997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

My budget audio install updated 3/22/15

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 10-06-2013 | 05:48 PM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
hahaha. i could only agree, after 25k kms and 3 years they still sound the same...awful

Old 10-06-2013 | 11:36 PM
cab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud of
Hehehe. Grinning......

My car shakes like never before. The woofer pushes my jeans to my leg. DEFINITELY, well worth the effort, costs, experiment, etc.

Old 10-11-2013 | 04:50 AM
markiii again is infamous around these parts
Well I've not posted in a while as my previous account (markiii) has been giving errors and not allowing me to post since a change of email address.

And despite numerous emails over a month site Admins haven't even bothered to respond to my emails asking for help in resolving it. (thanks Admins appreciate its voluntary but you've been useless)

so I've had to register another account

4" ISC Coaxials are now in the rear. I managed to fab some spacers from 1/4 inch MDF and coax them into fitting. See pics

so far a distinct improvement in midrange and clarity, next stop dash tweeters

Attached Images   
Old 10-11-2013 | 06:12 AM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
I would like to think you removed the rear panels to install that mdf board.

Old 10-11-2013 | 06:15 AM
not neccessary as there is sufficient room to push it through the hole, and align it

just

Old 10-11-2013 | 06:30 AM
So your saying removal of rear panel board not necessary to replace oem bose speakers.? Rhis is good if true.

Old 10-11-2013 | 06:50 AM
|
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Well done! Great to post pics! Looks thicker than 1/4", but great you made it work. I guess I didn't think of that. I assume you pre drilled the holes for the speakers, fed the plates in through the holes, screwed the plates down, then screwed the speakers to your plates. You did a great job and it is easier than removing the rear panels. In some ways it is easy to deal with the install when you have the panels out though. I couldn't imagine trying to hold the plates while you screw them in while sitting in the back seat! For others, you need to be careful when you do the mounting plates, because the plates can't block the prongs for the speaker grill cover.

So, you've only done the rears? I think you'll be happy and surprised by the punch from those little speakers once they break in.

On those dash tweeters, be sure to rip them all the way out of their stock housings! Seems like they fit right in if you do.

Old 10-11-2013 | 06:55 AM
|
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Oh, I would have attached the speakers from the rear of the plate. Not sure if the tweeters clear the speaker cover the way you have it. If they do, awesome!

Old 10-11-2013 | 07:23 AM
exactly that, it takes some fiddling and a few cardboard templates to find a size that fits through the opening and is still big enough, but it just works

and your right that should have read 1/2" MDF anything thicker than that and you don't have room to turn it.

There is hidden metal behind the sound proofing in there so its fiddly but doable.

the hole for the speaker gives you enough to hold onto whilst you screw it in place. The screw holes were already drilled based on the cardboard template.

I'll post the template up when I get a minute

by biggest concern was that the effort would be wasted if the tweeter fouled the grill, but it just clears.

I have GT3 fixed back bucket seats as well so the whole affair was somewhat of a contortion :-)

Old 10-11-2013 | 09:18 AM
cab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by markiii again
Well I've not posted in a while as my previous account (markiii) has been giving errors and not allowing me to post since a change of email address.

And despite numerous emails over a month site Admins haven't even bothered to respond to my emails asking for help in resolving it. (thanks Admins appreciate its voluntary but you've been useless)

so I've had to register another account

4" ISC Coaxials are now in the rear. I managed to fab some spacers from 1/4 inch MDF and coax them into fitting. See pics

so far a distinct improvement in midrange and clarity, next stop dash tweeters

Hey Mark,

Thanks for the post. What speakers are those? They appear to be lower profile than the Focals 100.

Anyways, the 100's still protruded with that setup. And like you, I did not want to remove any panels. I have my plate made last night and should be done with the rear install today. Pics to follow.

Last edited by cab83_750; 10-11-2013 at 09:20 AM.
Old 10-11-2013 | 09:45 AM
They are Focal ISC 100s

I figured that the integration series were a better match for the integration used up front

Old 10-11-2013 | 10:08 AM
|
They are Focal ISC 100s

I figured that the integration series were a better match for the integration used up front
That's a good call. I only used the higher series because I got them very cheap.

Glad your tweeters cleared the covers, if you mount the speakers from the rear that is less of an issue, but would make it very difficult to install without removing the panel. (Actually impossible as you need to mount the speakers first, then you have nothing to hold onto when mounting the plate to the car panel. ) As you can see on Redwine702's pics, that pro just took out the panels. Installing without the panel removal is a much better diy approach though. Well done.

Old 10-11-2013 | 10:15 AM
|
More thoughts. I would use abs instead of mdf for the plates. It is sturdy, yet thinner and easier to get into the slot. Also, plastic is easy to cut. Available speaker abs already has pre stenciled marks for speakers, too.
Also, if you break off or cut off two of the speaker tabs, you will get an easier fit and avoid the interference with the panel slot. Two tabs are adequate to secure the speaker.

Old 10-11-2013 | 11:49 AM
I figured MDF would resonate less than ABS, however did I read that correctly there is specific speaker ABS?

Old 10-11-2013 | 11:55 AM
|
I figured MDF would resonate less than ABS, however did I read that correctly there is specific speaker ABS?
Yeah, Crutchfield sells plates that have speaker holes pre stenciled.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My budget audio install updated 3/22/15