997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Power gains with basic bolts on 997 Carrera??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-03-2013, 10:53 AM
bizzmeister is infamous around these parts
Power gains with basic bolts on 997 Carrera??

Hey guys,

I searched about power gains but search came up with nothing as far as I could see.

Im new to the forum and just recently sold my 830whp 03 Cobra ( you could see some video of it at www.youtube.com/effinmustangs ) sometime soon I want to pick up either an 05-07 Carrera S or 4S. Im used to huge power gains with simple modifations on those cars. I fully understand these are N/A motors pushed to the brink and are great as they are.

What im curious about is how much power on average do you guys gain on 91 octane fuel when upgrading for example headers/intake/exhaust? Or just either a cat-back or intake. Anything noticeable ?

I don't plan on going crazy with this car like my previous, just want this to be a daily driver but I wouldnt mind letting that flat 6 breath a lil better

-Arbi

Old 07-03-2013, 11:58 AM
killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !killacam Is a GOD !
I have intake/headers/cats/exhaust and gains are minimal.

Old 07-03-2013, 12:02 PM
C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !
can of worms... you'll likely get a lot of 'nothing to be gained by mods', but less so here than on RL. i'm in the camp of doing the mods - have always done them in the past - and believe in getting what i can get. if nothing else, the car sounds MUCH better. you can see in my sig what i run and the last thing for me to do will be the softronic tune. i would say the best you might expect from headers, cats, mufflers, intake and a tune would be 380-390hp at the crank, but the tune will provide an optimized power curve (as you likely know). this is still a quick car at those numbers, though. the car also handles well...

Old 07-03-2013, 12:41 PM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by C4Sbeebe
can of worms... you'll likely get a lot of 'nothing to be gained by mods', but less so here than on RL. i'm in the camp of doing the mods - have always done them in the past - and believe in getting what i can get. if nothing else, the car sounds MUCH better. you can see in my sig what i run and the last thing for me to do will be the softronic tune. i would say the best you might expect from headers, cats, mufflers, intake and a tune would be 380-390hp at the crank, but the tune will provide an optimized power curve (as you likely know). this is still a quick car at those numbers, though. the car also handles well...
I tend to agree with C4sBeebe's hp #'s to an extent. With that said, I run neck and neck with the .1 GT3's (415 hp) all day on the straights. Might be the tune giving me torque down low, but it's more usable fun! My car is transformed by the mods I have in my sig. After driving a 997.1 tip turbo this past weekend. My car is much more fun (and seems faster) to 80 mph (on the butt/sound dyno).

Last edited by White Rock; 07-03-2013 at 12:43 PM.
Old 07-03-2013, 01:01 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Since the OP is asking about power gains, I would say most mods for power will prob be waste of money (sans S/C or turbo bolt-on) on a N/A 997. Perhaps only mod to give nominal gain would be intake and cat. Tuning your car with ECU is also possible but, once again, the gains are minimal. You still won't get anywhere close to the same feeling as in 800hp muscle car or 911turbo.

I've done plenty mods on my car to improve the sound, the handling, and the look (to my personal taste, of course) so its not like i am against modding. But Porsche makes a turbo version for a reason.. for those who crave massive power and likes to mod for huge power gain.

Since you are still searching, go drive a Carrera S to see if it has enough power for you as-is (before any mod).

then go drive a 996 Turbo or 997 Turbo, if the budget fits, to see if that power is what u might be really looking for.

Old 07-04-2013, 10:21 AM
Originally Posted by killacam
I have intake/headers/cats/exhaust and gains are minimal.
By minimal do you mean like less than 25whp for all of that ?

Originally Posted by C4Sbeebe
Ya I kinda expected minimal to be honest and thats what it looks like from all of your responses. Im sure the car handles well

Originally Posted by White Rock
I tend to agree with C4sBeebe's hp #'s to an extent. With that said, I run neck and neck with the .1 GT3's (415 hp) all day on the straights. Might be the tune giving me torque down low, but it's more usable fun! My car is transformed by the mods I have in my sig. After driving a 997.1 tip turbo this past weekend. My car is much more fun (and seems faster) to 80 mph (on the butt/sound dyno).
Thanks for sharing man, I have some more research to do on these bolt-ons.

Originally Posted by crazycarlitos
Since the OP is asking about power gains, I would say most mods for power will prob be waste of money (sans S/C or turbo bolt-on) on a N/A 997. Perhaps only mod to give nominal gain would be intake and cat. Tuning your car with ECU is also possible but, once again, the gains are minimal. You still won't get anywhere close to the same feeling as in 800hp muscle car or 911turbo.

I've done plenty mods on my car to improve the sound, the handling, and the look (to my personal taste, of course) so its not like i am against modding. But Porsche makes a turbo version for a reason.. for those who crave massive power and likes to mod for huge power gain.

Since you are still searching, go drive a Carrera S to see if it has enough power for you as-is (before any mod).

then go drive a 996 Turbo or 997 Turbo, if the budget fits, to see if that power is what u might be really looking for.

Oh of course man, im not looking to replicate the power of my Cobra , that'd be insane and id have to sell my limbs haha. The 997 turbo is out of my budget for sure. I know i'll be stepping into a much slower car but thats alright, I'll be building another project race car in the near future too. That's the reason why i wont opt for the turbo. This will probably be my daily driver.

If anything, im sure the intake and exhaust combo will make the car sound amazing

Old 07-04-2013, 10:34 AM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
Best bang for your buck for the most gains are cats, intake (for sound) and tune. You will feel quite difference over stock.

Old 07-04-2013, 12:52 PM
Best bang for your buck for the most gains are cats, intake (for sound) and tune. You will feel quite difference over stock.
Thanks, guess we'll see what happens.

Old 07-04-2013, 01:21 PM
artyve is infamous around these parts
When you say "tune", what exactly is being tuned? Where would you go for something like this?

Old 07-04-2013, 01:36 PM
C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !C4Sbeebe Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by artyve
When you say "tune", what exactly is being tuned? Where would you go for something like this?
the ecu is being remapped/optimized to work as efficiently as possible, with the best results, with the mods you have. this will maximize your gains and smooth your power curve for the best possible delivery. you can go to a tuner or purchase any numbers of 'maps' from various vendors that can be uploaded. others vendors will ask you to send them your ecu and they will remap it and send it back to you. many seem to like softronics, as it (presumably) continually adjusts to mods and isn't a single map. i can't speak for the product yet, but it is my 1st choice once i finally get my exhaust configuration sorted out. it used to be as easy as swapping in a chip, but those days are pretty much history and replaced with downloads.

Old 07-04-2013, 03:39 PM
tune

Softronic is a very good tune for the 997!

Old 07-08-2013, 02:05 PM
Originally Posted by bizzmeister
Hey guys,

I searched about power gains but search came up with nothing as far as I could see.

Im new to the forum and just recently sold my 830whp 03 Cobra ( you could see some video of it at www.youtube.com/effinmustangs ) sometime soon I want to pick up either an 05-07 Carrera S or 4S. Im used to huge power gains with simple modifations on those cars. I fully understand these are N/A motors pushed to the brink and are great as they are.

What im curious about is how much power on average do you guys gain on 91 octane fuel when upgrading for example headers/intake/exhaust? Or just either a cat-back or intake. Anything noticeable ?

I don't plan on going crazy with this car like my previous, just want this to be a daily driver but I wouldnt mind letting that flat 6 breath a lil better

-Arbi

This thread is the most comprehensive one I've seen, complete with dyno and real life testing results.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997/305331-got-myself-x51-air-box-gt3-throttle-body-plenum-before-after-dynos.html

I have all of these parts on my car and would be happy to answer any questions you have.

Old 07-08-2013, 03:10 PM
GuzziGreg is a jewel in the roughGuzziGreg is a jewel in the roughGuzziGreg is a jewel in the rough
I have Fabspeed intake, headers, exhaust, 200 cell cats and remap. I read ALL the posts here for months and against the advice of most I did it all anyway. Above 3800rpms the car lights up and is very quick. Below that not so much. Save your money and a get turbo when you can afford it. Gotta tell you though drive the car. These cars, like someone already said are fast. You will get minimal gains and cost per HP is way to high for what you gain unless you go turbo. Good luck whatever you decide.

Old 07-08-2013, 04:24 PM
This thread is the most comprehensive one I've seen, complete with dyno and real life testing results.

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/997/305331-got-myself-x51-air-box-gt3-throttle-body-plenum-before-after-dynos.html

I have all of these parts on my car and would be happy to answer any questions you have.
Thanks bud, I appreciate it. I will look into that and see what I can find.

Originally Posted by GuzziGreg
I have Fabspeed intake, headers, exhaust, 200 cell cats and remap. I read ALL the posts here for months and against the advice of most I did it all anyway. Above 3800rpms the car lights up and is very quick. Below that not so much. Save your money and a get turbo when you can afford it. Gotta tell you though drive the car. These cars, like someone already said are fast. You will get minimal gains and cost per HP is way to high for what you gain unless you go turbo. Good luck whatever you decide.
Sounds good, thanks for the info. Honestly, I kinda already knew these motors would gain close to nothing per say but we'll see. I think i'll still end up doing the basic intake/exhaust.

Old 07-08-2013, 06:12 PM
Perk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond repute

thank you for posting something with a dyno....

here's my thing. After having intake, headers, cats, mufflers on my car I CAN feel a difference in my "butt dyno"....obviously the car just breathes better. I haven't tuned it yet but once I do, will have a dyno done and post it up. Should be done this time next week

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Power gains with basic bolts on 997 Carrera??