997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

My budget audio install updated 3/22/15

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 02-26-2014 | 04:36 PM
TTvetdoc is infamous around these partsTTvetdoc is infamous around these parts
I also just completed the Bose sub swap with the Dayton drivers referenced by RyeM3 through Parts Express. Very straight-forward process using both RyeM3's instruction and the DIY Ecu removal guide on Rennlist. No issues to speak of.

Regarding the sound - I was very pleased off the bat, and I hope that as they break-in the SPL level will increase some. The bass is considerably tighter, much more musical, and blends much better with the fronts and rears (which were were all swapped to focals as RyeM3 did). I did have to increase the bass level output via the PCM 3 or 4 levels, although I expect to tune this down as they break in.

Overall I extremely pleased with the swap and it has completely correctly the issue of 'boomy' bass created with the stock Bose system. I have now replaced every speaker in the car, with professional installation for the fronts and rears, for under $1000 and the system is night and day from stock.

One question though. Is there any benefit to keeping the rear seat-backs down to expose the sub ports or is this unnecessary?

Russell

Last edited by TTvetdoc; 02-26-2014 at 05:42 PM.
Old 02-26-2014 | 05:36 PM
|
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by TTvetdoc
I also just complete the Bose sub swap with the Dayton drivers referenced by RyeM3 through Parts Express. Very straight-forward process using both RyeM3's instruction and the DIY Ecu removal guide on Rennlist. No issues to speak of.

Regarding the sound - I was very pleased off the bat, and I hope that as they break-in the SPL level will increase some. The bass is considerably tighter, much more musical, and blends much better with the fronts and rears (which were were all swapped to focals as RyeM3 did). I did have to increase the bass level output via the PCM 3 or 4 levels, although I expect to tune this down as they break in.

Overall I extremely pleased with the swap and it has completely correctly the issue of 'boomy' bass created with the stock Bose system. I have now replaced every speaker in the car, with professional installation for the fronts and rears, for under $1000 and the system is night and day from stock.

One question though. Is there any benefit to keeping the rear seat-backs down to expose the sub ports or is this unnecessary?

Russell
Awesome! Glad to hear it! As mentioned, I had to turn up the bass eq as well.

I have not noticed a big difference with the seats up or down.

Old 03-14-2014 | 12:09 PM
|
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Any other experiences? I'll be posting a follow up soon, as I've ripped the entire system out of my '08 and will be installing it in the new ride soon!

Old 03-14-2014 | 03:05 PM
TTvetdoc is infamous around these partsTTvetdoc is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ryem3
Any other experiences? I'll be posting a follow up soon, as I've ripped the entire system out of my '08 and will be installing it in the new ride soon!
I have been extremely happy with the Dayton subs even more as they break-in. I currently have the bass level at +4, and they deliver good tight bass which you certainly feel in your back.

Conrad - what you have purchased as your new ride!?

Russell

Old 03-20-2014 | 06:08 AM
lstoker is infamous around these parts
Lots of great information in this post. Thanks for putting it together!

I will be doing a similar upgrade in the near future, putting my list of mods together now.

Old 03-20-2014 | 09:47 AM
Administrator
IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !IB Tim Is a GOD !
4 separate posts in less then an 10 minutes
Originally Posted by DelReyCustoms
I been a little slow but here is the focal option i been promissing for 3 months

my bad we have just been swamped with builds!

http://delreycustoms.myshopify.com/p...-audio-upgrade

Old 03-21-2014 | 07:37 PM
|
I been a little slow but here is the focal option i been promissing for 3 months

my bad we have just been swamped with builds!

http://delreycustoms.myshopify.com/p...-audio-upgrade
Thanks for adding to the thread Shane. This is a kit for my budget install. Note that this doesn't include anything to install the coaxes in the rear panel and a rear plate requires some fab work. Perhaps he could include one in addition to the front spacers

Note that my original speakers have been discontinued. Others are likely available or the originals may still be available on eBay.

Old 03-21-2014 | 07:46 PM
|
So got some new 3 way speakers from Focal Check them out!

they have a 3 inch mid like the KRX3 and a step up form the polyglass at the same price.

I have them on special for 700.00 shipped with the 3/4 mdf adapter rings if anyone is interested

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kWC0AhFzcuY
Thanks for the contribution, they look very pretty.

For those that haven't struggled to make it through all the pages of the thread(!) note that the doors in a 997 will accept a 4" midrange and this kit has a 3". Not only is it short of the application, you would need to mod the attachment in a way to seal the speaker to the door. A job best left to a pro and not in the spirit of this DIY thread.

Also as I discovered at some cost and you agreed, the doors begin with 8" woofers. Downsizing to a 6.5" is nice, but loses a ton of potential. Making full use of the 8" hole in the doors results in kickass bass. If anyone wants a set of 6.5" Focal drivers, PM me.

If you want to market this for a Porsche, the video probably shouldn't be the one emphasizing the fit for Chryslers and Jeeps.

Old 03-29-2014 | 06:48 PM
|
I've installed my complete system into my '11 997.2 turbo. Good news and bad news.

Bad news. If you think the audio was improved in the .2 cars - the speakers are exactly the same as .1 cars! Every one, all the same. No improvements whatsoever. Same amp in the subwoofer too.

Good news. Beyond the better PCM 3 head unit, the specs reflect a higher output amp. Of course the PCM 3 is much better and in my car the universal audio interface is standard. It works well and has good ipod feed and control. Indeed, the amp does seem better and more powerful. The 8's I have in the doors seem to have more punch. The sound quality has just improved overall and is really brought out by new speakers. The stock Bose speakers are even more limiting in the new car. No highs and muddy bass still prevail. Swap out the drivers and it really unlocks a lot of potential. I'll really need to update my first post on the thread. I made the install much more efficient. For the punchline of the better install, I stripped the tweeters and simply dropped them into the stock locations. No dash modifications necessary. Naked tweeters shown below

Then, for the rear panels, I modified my plates and simply mounted them on the front. It wasn't so "simple", they needed to be relieved in several places to allow the grills to clear. Bit of a PIA, but MUCH easier than pulling the rear panels out of the car. Results were perfect, as shown below:

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	20140328_194232_zps7e160089.jpg
Views:	975
Size:	161.6 KB
ID:	352768   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140328_194225_zpsb66ed075.jpg
Views:	1492
Size:	150.6 KB
ID:	352769   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140329_131333_zpsa7607443.jpg
Views:	909
Size:	271.0 KB
ID:	352770   Click image for larger version

Name:	20140329_132210_zpsb9061b47.jpg
Views:	836
Size:	336.5 KB
ID:	352771  
Old 03-31-2014 | 08:02 AM
Bruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of light
Question: What about 5.1 DVD-Audio and that missing center-dash channel?

OK, here is a question from outer space.... I actually have a collection of 5.1 DVD Audio and our cars can play them! Yes they can. Try out Queen, Night at the Opera. Given that I play 5.1 DVD-Audio, I strongly suspect that I need that center channel.

Opinions? Experiences?

I don't use any enhancements in the audio menu and turn off any processing. I forget what those switches were as it has been a while... I think there were three, speed volume, surround sound, and linear?? Again, I don't remember the words used, but if it were not for 5.1 DVD-Audio, I suspect I would have disconnected the center channel anyway as I am an audio purist geek (yes, vainly pursuing high-end sound in a sports car).

By the way, another good one is Doors Riders on the Storm. To get a feel for what it sounds like in 5.1, put on the stereo version and park the car outside in a thunder storm... ooooooo...... ahhhhhhhh......

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce in Philly; 03-31-2014 at 09:22 AM.
Old 03-31-2014 | 04:11 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Bruce in Philly
Question: What about 5.1 DVD-Audio and that missing center-dash channel?

By the way, another good one is Doors Riders on the Storm. To get a feel for what it sounds like in 5.1, put on the stereo version and park the car outside in a thunder storm... ooooooo...... ahhhhhhhh......
..and pass the blunt

my oem Bose center speaker is still working fine.. and sound staging with the center is good, so i have not disconnected it.

IMO u should be able to listen to ur 5.1 collection to ur hearts content.

Last edited by crazycarlitos; 03-31-2014 at 04:17 PM.
Old 03-31-2014 | 07:17 PM
|
Ah well, I'll need to index this behemoth of a thread! Later in the thread, you'll find that I added a Focal tweeter in place of the center speaker. Works great and matches perfectly with the tweeters, of course. I don't get the sense it's overdriven. I think if you keep the Bose center, it is more efficient than the tweeters and tends to blare out midrange from the front. Take the speaker out, it's quite another little 3" cheap midrange. Well, let me call it a higher quality midrange, but still a little 3" speaker with a small magnet.

The PCM 3 plays DVD A? I'm surprised about that anyway. Not sure you can even find DVD A software anymore! Latest thing is DSD, but I don't even have any recorded using it.

Old 04-04-2014 | 09:17 AM
ryan996tt is a splendid one to beholdryan996tt is a splendid one to beholdryan996tt is a splendid one to beholdryan996tt is a splendid one to beholdryan996tt is a splendid one to beholdryan996tt is a splendid one to behold
This is a great thread. I have 2 questions for anyone that's gone down this route:

1. Has anyone put Dynamat on the inside of the doors while they're apart? If so, was it worthwhile?

2. Focal makes a 4" speaker. Will that squeeze into the opening for the center channel on the dash where the 3" speaker comes stock?

Old 04-04-2014 | 09:49 AM
|
Originally Posted by ryan996tt
This is a great thread. I have 2 questions for anyone that's gone down this route:

1. Has anyone put Dynamat on the inside of the doors while they're apart? If so, was it worthwhile?

2. Focal makes a 4" speaker. Will that squeeze into the opening for the center channel on the dash where the 3" speaker comes stock?
Thanks!
When you have the door panels off, you'll note that you don't really get "inside" the doors. (Check the pics). The guy at Al&Eds had added Dynamat. I didn't. I note it is very heavy and very expensive. I would also note that the doors have no insulation whatsoever!

Putting a 4" in the center would be a LOT of work for limited return. The space is VERY tight. Don't think it could even be done without modding the dash cover.

Last edited by ryem3; 04-04-2014 at 06:26 PM.
Old 04-04-2014 | 09:07 PM
sixgun95 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ryan996tt

Dynamat is wonderful! However doing only the doors is not worth it. If you gut the interior and install it there will be zero road noise, its nice. A friend has it in his vette and you would think you were in sound proof room.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My budget audio install updated 3/22/15