997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

IMS Settletment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-18-2013, 07:06 AM
carrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant future
JB thanks for the info! Btw i may have mispelled or misworded it i meant to say i drive a 100k car with a ticking time bomb waiting to happen didnt mean to say 100k miles lol sorry i got your hopes up alittle.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:40 AM
Banned
JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by carrera997re
JB thanks for the info! Btw i may have mispelled or misworded it i meant to say i drive a 100k car with a ticking time bomb waiting to happen didnt mean to say 100k miles lol sorry i got your hopes up alittle.
No problem. I'm still not too worried, and neither should you be. Just enjoy!

Also, the article in Excellence should be of further assurance for you as well.

Old 07-18-2013, 08:53 AM
JimKan is infamous around these parts
I had a failure on MY00 C2 and don't qualify for the settlement, I paid a new engine and Porsche didn't pay s!!t, it's good to know someone is doing something about this rippoff!

Old 07-20-2013, 10:50 PM
Romysc4s has much to be proud ofRomysc4s has much to be proud ofRomysc4s has much to be proud ofRomysc4s has much to be proud ofRomysc4s has much to be proud ofRomysc4s has much to be proud ofRomysc4s has much to be proud ofRomysc4s has much to be proud of
I sold my 02 C4S 6 mos ago for fear of running into this issue. Today I received the Class Action Settlement letter in the mail. Too late for me!

Old 07-24-2013, 06:43 PM
JTaylorGT has a spectacular aura aboutJTaylorGT has a spectacular aura about
The other big catch is that it only covers failures within 10 years from date the car was put into service (or 130k miles). I'd imagine the time will be a factor for most. I like that it also covers future failures for those who elect to be part of the class but that only covers my 2005 for two more years, and since I bought from a private seller, I'm only eligible for 25% of the payout. Ouch.

Hmm, join the settlement or opt out and hope PCNA will help more than 25% if I'm a victim of IMS failure in the next two years . . .

Old 07-24-2013, 09:32 PM
Perk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond repute
I am new to this and was well aware of IMS failure when I bought my car but was told that it was a problem that was solved by 2006MY cars and to stay away from only 2005 if possible...

I am now in a 2006 C2S with zero warranty.... how worried should I be here?

I thought that the previous owner of the vehicle was told that the FIRST owner (I am third) had a replacement bearing put in to ensure that this would not happen.. why wouldn't everyone do this if possible? Or was I BS'd???

Last edited by Perk10; 07-24-2013 at 09:35 PM.
Old 07-24-2013, 10:51 PM
carrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant future
I believe to change the bearing its major labor i thinkk. I was quoted by a dealer to replace the bearing cost out the door was about 2,300 yep buttt every dealers diffrent. I aslo have a 06 but yet have the crap bearing.

Old 07-25-2013, 08:39 AM
italdream is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Perk10
I am new to this and was well aware of IMS failure when I bought my car but was told that it was a problem that was solved by 2006MY cars and to stay away from only 2005 if possible...

I am now in a 2006 C2S with zero warranty.... how worried should I be here?
People will tell you different things. I say you should be worried (I have a 2008 BTW and I am) but not to the point of losing sleep. If it happens, it happens... not much you can do about it.
I think that Porsche should have stepped to the plate and admit that it was a design problem, no matter the type of bearing and issued some sort of extended warranty for at least parts.

As you said, from 2006 on, there is an update bearing. There are however accounts on these forums of IMS failures for 2006+ models, especially for '06 and some '07, but to my knowledge not for '08.

Old 07-25-2013, 10:03 AM
Banned
JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !
My tech said that you need to take the clutch off to access the IMS for R&R and that labor is the majority of the cost in retrofitting a new IMS. He said that anyone getting a retrofit should just go ahead and get a new clutch at the same time while everything is apart to save money down the road (literally). $3K total (parts, labor, tax).

Old 07-25-2013, 10:11 AM
italdream is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by JB in AR
My tech said that you need to take the clutch off to access the IMS for R&R and that labor is the majority of the cost in retrofitting a new IMS. He said that anyone getting a retrofit should just go ahead and get a new clutch at the same time while everything is apart to save money down the road (literally). $3K total (parts, labor, tax).
For the updated bearing on 2006+ models, there is no LN retrofit available and you would need to take out the engine. In other words, for later models there is not cheap fix.

Old 07-25-2013, 02:23 PM
Perk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond reputePerk10 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by italdream
For the updated bearing on 2006+ models, there is no LN retrofit available and you would need to take out the engine. In other words, for later models there is not cheap fix.
I am going to call my Tech today to verify this. He is well versed in Porsche and IF there is a change that can be made and is mostly LABOR like JB in AR said, I will go ahead and have him make sure it is done.

Luckily, I don't pay labor charges by the hour, but rather what he and I come up with. Wish me luck.

What I am having trouble understanding is that if this is such a major problem, then why are there people who are still in the market for early 997 911's???? I mean when I was in the market, I talked to tons of people that would swear that the IMS wasn't really a big deal. I read on this thread that it affects 10% of all 2005 911's. If that is true, then there are thousands of cars that will be salvaged because of this. Why doesn't it seem to be more of a red flag? In other words, why do we all drive these cars? lol I mean I bought mine thinking it was a possible issue but that it was nothing that I would need to worry about for a long time if at all. Was I wrong?

Last edited by Perk10; 07-25-2013 at 02:26 PM.
Old 07-25-2013, 03:02 PM
muerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to allmuerdeme is a name known to all
Sorry if already covered, but I didn't see it.

Does anyone have a good idea what would happen if you went out and did the upgrade and submitted the cost of the repair?

My read of the documents sent makes it sould like they focus on "damage caused by" vs. preventive. I am guessing this is intentional as they don't want a defacto recall, but would rather just pay for the relatively small number that fail between now and the end of the 10 year period.

Any thoughts?

Old 07-25-2013, 03:26 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Perk10
I am going to call my Tech today to verify this. He is well versed in Porsche and IF there is a change that can be made and is mostly LABOR like JB in AR said, I will go ahead and have him make sure it is done.

Luckily, I don't pay labor charges by the hour, but rather what he and I come up with. Wish me luck.

What I am having trouble understanding is that if this is such a major problem, then why are there people who are still in the market for early 997 911's???? I mean when I was in the market, I talked to tons of people that would swear that the IMS wasn't really a big deal. I read on this thread that it affects 10% of all 2005 911's. If that is true, then there are thousands of cars that will be salvaged because of this. Why doesn't it seem to be more of a red flag? In other words, why do we all drive these cars? lol I mean I bought mine thinking it was a possible issue but that it was nothing that I would need to worry about for a long time if at all. Was I wrong?
10%? I think the numbers are like .00001 It is really rare that is why most people are not worried about it, including myself. If you asked any Porsche mechanic, they will tell you it happens but is rare. Effected ones are early 05 models that is why they are included in the settlement and not late model 05's. Porsche tried to hide it b/c they know it is not a common problem. But it is obviously a huge problem for those who suffer it so that is why we have a lawsuit against Porsche. IIRC no one with MY 06 and later has IMS issues, only stories of my uncle's friend's cousin's daughter's son has a 06 model with IMS issues. Someone from rennlist.com did a research on MY06 b/c he was afraid he might suffer the same faith but found out most who checked the box (06 with IMS issues) are not first hand experiences.

Old 07-25-2013, 06:03 PM
Fahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to allFahrer is a name known to all
Originally Posted by italdream
Even worse.......you need to take the engine apart.

Old 07-25-2013, 09:55 PM
Mspeedster is a jewel in the roughMspeedster is a jewel in the roughMspeedster is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by carrera997re
I believe to change the bearing its major labor i thinkk. I was quoted by a dealer to replace the bearing cost out the door was about 2,300 yep buttt every dealers diffrent. I aslo have a 06 but yet have the crap bearing.
I don't know what number you think you're looking at that says your MY '06 car has an '05 bearing. You can't even see the bearing unless you take the motor out and apart.

There is an engine number on the bottom of the engine that is visible by looking underneath. But just because it ends in 05 doesn't make it an MY05 engine.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: IMS Settletment