand new S5 getting its new clutch at 7,000 miles. There is no good reason for it.

I have this on my car...Name:  photo.JPG
Views: 258
Size:  51.2 KB We need more people to learn it before it becomes a lost art.

Last edited by amge63; 07-02-2013 at 06:43 PM.
Old 07-02-2013, 09:30 PM
jets is infamous around these parts
From a stand still

1. Clutch in. Hold.
2. Shift to first.
3. Release clutch really slow.
4. When the car begins to inch forward depress the gas pedal at a rate slightly faster than the clutch is released.

Old 07-03-2013, 03:40 AM
Fahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Jasper1
New Clutch $2,000 or more
Beater to learn how to drive clutch $1,000
Not subjecting your Porsche to rough shifting and stalling: Priceless

PS: Always remember not to ride the clutch pedal. After you shift place your left foot on the dead pedal, never on the clutch pedal. "Riding" the clutch will wear it out, I learned the hard way on my first manual car (a cheap Fiat). Good luck!
Good advice..... and never rest your hand on the gear shift lever. The pressure can cause excess wear on the synchros......

Old 07-18-2013, 07:46 PM
luozk123 is just really niceluozk123 is just really niceluozk123 is just really niceluozk123 is just really nice
Originally Posted by LPB987S
Where do you live in Toronto? I live in Oakville.

Perhaps I can help you get started with some basics. I'd be happy to help you one on one. All my cars have been manual since 1999 including my Porsches.

Are you driving the car on public roads yet?
I live in North York. I am glad that you are helping me. I have driven the car for 600km already, but there are some details that I still dont understand. I hope you can teach me some day.

Old 07-18-2013, 07:53 PM
LPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to allLPB987S is a name known to all
Originally Posted by luozk123
I live in North York. I am glad that you are helping me. I have driven the car for 600km already, but there are some details that I still dont understand. I hope you can teach me some day.

What sort of details are you unsure of?

Old 07-18-2013, 07:55 PM
luozk123 is just really niceluozk123 is just really niceluozk123 is just really niceluozk123 is just really nice
Originally Posted by chudso
Thanks for your comment.
I now have driven the car for around 700km. I was regret that I didn't buy the PDK too, but I think now I start to enjoy it.
for the fist gear shifting, its just what someone else told me“ don't shift to 1 gear unless you come to a stop"
At last, I may have one more question. When I am shifting from 5 to 6, maybe because I shift too slowly, the rmp drops to idle after i shift the stick from 5 to 6. as a result, there will be a jerk motion as i release the clutch( the rpm has to suddently pull back to 3000 from 800). what is the solution to this? does it really hurt the clutch?

Old 07-18-2013, 07:59 PM
What sort of details are you unsure of?
When I am shifting from 5 to 6, maybe because I shift too slowly, the rmp drops to idle after i shift the stick from 5 to 6. as a result, there will be a jerk motion as i release the clutch( the rpm has to suddently pull back to 3000 from 800). what is the solution to this? does it really hurt the clutch?

also, i find it much more smooth when i shift every gear at around 2500. however, if i want to drive fast and rev the rpm at 5000, is there any way to minimize the jerk motion and the damage to the clutch.

Really appreciate your advice!

Old 07-18-2013, 08:13 PM
Originally Posted by luozk123
When I am shifting from 5 to 6, maybe because I shift too slowly, the rmp drops to idle after i shift the stick from 5 to 6. as a result, there will be a jerk motion as i release the clutch( the rpm has to suddently pull back to 3000 from 800). what is the solution to this? does it really hurt the clutch?

also, i find it much more smooth when i shift every gear at around 2500. however, if i want to drive fast and rev the rpm at 5000, is there any way to minimize the jerk motion and the damage to the clutch.

Really appreciate your advice!

When you are lifting off the clutch, do it smoothly and don't keep the clutch depressed for too long. Your rpm should drop from 5-6 anyway but if you are letting it drop all the way to 800 that's too long. Still, it shouldn't jerk if you lift off slowly. Smooth and deliberate is the secret.

You should learn where the "biting point" of the clutch is and when you are lifting off do it slowly and smoothly when you lifting just at the point where you are at that "biting point" which is when the gear is actually engaging. Remember, when you press the clutch in you are out of gear and essentially in neutral.

Don't stomp on the clutch pedal - smoothly on and off will yield smooth shifts with no jerky motions but it takes practice.

You can shift into first at parking lot speeds. First is really to get the car going and not really to downshift to when driving normally as the rpm will likely be too high. You should be really just shifting into second gear when taking turns. Try that. Will be much smoother.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:29 PM
When you are lifting off the clutch, do it smoothly and don't keep the clutch depressed for too long. Your rpm should drop from 5-6 anyway but if you are letting it drop all the way to 800 that's too long. Still, it shouldn't jerk if you lift off slowly. Smooth and deliberate is the secret.

You should learn where the "biting point" of the clutch is and when you are lifting off do it slowly and smoothly when you lifting just at the point where you are at that "biting point" which is when the gear is actually engaging. Remember, when you press the clutch in you are out of gear and essentially in neutral.

Don't stomp on the clutch pedal - smoothly on and off will yield smooth shifts with no jerky motions but it takes practice.

You can shift into first at parking lot speeds. First is really to get the car going and not really to downshift to when driving normally as the rpm will likely be too high. You should be really just shifting into second gear when taking turns. Try that. Will be much smoother.
You mean when shifting, release the clutch to the biting point and then slowly release it even at high speed (like 100km/h)? I do this at slower speed because someone told me that at high speed putting the clutch at half way will burn the clutch. If I am doing it as you suggested, how long should the whole lifting motion be (at 100km/h)? Half a second?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Help!! How to drive a manual?