997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

My budget audio install updated 3/22/15

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 03-13-2015 | 11:26 AM
Shardul is infamous around these parts
Any recommendations for a low cost 4" speaker for the back ?

Old 03-13-2015 | 02:21 PM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
I have polyplanar 3" speakers at the back. These are bolt on to the existing plastic mounting plate. No need to replace anything. You simply need to remove the previous speaker. I also disconnected the tweeter. To my ears, iit rthe system sounds great specially with spottily playing. I can't imagine how the 8's could make it any better. But when I get hold of a proper spacer, it will get installed too. I am a believer of ryem3's budget audio install.

Old 03-13-2015 | 02:27 PM
slicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of lightslicky rick is a glorious beacon of light
Conrad, the bass currently produced is really quite clean, no muddiness at all and is very well balanced. I am amazed how it feels like it is able to produce very low frequencies. High volume is now very easy to listen too unlike before were high volumes are very irritating and you just want to turn off the damn thing.

Old 03-13-2015 | 08:58 PM
|
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by slicky rick
Conrad, the bass currently produced is really quite clean, no muddiness at all and is very well balanced. I am amazed how it feels like it is able to produce very low frequencies. High volume is now very easy to listen too unlike before were high volumes are very irritating and you just want to turn off the damn thing.
Telling you, the stock 8s are a joke. The conversion is no comparison.

Old 03-14-2015 | 07:33 AM
Then this system will really sound awesome! Makes me wonder why anyone would spend more money on this

Old 03-14-2015 | 09:49 AM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
Makes me wonder why anyone would spend more money on this
Are you suggesting that these budget mods have achieved the same sound quality as a $10k install?

Old 03-14-2015 | 02:06 PM
im saying this budget mod made my system sound good that for a sports car it's basically what I need. Whereas before I could not stand hearing the bose system, now I even turn it up a bit, just to hear the clear solid music.

Old 03-14-2015 | 04:28 PM
Heard those $10k sound systems and I wouldn't pay to get that incremental increase in sound quality most of all loosing the OEM look. Retaining the oem look and getting this kind of sound is what makes this system worth 10k., not to mention being reversible in a very easy way.

Old 03-15-2015 | 10:16 AM
|
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
not to mention being reversible in a very easy way.
I pulled the entire system out of my 2008, traded the car in, and dropped the whole thing into my current 2011.

For those wondering, the amp and system in the .2 is better than the .1 and the budget mods also serve it well. 7000 miles driving time in the current car, plenty of full volume hard rock and no issues with speakers or amps. The Bose amp works perfectly well with the new drivers and delivers PLENTY of volume.

Old 03-16-2015 | 12:49 AM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
I'm glad you're happy with your sound systems. That's what counts.

Old 03-22-2015 | 05:18 PM
|
Hey guys, please note that I've fully updated the first post with the latest suggestions and tricks as a result of a couple years of development. If you think I've left anything out, please let me know. All the important elements should be in the first post.

Old 03-23-2015 | 04:25 AM
Serg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond repute
you forget to say (to my mind) what pcm (2-2.1-3-3.1) and what bose amp (analogue-optic) you have in you car.
will you continue research with cayenne 955-957?

Old 03-23-2015 | 08:50 PM
|
Originally Posted by Serg124
you forget to say (to my mind) what pcm (2-2.1-3-3.1) and what bose amp (analogue-optic) you have in you car.
will you continue research with cayenne 955-957?
Thanks, made a note of it. The whole system was installed in an '08 turbo, then I ripped it out and installed the whole thing into an '11. Not only better interface in the .2 car, but a better Bose amp as well. Sounds really nice. Well broken in after over 5000 miles and no issues whatsoever.

Would love to continue some research with a Cayenne. Care to set me up with one?

Old 03-24-2015 | 09:41 AM
Serg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond reputeSerg124 has a reputation beyond repute
new bose amp plays better for sure.

I can't help you since NY is bit faraway ))) only if I will try it on my car but it wiil not be soon...

what you think about NONbudget upgrade? what speakers it will be to you mind? and where's edges between budget-hifi-notworthitsmoney?

Old 03-25-2015 | 08:58 PM
|
Originally Posted by Serg124
new bose amp plays better for sure.

I can't help you since NY is bit faraway ))) only if I will try it on my car but it wiil not be soon...

what you think about NONbudget upgrade? what speakers it will be to you mind? and where's edges between budget-hifi-notworthitsmoney?
Hey- I've read some of your brilliant PCM upgrade. Perhaps the "budget" upgrade is almost a bit of a misnomer. I swapped in some of the nicer Focal speakers within reason. You could swap in better speakers, but then usually "better" speakers are less efficient, so you would need to swap the amp. If you swap the amp, certainly little need to keep the head unit. If you swap the amp, you need an optical conversion harness costing $600 to use the PCM head unit. You've spent all the money swapping into the new PCM, definitely upgrade those speakers. If you want more, you basically head down a slippery slope, which means rewiring the whole system, adding new amps, speakers, and subwoofer. It's basically the $4000 plus road.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My budget audio install updated 3/22/15