997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

My budget audio install updated 3/22/15

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-14-2014 | 12:59 AM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
Infinity settings for optimal sound, gain at mid, bass boost slightly below mid, crossover set mid way between the lowest and mid settings. Phase set at 0. I will ride her and see how she sound when running and report back.

Old 06-15-2014 | 08:55 AM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
Impressions when on the move. I needed to increase the crossover point and add some gain. New settings crossover less than 3/4 way around, gain half way, bass boost just after halfway. But it sounds great. So clean unforced and really solid. My only feel is its coming from behind me and i feel its not surround. I know low sound is mono but is just a feel. I havent ridden on the other seat. Even at loud volumes no flickering of lights so i guess the power wirings are sufficient. Only real drawback is you see the basslink behind the drivers seat. I removed the seat since no one really rides behind me...im 6'4"

Old 06-15-2014 | 08:59 AM
Maybe i will get rid of the bose subwoofer to reduce weight but i need to cover those brackets. That should offset the weight gain...hahaha i think this should really be part of conrads budget audio upgrade. Dont want to touch my system anymore. Now i have unused speakers around....where to put?

Old 06-15-2014 | 06:53 PM
|
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Save the speakers for when you sell the car! Then sell the system to another forum member.

The risk is that the power wire not sufficient gauge for the needs of the amp. The result would be excessive heat and could ultimately be a fire. I would at least check the cable after driving it hard and see if it is hot. Some of those units use class d amps, which would make a big difference in current draw. Not sure if the basslink is one of them.

I would have recommended looking at the Focal unit or another flat 8" unit since it would fit behind the rear seats on the shelf. Where do you have the basslink? Sitting where the seat was?

Old 06-16-2014 | 04:23 AM
yes. i removed the rear seat behind the driver and that is where the basslink is situated. i would think that if the wire was not sufficient that when i crank up the volume there would be some flikering of lights or what not at night. this is totally not there. even when the bass is banging no change in the lights of the dash or interior lights that indicate insufficient current draw. im leaning more on could i damage the bose amp getting the signal from there going into the basslink

Old 06-16-2014 | 04:40 PM
|
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
I'm not an electrician, but I would say that lights flickering is probably not the best indicator. I would think you could get a better indication by simply feeling if the wiring to sub is getting warm - or even hot after playing music for a while at decent volume.

Old 06-17-2014 | 06:03 AM
Hi shane thank you for chiming in. Maybe you can share to all our brothers monitoring this topic what we can do to check if the oem wiring is sufficient or not. im sure everyone will be appreciative because im sure so many are monitoring considering how big this topoc has grown, and just maybe we could be on to something so simple yet so effective.
Will there be any long term issues getting the signal from the bose. Will it damage the bose or the infinity. Will there be issues using the oem wiring to run the basslink. I tell you guys this mod is strong and very powerful. Effortless bass i tell you, effortless.

Old 06-23-2014 | 07:20 PM
|
Did you get a chance to check the operating temps of your wiring? My simple sub driver swap with the 8's in the doors is now well broken in and provides very ample bass response. Any more and I'd rattle the crap out of everything. I think any more investment for me would be seriously diminishing returns. I highly recommend the Dayton Audio drivers into the stock Bose sub box.

Old 06-24-2014 | 05:07 AM
i did not notice anything abnormal with the wire temps, just by touching them. my only real problem is the look. one day i am sure i will remove the basslink and really just ride her without music. i understand the sentiments of a lot of our brothers saying listen to the soundof the car…well unfortunately the 997.2 is a car that really lacks sound..just saying.
right now all is well and i just remove the sub when i need to remove and install when i want to listen to my music.

Old 06-24-2014 | 09:20 AM
Stage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond repute
The fact the 997.2 is so quiet is appealing to me. After being into LS based Corvettes including my 500ci C6 Z06 for a long time, I appreciate some peace and quiet and being able to appreciate the benefits of a quality stereo. Maybe when my Z is gone I'll miss the visceral sound more and crave it from my .2, but I doubt it.

Different strokes I guess.

Last edited by Stage7; 06-24-2014 at 09:24 AM.
Old 06-24-2014 | 10:40 AM
|
Originally Posted by slicky rick
i did not notice anything abnormal with the wire temps, just by touching them. my only real problem is the look. one day i am sure i will remove the basslink and really just ride her without music. i understand the sentiments of a lot of our brothers saying listen to the soundof the car…well unfortunately the 997.2 is a car that really lacks sound..just saying.
right now all is well and i just remove the sub when i need to remove and install when i want to listen to my music.
Yeah, that's why I would suggest people try the driver substitution in the stock Bose box. The results are very good and you have a totally stock appearance.

Old 06-24-2014 | 10:41 AM
|
Originally Posted by Stage7
The fact the 997.2 is so quiet is appealing to me. After being into LS based Corvettes including my 500ci C6 Z06 for a long time, I appreciate some peace and quiet and being able to appreciate the benefits of a quality stereo. Maybe when my Z is gone I'll miss the visceral sound more and crave it from my .2, but I doubt it.

Different strokes I guess.
Lol! You did exhaust though! Of course I'm sure it is still a far cry from the Z06!

Old 06-24-2014 | 02:13 PM
Stage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ryem3
Lol! You did exhaust though! Of course I'm sure it is still a far cry from the Z06!
I aborted mission that night. I just put the bumper back on and focused on the wheel and tires. Drive mint btw.

I'm going to create a thread on the Jehnerts btw. Just been really busy lately.

Old 06-30-2014 | 02:33 PM
This is how my sub install looks. Well it looks bad but is sure sounds good. With the bass links adjustability it really suits the various types of music I listen to. Is say this is really a budget install. For those not too concerned with aesthetics. My recommendation. But take note also includes removal of center speaker and changing the rear speakers to 3 inch polyplanar which lowers the rear volume and adds clarity

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image.jpg
Views:	137
Size:	1.91 MB
ID:	392907  
Old 06-30-2014 | 02:39 PM
By the way folks, you dont even have to wire the switch wire. The vasslink has auto swithching with the speaker input. Hehehe a small benefit, and it works. Inly four wires are connected the the sub.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My budget audio install updated 3/22/15