997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Is PCM 3 Traffic Supposed to Work?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 12:40 PM
DJSArcade is infamous around these parts
Is PCM 3 Traffic Supposed to Work?

I've got PCM 3.0, XM, and I sign up for their "everything" package.

I have never seen traffic notes of any kind on the nav.

Is this supposed to do something with traffic and if so, how?

Old 07-16-2013, 04:39 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
Good question. I think I saw something on traffic in my car right after I got it but haven't since. If you go to the XM site it notes the areas where traffic is supported.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:46 PM
vg247 has a spectacular aura aboutvg247 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Alan C.
Good question. I think I saw something on traffic in my car right after I got it but haven't since. If you go to the XM site it notes the areas where traffic is supported.
Yes, confirm that traffic is supported in your area. Mine did work to display traffic when I had the free trial.

Old 07-16-2013, 04:57 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
I just checked and the service is called NavTraffic. It is an additional charge of $3.99/mo.

Lately I've used Waze and it has done a good job with traffic issues. I have it loaded on my iPhone 5.

Old 07-16-2013, 06:18 PM
I signed up for the NavTraffic service today - still no go. I know DFW is supported, as the wife's Lexus gets it here in DF/W.

Old 07-16-2013, 09:17 PM
vg247 has a spectacular aura aboutvg247 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by DJSArcade
I signed up for the NavTraffic service today - still no go. I know DFW is supported, as the wife's Lexus gets it here in DF/W.
I'd recommend calling Sirius XM and troubleshoot to ensure you are receiving the traffic signal. If you went to the P dealer first then they may bounce you back to Sirius XM (especially if they are one of those crummy dealers)

Then last option would be to go to the dealer to have the PCM checked.

On a side note- when I first tried to activate my satellite service with XM, it would not work. I called back an hour later with the car parked in same previous location the second representative got it to activate and work. Lesson is no two representatives are created equal, some are unfortunately incompetent..

Old 07-16-2013, 11:29 PM
Bokchoys is infamous around these parts
it worked while I was on the free subscription. warned me of the traffic and suggest alternate route.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:58 AM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
It works...but I won't pay to renew (it was complimentary with my purchase). It's a pretty worthless feature. It reports old info - who wants to know that there's stop and go traffic ahead when you're already stopped.

Old 07-17-2013, 07:10 AM
I was about to try another radio refresh and was surprised to see it working this morning!

"Traffic Messages" now has a bunch of entries.

So...case closed.

Old 07-17-2013, 05:30 PM
larrytrk is infamous around these parts
I have it and have always found it next to worthless.
I expected overlays on main screen like my garmins, no such luck.
All I get is a small separate window if I hit traffic.
Not worth any extra fee!

Old 07-23-2013, 01:32 PM
Minok has a spectacular aura aboutMinok has a spectacular aura about
I've got PCM 3.0, XM, and I sign up for their "everything" package.

I have never seen traffic notes of any kind on the nav.

Is this supposed to do something with traffic and if so, how?
Yes it does do something:
1) Puts traffic flow colors on your MAP screen (green, yellow, red over the highway lines with congestion data in the NavTraffic data subscription).
2) Provides incident reports (shown as graphic icons on the map, or as a list in the Info screen I think)
3) Will cause your navigation system to re-route as the data provided indicates the current route may be to slow or not possible.

BUT, and its a big BUT. All of this depends upon XM NavTraffic getting the data from your LOCAL Department of Transportation or data provider. So you will only see something IF your local roads are wired with congestion sensors and your local area provides that data out to the navigation systems providers. This may only be available in larger cities or regions of high traffic density. And IF the local police post the incident data and publish it out as well.

So if your local area doesn't let Navtek get at the data it needs, or if there is no data, then XM Navtraffic has nothing to show you.