997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Center muffler bypass

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 02:19 PM
R0B6 is infamous around these parts
Center muffler bypass

Looking to add a little HP and sound to my stock 997.2, I came across the Sharkwerks center muffler bypass. Looked like just what I needed. Then I started looking for a used one on this site. Notices several for sale a few months back. Is there negative that I am not aware of here? The sites says PSE sound and 14 HP too...

Old 08-05-2013, 03:26 PM
Snogoer is infamous around these parts
I added a FabSpeed center muffler bypass x-pipe to my 997.2 S a couple months back. I bought it used, like new, for $500 vs. $795 new. (I think guys mostly sell off their add-on bits when they get rid of their cars. That's what I do anyways.) I did notice a nice improvement in the "exotic" sound and some HP gain. I bolted it on myself in conjunction with the HP intake. FabSpeed shows 29 HP gain on the X-Pipe, but doing both, who knows what I actually gained! The sound difference is definitely at the higher RPMs. At cruising speeds, not much difference inside the car. I'm glad I did it.

Old 08-05-2013, 04:09 PM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
Did it also...Fabspeed...Love it!

2011 4S.

Old 08-05-2013, 06:14 PM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
I think there are a set for sale here on the marketplace forum.

...never mind, looks like you found'em. Enjoy!!

Old 08-05-2013, 10:05 PM
vg247 has a spectacular aura aboutvg247 has a spectacular aura about
I have the Sharkwerks bypass: no negatives here. You will get more sound than the stock exhaust and love it. There is weight reduction because it's much lighter then the primary exhaust.

Some have reported vibrations on idle and the rpm needs to be adjusted higher to remedy that. Sharkwerks site discusses this and a search here will bring up some info for you on the vibration FYI.

Old 08-05-2013, 11:09 PM
Ian c2 is infamous around these parts
Shark weeks and Pse fully open is where it's at ....

In "normal" driving its just a little noisier than stock , and quiet cruising on the highway ...
Open it up in sport+ and it is a fantastic noise winding upto redline

Old 08-06-2013, 07:36 AM
R0B6 is infamous around these parts
Thanks for the feedback guys!
Sounds like (no pun intended) this will be a great first step into the addictive world of modding...

Old 08-06-2013, 10:24 AM
Tcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to behold
I don't know about the HP gain. If it adds ~10 hp that's ~2 percent - can anyone really feel that and more to the point, would it be useful. (And yes, I have the Shark Werks bypass on my GTS.) The 997.2 engine doesn't have the greatest sound and PSE is only a slight improvement. The Bypass does give a very non-obtrusive throaty sound. That is, it makes the car sound more like what it should in the first place. My personal observations: I have an MT and at 3K RPM's the sound really kicks in. In fact, I don't even have to look at the gauge to know I am at 3K. It seems to level out at about 4K RPM's and then bump up again around 5K. The Bypass is a nice mod if you're not looking to go all in and replace cats, etc. It probably won't however, make your car sound like a GT3, so if that's what your looking for you may be disappointed. I like mine, am 100 percent satisfied and would do it again.

Old 08-08-2013, 05:23 PM
sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !sharkster Is a GOD !
Thanks for the kind words fellas I've got detailed DIY instructions too that we can send out to those of you that want to do it at home on the floor. It's really not too hard. An hour or so and no bumper removal...

Old 08-08-2013, 06:17 PM
Alan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond reputeAlan C. has a reputation beyond repute
I have a Sharkwerks bypass on myGTS with PSE.
Great sound.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:13 PM
Carnut12 is infamous around these parts
I just installed mine today with my Cargraphic Exhaust. I have not driven it a lot, but so far I like it a lot, stock had no sound at all.

Old 08-08-2013, 07:15 PM
ICORBoss is infamous around these parts
Step 1: Remove side mufflers, CATs and center muffler
Step 2: Install RSR headers and mufflers
Step 3: Enjoy 50 hp gain and FANTASTIC sound

Old 08-12-2013, 06:19 PM
keefers is infamous around these parts
Since I just did this today I'll offer my thoughts -
2010 997.2 PDK. Went to order the Fabspeed xpipe and was told about 3 to 5 weeks out for one. Ended up going with the NHP X-Pipe from Nello at Maxspeed motorsports and could not be happier. Shipped out from Florida on Thursday had it in my hands Saturday here in AZ. Had my local shop pull the side cans and do a 2" Gundo hack on the pipes and then I had them install the NHP X-Pipe. Sounds amazing! absolutely no drone cruising speed but after 3500 wow! The build quality on the NHP pipe was top notch and it came with gaskets and new bolts. So all in all I am one happy camper!

Old 08-12-2013, 07:38 PM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ICORBoss
Step 1: Remove side mufflers, CATs and center muffler
Step 2: Install RSR headers and mufflers
Step 3: Enjoy 50 hp gain and FANTASTIC sound
Step 4: Fail state smog test.

Old 08-12-2013, 09:41 PM
shammerman is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by PTParks
Step 4: Fail state smog test.
Step 5: Move to a state with no smog test.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Center muffler bypass