997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

My budget audio install updated 3/22/15

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-11-2014 | 07:07 PM
SecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by DelReyCustoms
Call Porsche for the fair market value of an amp!
I don't think you understand what fair market value means. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fair_market_value
Keep doing the upgrades I'm not saying not to but with amps
Then why are you offering upgrade packages (in this thread) with the exact speakers that ryem3 found and no amps?

Your only make 6.25 amps of power at 4 ohms.
6.25A @ 4 Ohms = 156.25 Watts. Just a few posts ago you claimed 10 watts. Which is it?

Last 9 months no failures on tail lights 157 sets sold!
And in the last thread you refused to extend the warranty past 1 year when people were asking about tails failing 1-2 years out.

Old 05-11-2014 | 09:04 PM
|
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !

But remember The OP bought for his GT3 1500.00 Dyn audio speakers, 300 dollar JL audio amp and 700,00 navigation on this old car.
Meh tries the 500.00 focal 3 ways and came back for an upgrade. That is the facts.
I don't know who you think the OP is, but I don't have a GT3. I'm the OP.

I'm not really going to touch anything else here. I don't know how someone "blew a tweeter", because only some high current feed would do that. If you disconnect the battery, as recommended, no way that is going to happen, in phase or out. Enough people have posted the correct phase of the Porsche wiring, so issues there are simple user error. If the amp is blown, that's another issue. Living with Porsche for a while now, I've not heard of any Bose amp issues. But if you short the speaker wires, you could blow a channel or worse.

Listening is believing. Anyone else that has done the conversion can chime in. The amp does not need to clip to produce high volumes. That simple. You can't be suggesting that adding Focal's "Integration" series (specifically intended to replace OEM drivers) is going to excessively stress a factory amp. I would rather question the logic of an upgrade that swaps out the head unit to pump more watts into the cheap, OEM Bose drivers. I'd rather wait and hear how many people will suffer blown speakers as a result of upgrading the head unit.

Old 05-12-2014 | 08:32 AM
Bruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of light
Disconnect your battery before working.... but safe as both leads, positive and negative are disconnected when off.

This is always a good idea. To be honest, I did not do this... I guess I am a bit of a risk taker. However in doing the work and trying to determine polarity of the cables, I found that turning the Bose system off and keeping the key out BREAKS BOTH POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE LEADS.

So, while I don't recommend leaving the battery connected, I feel very confident you wont do damage shorting the system while working on it.

How do I know? I discovered this while trying to determine the polarity using my multimeter. A trick is to shut your radio off and the check continuity between each lead to chassis ground (your meter will not actually complete the circuit so it is safe to do this). In the "old days", turning the radio off would break the positive but the negative was always grounded to chassis. So, your meter would beep when it could complete a circuit to ground.... this means you found the negative lead. The negative lead is grounded to chassis on the other end at the radio unit. When you touched your meter to the positive wire and then to chassis (door hinge bolt) it would not register as it was an open circuit.

When I tried this on my Bose system, I had the radio turned OFF and the key OUT. I got no continuity on either lead. This tells me the Bose system breaks each side of the circuit when off. In other words.... it is safe to work on the system without the battery disconnected. Again, I can't recommend this but... just sayin'.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Last edited by Bruce in Philly; 05-12-2014 at 09:52 AM.
Old 05-12-2014 | 11:05 AM
SecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant future
I like how instead of ask why some choose to launch on to personal attacks, and banter to discredit everything we have done to help people on here. Yes we're a shop. I don't pay to play to not make a profit. Remember it 1000.00 a month for me to be on this forum and have an online store. It's not cheep. But I can take the personal attacks. And people who want to discredit everything we have done but have never done business with is and assume what we're all about.
You came here and started telling stories about how this is blowing amps and such, and let's say your credibility hasn't been very good on this forum. You have a history of telling "colorful" stories about competing products in the name of making a sale.

The numbers you keep providing here don't make any sense.

The amp only does 10 watts at 4ohm. 15 watts at 2 and 22 watts at 1 ohm.
10 amps at 1 ohm.
6.25 at 4 ohms
Those numbers equal 100W @ 1 ohm and 156.25W @ 4 Ohms. So now you're saying it's 10x more powerful than you original said, and it's more efficient at 4 Ohms? The latter of which would actually make sense, but it's contrary to what you said previously.

Old 05-13-2014 | 02:05 PM
Helix's website says those drivers are 4 Ohms, and that their 8" drivers are not full range (subs).

Old 05-13-2014 | 02:37 PM
|
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Thanks for the contribution. That could really be a good budget upgrade set. I'm sure you would agree that one shouldn't mix and match Helix with Focal here - it's all of one or the other.

The only other thought is that I specifically avoided installing a set with a separate crossover. As you had pointed out actually, you instantly introduce problems locating the crossover, issues with RF interference and other problems. The Focal's were great because the crossovers/filters are integrated into the speaker units. If you recommend these units, we'd need some guidance on how to deal with the crossover unit.

I believe most have used the 100 CVX 4" coaxes in the rear panels and the doors. Not sure if my link will work.

http://api.viglink.com/api/click?for...%20Forums&txt=

also helix has there match 4 inch components work with factory amplifiers Bose amplifiers 249.99

they also have a Factory Bose Upgrade 8 inch door driver for $249.99 for the Pair

1 ohm drivers Bose Amp Stable German certified

So with Helix new Match Speakers for BMW/Audi/Porsche you can be at 2 sets of componets and a set of 8 inch door drivers with the proper crossovers and 1 ohm stable speakers designed for a power and fitment match upgrade with install hardware for around

$750.00 for 10 speaker upgrade.

Old 05-13-2014 | 03:56 PM
Stage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond repute
A very entertaining thread with useful info scattered in.

Ryem- Thanks for posting and sharing your journey and results. I'm pretty close to you and make it to White Plains monthly to visit clients. I'd love to meet and listen to your install one day.

The Bose in my CTTS is better than the Bose in my 997.2tt. I can live with the CTTS, but the 997 Bose has to go.

Has anyone tried the Jehnerts for the Porsche? They make a few different options. I've had good experience with their drivers in other cars:

http://en.jehnert.com/produkte-doorb...ite?lang=en_us

Also, for anyone looking for a lightweight compact amp, I've been running a pair of these in my C6 Z06 for 6 mos now. They drive 10" dynaudio midbasses in the doors, a pair of Micro-Precision full rangers, and a Helix 10" subwoofer without skipping a beat. They weigh less than 2 lbs each, and kick butt.

http://www.focal.com/en/amplifiers-a...2-fd-4350.html

Old 05-13-2014 | 10:10 PM
4flynlow is infamous around these parts
Shane
I am located in North San Diego county.
I may be interested in testing your theory.
Please contact me at jbrusseau@newportnational.com and we can discuss further.
Thanks!

Old 05-14-2014 | 08:16 PM
|
Originally Posted by Stage7

Has anyone tried the Jehnerts for the Porsche? They make a few different options. I've had good experience with their drivers in other cars:

http://en.jehnert.com/produkte-doorb...ite?lang=en_us
System is almost $1500. Looks very nice and a perfect fit, but hardly worth the price.
http://www.soundevo.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=6669

Last edited by ryem3; 05-14-2014 at 08:19 PM.
Old 05-14-2014 | 08:32 PM
|
Originally Posted by Stage7
Also, for anyone looking for a lightweight compact amp, I've been running a pair of these in my C6 Z06 for 6 mos now. They drive 10" dynaudio midbasses in the doors, a pair of Micro-Precision full rangers, and a Helix 10" subwoofer without skipping a beat. They weigh less than 2 lbs each, and kick butt.

http://www.focal.com/en/amplifiers-a...2-fd-4350.html
Providing others some quick reference. The little compact amp is $400. Plenty of offerings in this category, but potentially this works in tight spaces as a class D amp. I know JL Audio and Alpine also have some hot, tiny class D amps in this range. No heat from these either.

Old 05-14-2014 | 08:41 PM
|
also helix has there match 4 inch components work with factory amplifiers Bose amplifiers 249.99

they also have a Factory Bose Upgrade 8 inch door driver for $249.99 for the Pair

So with Helix new Match Speakers for BMW/Audi/Porsche you can be at 2 sets of componets and a set of 8 inch door drivers with the proper crossovers and 1 ohm stable speakers designed for a power and fitment match upgrade with install hardware for around

Alright, finally some time to maintain my thread!

Thanks for the suggestions.

I'm VERY curious about this one. Looks like a standard 4 ohm speaker set. Helix MS4C set. Nothing on their website about 1 ohm or Bose compatibility. This is a BMW set.
http://www.helixhifi.com/products/pr...211&p_tab_id=3

AND, you didn't address my other point about the crossover. How is the DIY guy going to install this? Seriously. The wires for the tweeter come out at the dash. The 4" door wires are in the door. Both of those wires need to go into the crossover, then back into the speakers. GREAT if you want to run new wires to the tweeters - presuming your leaving the crossover in the door. Where do you install the crossover? Please explain. A DIYer is not running new wiring. Most people's eyes glaze over when I tell them I pulled the door panels off my $100k car!!!

Here is another question, you sell the Focal IS200 kit and the 100 CVX's as "my" budget recommendation. Have you ever installed the set in a Porsche?

Keep the BUDGET recommendations coming!

Last edited by ryem3; 05-18-2014 at 08:18 PM.
Old 05-20-2014 | 02:29 PM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
Conrad, this might sound funny but my system seems to sound a lot better with what i have done so far; deactivate center speaker, replace front tweeters with focals and replace rear speakers with polyplanar. I guess it just removed a lot of the "noisy" mid and high end potion of the bose and cleaned it up a bit. Im realizing what you system indeed could provide. Iv kept the bass and door setup so my volume is still there. Maybe part of the sound improvement could also be the ability to change the eq settings through the ipod.

Old 05-27-2014 | 08:06 PM
|
Originally Posted by slicky rick
Conrad, this might sound funny but my system seems to sound a lot better with what i have done so far; deactivate center speaker, replace front tweeters with focals and replace rear speakers with polyplanar. I guess it just removed a lot of the "noisy" mid and high end potion of the bose and cleaned it up a bit. Im realizing what you system indeed could provide. Iv kept the bass and door setup so my volume is still there. Maybe part of the sound improvement could also be the ability to change the eq settings through the ipod.
These speakers need break in time, which comes slowly in a car. You NEED to make the door conversion! It isn't that hard. You really need to pry hard to remove the panels, but even if you leave a mark, it will be far less noticeable than on the dash. Be sure to get the spacers in advance or plan a bunch of time to cut them and drill them. The difference with a set of real 8's in the doors is HUGE. I'm telling you, you won't regret it.

Old 05-27-2014 | 09:46 PM
6spdcoupe is infamous around these parts
Rattle canned MDF ? Surely Porsche owners are worthy of better and with a smoother finish, no ?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77U_wiWFfhU

Speaker adapters now avaiable at

delreycustoms.com 49.95 a pair Fronts

Work on the rears making a few revisions for focal

question

Are most of you putting the coax in the back or a componet?

need to know because the focal tweeter on the coax does have some height to it.

The spaces we have are for the Helix 4 in E42C component... not bad price at 249.99 for a rear 4 inch component and install plate.
Email me on the helix if you interested

The Esprit E42C features a dedicated 4.00" diameter woofer, 1" silk dome tweeter and 2-way crossover. A fibre-plastic compound has a woven structure that delivers necessary stability for diaphragms to provide immunity to unwanted resonances. These mechanical properties of the Esprit series make it the ideal material for loudspeakers due to the combination of low weight with sustained durability. The result is powerful unadulterated sound quality at the highest level.

Power handling 15-105 watts german made with german mounting tabs
No. Just no. All Match systems are designed for BMW, with exception to one, which is for a VW. Offering these as an option for a Porsche is just silly.

Why would you try to make a (consumer level) $1k pairing to 'try' on OE speakers ? There are a ton of other way to test such things, but as a professional you should already know the outcome.

The cool thing is the mobridge Most adapter to replace the factory amp would be cool with third amps I'm going to do the xd and a mobridge soon talked to a few people today.

We're going try testing it with the OEM speakers

From my experience just swapping the amp and ditching the preset filters and crossovers on the OEM amp and providing a little more power to the OEM speakers do make a huge upgrade in sound. Plus you can do it with minimal part removed. This is also a good option to upgrade the sound and not have to worry about replacing speakers and pulling panels

Also when use the Bose amp the crossovers are not needed with the focal because the amp is pre crossovers.

If anyone in SoCal want to do some testing on a Sunday I would be more than happy to come in and make some videos and document the favs of the Bose amp and the actual power were dealing with

It would verify a lot of information.

Anyone down for that?

Old 05-27-2014 | 09:50 PM
6spdcoupe is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ryem3
System is almost $1500. Looks very nice and a perfect fit, but hardly worth the price.
http://www.soundevo.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=6669
Not quite that high, when purchased in the US, from the US.

Out of curiosity, where did you draw your conclusion about being 'worth it' ? I can only assume you have experience with the product and company ?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My budget audio install updated 3/22/15