997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

My budget audio install updated 3/22/15

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 05-28-2014 | 08:33 AM
Stage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ryem3
System is almost $1500. Looks very nice and a perfect fit, but hardly worth the price.
http://www.soundevo.co.uk/shopexd.asp?id=6669
I just ordered them (for less than $1500). I'll have them installed in the next few weeks. Since we're close, we should meet up after they're installed. I'm curious as to how they would sound compared to the Focals. For the record, I'm not predicting nor proclaiming they will sound better or worse. I don't know. The exact drop in nature was the main attraction.

For the first stage, I'm going to just drop them in and have them powered off of the Bose setup. If I'm happy, I'll leave them like that. Otherwise, I'll put one of the small Focal amps on them.

BTW, unless something has come out very recently, only Helix has amps with dimensions/weight remotely similar to the Focals. The JL's are not close.

I have the Focal amps installed in my Z06 UNDER carpet w/out a false floor since last summer (in an area they cannot be damaged).

A very stealthy install that wouldn't have been possible with another amp, and heat has not been an issue. Are they as capable as a big, heavy, more powerful amp, I'm sure they are not, but they perform fine for my needs.

At 1.8lbs each, I don't feel guilty about the added weight either.

Old 05-28-2014 | 11:09 AM
|
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Awesome. Very interested to compare them. I'm sure the install will be a lot easier of course. Very curious how much they set you back. They look like very nice quality.

Everyone has their own sense of value. The installation mounts don't actually add anything to the sound quality, although I'm sure they will ease the install. I'm curious if there is a US source for them- I didn't search very hard.

Would be really interested to compare them. Good luck on the install and please post the results.

Last edited by ryem3; 05-28-2014 at 11:23 AM.
Old 05-28-2014 | 12:04 PM
6spdcoupe is infamous around these parts
I'm curious if there is a US source for them- I didn't search very hard.
There is .. http://en.jehnert.com/distributers/

Old 05-28-2014 | 08:09 PM
|
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by 6spdcoupe
Ok, I'll bite. I assume you know these guys because you are from NJ. Nothing to speak of on their website, they appear to be a high end installer. If you know the price, please post it. If you are affiliated, please state that you are affiliated.

Stage7 already ordered a set, so I'm very anxious to hear how they are. Also very interested to hear how much they are. The forum is free space; no restrictions on posting prices. I'm also keeping in mind that this only covers the doors and dash, so then you need to find a suitable match for the rear panels.

Old 05-28-2014 | 11:00 PM
6spdcoupe is infamous around these parts
Ok, I'll bite. I assume you know these guys because you are from NJ. Nothing to speak of on their website, they appear to be a high end installer. If you know the price, please post it. If you are affiliated, please state that you are affiliated.

Stage7 already ordered a set, so I'm very anxious to hear how they are. Also very interested to hear how much they are. The forum is free space; no restrictions on posting prices. I'm also keeping in mind that this only covers the doors and dash, so then you need to find a suitable match for the rear panels.

Yes I am very much affiliated. No secrets here though, I left that as well as numbers out as I am not a vendor and don't want to ruffle feathers trying to appear as one or skating the rules.

Regarding the rears.. You can keep that it mind, but it would be very incorrect. With all due respect, do you look, even a little bit ? http://en.jehnert.com/produkte-doorb...che?lang=en_us No sarcasm intended and not trying to be confrontational, but it seems you are assuming a lot and not looking at all. There are no secret menus or elaborate searches, it is right there when you click on the appropriate vehicle.

Old 05-29-2014 | 07:49 AM
|
Originally Posted by 6spdcoupe

Yes I am very much affiliated. No secrets here though, I left that as well as numbers out as I am not a vendor and don't want to ruffle feathers trying to appear as one or skating the rules.

Regarding the rears.. You can keep that it mind, but it would be very incorrect. With all due respect, do you look, even a little bit ? http://en.jehnert.com/produkte-doorb...che?lang=en_us No sarcasm intended and not trying to be confrontational, but it seems you are assuming a lot and not looking at all. There are no secret menus or elaborate searches, it is right there when you click on the appropriate vehicle.
Ok, so you are somehow affiliated. Links to the German website provide some insight. Looks like very nice custom enclosure, but another $1k just for the rears? The only US distributor is your shop in NJ? Need some insight on pricing or where we can find it. This looks like a nice DIY option, but I'm not sure if it fits into the "budget" spirit of this thread.

Old 06-10-2014 | 08:36 PM
|
Anybody with an install update?

Last edited by ryem3; 06-10-2014 at 08:57 PM.
Old 06-10-2014 | 08:51 PM
Stage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond repute
The speakers are scheduled to arrive on Friday.

Old 06-11-2014 | 10:15 AM
Bruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of light
Sound update....

I guess I had my new speakers installed now for about 1 month (?) and here is summary:

1 - I am glad I did it
2 - Sound is improved.... a bit more clarity and more enjoyment from the system
3 - Tonal balance is shifted..... I seem to have a bit of a peak in the lower midrange... not good but not bad... benefits outweigh this issue
4 - If you do it, don't assume your system will be "transformed". You will get an improved sound but.....
5 - The real evil is the head unit. I would trash that amp in a heartbeat if anyone has a real solution.
6 - If I had to guess.... totally guess .... I believe improvement in the sound would be 70% electronics and 30% speakers.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Old 06-11-2014 | 11:52 AM
Serg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bruce in Philly
5 - The real evil is the head unit. I would trash that amp in a heartbeat if anyone has a real solution.
real solution for what?

Old 06-11-2014 | 04:55 PM
|
Originally Posted by Bruce in Philly
Sound update....

I guess I had my new speakers installed now for about 1 month (?) and here is summary:

1 - I am glad I did it
2 - Sound is improved.... a bit more clarity and more enjoyment from the system
3 - Tonal balance is shifted..... I seem to have a bit of a peak in the lower midrange... not good but not bad... benefits outweigh this issue
4 - If you do it, don't assume your system will be "transformed". You will get an improved sound but.....
6 - If I had to guess.... totally guess .... I believe improvement in the sound would be 70% electronics and 30% speakers.

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Great to hear you've enjoyed an improvement.
I would only offer a couple more thoughts:
Don't know how many miles you've driven in that month, but the stuff takes a while to break in. You may still be in the break in period.
That mid range glare you may hear is that front center channel speaker. It is now more efficient than everything else, so it's louder and it sounds bad. Just disconnect it and see if you notice or like the difference.
I really don't think the head unit and amp are that bad. Or the head unit is a problem that a mere $2000 will fix. The amp is another $500 plus, if course.

Old 06-11-2014 | 06:07 PM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
That mid range glare you may hear is that front center channel speaker. It is now more efficient than everything else, so it's louder and it sounds bad. Just disconnect it and see if you notice or like the difference.
I left the center speaker connected for awhile now.. and I am gonna have to agree with u. It is louder than the Focals and I am prob gonna have to disconnect it now =)

Oh, while we are at the front, disconnect the center speaker. I tried leaving it in, but it is more efficient than the Focal tweeters and will be blaring while the other speakers try to work. The center cover is interesting. It has a sensor mounted on it, so be careful. Also, the cover looks simple, but actually has quite a long tab at the front, close to the window. You really need a trim tool to lever that piece out. It doesn't take much force, but if you try to rip it out by pulling on the back, I suspect the tab will break. It should be levered straight up.
u have a pic of the tab, so I know which way to push/pull ? thx !

Old 06-11-2014 | 08:48 PM
|
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos
u have a pic of the tab, so I know which way to push/pull ? thx !
Sorry, no pics and I had a hard time finding any instructions on what to do. The edge towards the interior comes up fairly easily. Then, do not pry it off. The edge towards the windshield should be pulled straight up. Best way is to use a pry tool that way you can lever it straight up. It is a fairly long tab. Not that difficult, pull up slowly, it is a long tab. I've done it few times now. Didn't have any issues.

Old 06-14-2014 | 12:37 AM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
Ok here is where i am right now...to conrad and other bros... I started with the focal tweeters for the front. Thereafter i got lazy with the other speakers but i had all of them already...i then proceeded to put in 3" polyplanars at the back. All of my mods were very simple plug and play and easily reversible without any destruction of original plastic mounts. Thereafter, when listening i noticed a bit cleaner sound. I guess the tweeters of the bose system were really noisy! Now the mids were a bit overpowering plus a boomy and somewhat forced bass. I removed the center speaker in the front too.
So now my issue was the subwoofer. What i tried now was to remove the oem bose sub and temporarily placed an infinity basslink on the rear seat. The connection was so simple! From one side where the wire was orange and brown - positive, then brown negative, the the switched power, then the neg signal and lastly the positive signal. I simply connected the power line to the infinity and the signal i seperated to the infinity speaker inputs. Guess what bros. the things sound great! So simple install. Cleaner bass, and it shakes the rear view mirror. This is now able to balance the strenght of the oem bose units. Im wondering where a problem could arise as i tried upping the volume and there was no clippping nor any sound degradation. I also tried running the engine as the pcm would turn off after awhile....no engine noise.. This is so much better. So much cleaner ans more powerful!! What can go wrong bros?

Old 06-14-2014 | 12:38 AM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
Apparently the signal inputs are speaker inputs and the oem bose sub amp is only like a booster amp of some sort...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My budget audio install updated 3/22/15