997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Dension Gateway 500 with BlueTooth?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-20-2013, 09:25 PM
simoncpw is a jewel in the roughsimoncpw is a jewel in the roughsimoncpw is a jewel in the rough
Dension Gateway 500 with BlueTooth?

Hi all,

After reviewing all the posts on Dension Gateway 500, I've decided to get one and DIY myself. For those who have experience with it, I would like to get your comment on the following for the Gateway 500 BT (the one with bluetooth features)

1) does this unit support music streaming via BlueTooth from the iPhone? how well / reliable does it work? I will still install an iPod / iPhone via cable connection, but just want my wife to be able to stream music from her iPhone when she's in the car.

2) should the unit be install inside the cabin to get a good BlueTooth connection? or leaving it at the truck where the CD-changer is ok?

3) how well does it work when taking or making phone calls via BlueTooth? This is actually only a "nice to have" feature for me, as I'm already used to and don't mine using an earpiece if I need to take a call.

4) the installation looks pretty simple, is the 12V power the only wire cutting & tapping? If I'm using the Gateway 500 to replace the CD-Changer completely, is it not possible to the power that's currently feeding the CD-Changer?

Thanks in advance.

Psymon

Old 07-20-2013, 10:35 PM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by simoncpw
Hi all,

After reviewing all the posts on Dension Gateway 500, I've decided to get one and DIY myself. For those who have experience with it, I would like to get your comment on the following for the Gateway 500 BT (the one with bluetooth features)

1) does this unit support music streaming via BlueTooth from the iPhone? how well / reliable does it work? I will still install an iPod / iPhone via cable connection, but just want my wife to be able to stream music from her iPhone when she's in the car.

2) should the unit be install inside the cabin to get a good BlueTooth connection? or leaving it at the truck where the CD-changer is ok?

3) how well does it work when taking or making phone calls via BlueTooth? This is actually only a "nice to have" feature for me, as I'm already used to and don't mine using an earpiece if I need to take a call.

4) the installation looks pretty simple, is the 12V power the only wire cutting & tapping? If I'm using the Gateway 500 to replace the CD-Changer completely, is it not possible to the power that's currently feeding the CD-Changer?

Thanks in advance.

Psymon
I have one in my 997 Turbo, and the Bluetooth works fine....when it works. I have found these units to be flaky as hell....It will work fine and then you will get the NO CD changer error.....then fine again, then no nav, amp, or anything. The most inconsistent piece of equipment I have ever owned honestly. You can tap the constant power off the one the PCM uses, and you just loop the MOST if you want to delet the changer....But again, I have not been very happy with mine...especially for the cost....Good luck if you go that route..

DC

Old 07-20-2013, 10:45 PM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
Mine has been rock solid. The nay time I got an error was after I had my front bumper removed and the shop disconnected the battery. Doing so reset the computer to not recognize the cd changer. The dealer re-set it for me in five minutes.

I would advise wiring the cable into e cabin so you can navigate through the iPhone. I used a dedicated iPod in the trunk and the navigation features through the PCM are painfull.

Old 07-20-2013, 11:36 PM
simoncpw is a jewel in the roughsimoncpw is a jewel in the roughsimoncpw is a jewel in the rough
Thanks guys.

Therock88 - where is your Gateway locate, in the trunk or cabin?

Hella-Buggin - is yours the BT version? If I were to navigate through the iPhone, would you recommend to 1) install the Gateway at the trunk using the connectors for CD-Changer and run the iPod cable into the cabin? or, 2) install the Gateway in the cabin and connect it directly to the back of the PCM?

Thx.

Old 07-21-2013, 05:42 AM
OCNYPORSCHE has a spectacular aura aboutOCNYPORSCHE has a spectacular aura aboutOCNYPORSCHE has a spectacular aura about
It must be installed in the cabin. Bluetooth connection would not be good if unit is installed in trunk. The trunk installs were pre-bluetooth.

BT audio is really good. No complaints from mine. Just seems to always default to the ipod, so I always need to select the BT audio each time I use it.

Old 07-21-2013, 06:07 AM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
We ship worldwide so if you need it, reach out (we also support our customers - many resellers do not).

Inside the cabin is good, but either is fine. 5th Gen bluetooth chip is now built into the unit on the 500SBT.

Flakiness is usually an issue with installation, loose connection, firmware or something amiss in the setup. Can resolve with dealer programming if not yet done, hard reset, firmware update.

Units were first released summer '12, with firmware 0043. 0050 is now out and working well.

If you have a cdc in the front trunk, you can use the bypass cable to eliminate it and install in cabin, or install at cdc and run cables into the cabin pretty easily.

And yes, you could install at the cdc location, remove cdc, and use power up front for the entire project. Very easy.

We send very detailed information when we ship units, most of our customers do install on their own using this (goes well beyond the package insert).

Let me know if you have questions.

Old 07-21-2013, 07:53 AM
Thanks again guys.

Eric, is the bypass cable a part of the standard package with the 500SBT? or a special cable supplied by you or needs cutting and tapping? And where in the cabin would you recommend to install the 500SBT? Hide it behind the PCM and run the iPad / Aux / USB cable to the compartment behind the handbrake?

Old 07-21-2013, 10:11 AM
ILikeEsses has a spectacular aura aboutILikeEsses has a spectacular aura about
I too am interested in the same questions as this thread. I want to run USB into the console to charge if necessary, and stream via A2DP. I want to hide everything and will be looking for an installer in Ohio.

Old 07-21-2013, 10:23 AM
MYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really niceMYC2SPC is just really nice
There has been no problem with mine in the trunk via bluetooth what so ever?Phone and Ipod have no issues what so ever.Have really enjoyed my Dension unit!

Old 07-21-2013, 10:46 AM
Former Vendor
Eric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond reputeEric (Plug Guy) has a reputation beyond repute
Trunk is still fine for BT.

Bypass Cable is an additional product, on our website under the ipod/bluetooth section.

USB is fine (stick) but you'll want it off the system to stream BT tunes (pandora, etc) as the Dension sees the USB stick first. You can use either, but USB stick should not be left in if streaming tunes.

Behind PCM is good location - as I said, we send very detailed information that goes way beyond the package insert when we ship units to our customers.

If outside the US, email me before ordering so we might arrange a more cost effective shipping method.

Once installed, the Dension is completely out of sight other than the tip of the mic. USB, iPod, all ports should be hidden in glove box for easy access.

Old 07-21-2013, 11:19 AM
Great. Then I'll start off with installing it in the truck and replace the CD-changer, since it looks like it's the simplest location to install.

Eric, in that case, do I still need the bypass cable? Are all the other standard cables long enough to run from the trunk to the compartment behind the handbrake?

Old 07-21-2013, 11:29 AM
Oh and I suppose installing the Mic will require taking off panels and trims... etc? Where's the best position to position the mic? I was thinking of double-sided taping it on the steering column just right in front of the speedometer.

Old 07-21-2013, 09:11 PM
therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !therock88 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by simoncpw
Thanks guys.

Therock88 - where is your Gateway locate, in the trunk or cabin?

Hella-Buggin - is yours the BT version? If I were to navigate through the iPhone, would you recommend to 1) install the Gateway at the trunk using the connectors for CD-Changer and run the iPod cable into the cabin? or, 2) install the Gateway in the cabin and connect it directly to the back of the PCM?

Thx.
Mine is in the cabin....right behind the PCM. I had Dension send me photos to ensure install on MOST. I have a constant blinking blue light and the unit sometimes won't work at all...other times is fine....turn off car...start again...and flakes out. I may try reinstalling again or just removing as I always get a CD Changer not found.....even when it is working!..I looped the changer out of the MOST loop. Read everything I could find....

Good luck....
DC

Old 07-21-2013, 09:21 PM
Hella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud ofHella-Buggin' has much to be proud of
Mine is not the bt version. I don't really talk on
The phone so I skippd that.

I have my Dension in the trunk mounted next to the cd changer. It interrupts the fiber loop to the changer. I have my old iPhone 3GS velcroed there as well. I can sync the unit via wifi from the trunk.

My only complaint is the menu navigation but immsurenthat mainly due to the PCM limitations.