997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

My budget audio install updated 3/22/15

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 06-30-2014 | 08:05 PM
Matt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud ofMatt(inMA) has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by slicky rick
This is how my sub install looks. Well it looks bad but is sure sounds good. With the bass links adjustability it really suits the various types of music I listen to. Is say this is really a budget install. For those not too concerned with aesthetics. My recommendation. But take note also includes removal of center speaker and changing the rear speakers to 3 inch polyplanar which lowers the rear volume and adds clarity
All due respect I think that's taking the "budget" install to the ghetto install. For me better sounding bass would not be worth having a sub belted to a rear seat ... That's just me and I respect every car owner's desire to do whatever they want.

Matt

Old 07-01-2014 | 08:15 AM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Matt(inMA)
All due respect I think that's taking the "budget" install to the ghetto install. For me better sounding bass would not be worth having a sub belted to a rear seat ... That's just me and I respect every car owner's desire to do whatever they want.

Matt
LOL. Well, at least cover it up with acoustically transparent cloth or something.

You know, you could easily put a molded passenger seat well 10" sub in for less than $1k...dunno if that's not budget enough for this thread.

Old 07-01-2014 | 11:40 AM
|
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by gasongasoff

LOL. Well, at least cover it up with acoustically transparent cloth or something.

You know, you could easily put a molded passenger seat well 10" sub in for less than $1k...dunno if that's not budget enough for this thread.
Hey bud, good to see you back on the board! Any thoughts on running a powered sub using the stock power wiring?

Old 07-01-2014 | 04:27 PM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
Agree with all you guys. Like i said it does not look good. But, take note, but it sounds good and using very simple wiring. With this prototype at least someone out there could use the priciples learned here. For me this is better than most who permanently install those big subs in enclosures that occupy the whole rear shelf lets learn and improve...

Old 07-01-2014 | 07:56 PM
|
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Agree with all you guys. Like i said it does not look good. But, take note, but it sounds good and using very simple wiring. With this prototype at least someone out there could use the priciples learned here. For me this is better than most who permanently install those big subs in enclosures that occupy the whole rear shelf lets learn and improve...
That's true. And I think one of the flat 8" subs would easily fit on the rear shelf and be totally unobtrusive. Focal and Sound Ordinance make ones. Real question is, will the Bose sub power lead be adequate? Gasongasoff knows car audio better than me and could provide guidance.

Old 07-07-2014 | 11:02 AM
crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !crazycarlitos Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by ryem3
That mid range glare you may hear is that front center channel speaker. It is now more efficient than everything else, so it's louder and it sounds bad. Just disconnect it and see if you notice or like the difference.
I finally removed the center speaker over the weekend.

I definitely noticed an improvement in clarity.. and the over-all sound is more harmonious. I would agree 100% that removing the center Bose speaker is the way to go if u upgrade the other speakers.

Old 07-07-2014 | 12:33 PM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
With my system soundign alot better i tried to listen and see where i could still improve. The focal tweeters installed in the front were so weak vs the door speakers which are still oem...i think i need to replace the fronts with a better louder but still clear tweeters

Old 07-08-2014 | 08:18 PM
|
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos

I definitely noticed an improvement in clarity.. and the over-all sound is more harmonious. I would agree 100% that removing the center Bose speaker is the way to go if u upgrade the other speakers.
Glad to hear you did that. The efficiency difference is pretty big so glad you were happy with the change.

Old 07-08-2014 | 08:22 PM
|
With my system soundign alot better i tried to listen and see where i could still improve. The focal tweeters installed in the front were so weak vs the door speakers which are still oem...i think i need to replace the fronts with a better louder but still clear tweeters
Oh man, you still haven't done the doors? I thought you bought the speakers. Don't worry, the doors aren't any harder than the dash tweeters. The mid ranges install very easily. Just like the center channel, any of the stock speakers will be a lot more efficient than the Focals, so either disconnect them or replace them. The system will be much more balanced.

Old 07-09-2014 | 04:11 AM
Conrad sad to say, nope. Havent really gotten the time to just do those doors. Have the speakers but honestly im a bit more satisfied wih the sound with the sub back there. I will do it. I even have the door clips just in case i destroy some of them. Everything ready except me. Hahahah

Old 07-09-2014 | 06:48 AM
Stage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond reputeStage7 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by crazycarlitos

I had the same experience. I'm surprised you lived with the center speaker connected so long. I didn't make it out of the driveway before it was disconnected.

Prior to disconnecting the center channel speaker, I thought I'd made a mistake replacing the Bose speakers. It was a significant improvement removing it from the equation.

I'm glad you are enjoying your new speakers without the legacy Bose driver spoiling the fun.

Old 07-21-2014 | 08:56 PM
|
Hey guys, any updates on installs?

Old 09-13-2014 | 04:49 PM
Bruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of lightBruce in Philly is a glorious beacon of light
Center Dash Speaker:

Recommendation for a resistor to tone it down???

What are typical values?

I want to keep it as I use the 5.1 DVD As and you just need it.

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Old 09-13-2014 | 05:45 PM
cab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Bruce in Philly
Center Dash Speaker:

What are typical values?

Peace
Bruce in Philly

Resistor would have been the cheapest route. However, I ended up replacing it with a similar tweeter as the corner ones.

Old 09-13-2014 | 06:00 PM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Bruce in Philly
Center Dash Speaker:

What are typical values?

Peace
Bruce in Philly
Yes. Place a 100,000,000 ohm resistor in series.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My budget audio install updated 3/22/15