997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

My budget audio install updated 3/22/15

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-15-2015, 08:06 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by skynet
, but... after a couple hours of break-in......

WOW! This is a fabulous upgrade. The quality of the highs is superb, but it is better all around.
Much much much more detail and clarity. And I would not call it bright, just clear and detailed trebles.

The Bose amp powers the Focals to very loud levels and clear, I really doubt a more powerful amplifier would do much, if anything considering the LOUD and C L E A R sound.

Bravo RyeM3!
Thanks for the accolades! And thanks for your contributions to the thread!

No question about it, these speakers need break in. Not only the Focals, but especially the Daytons. They really improve over time, I'm sure you'll notice a continued improvement.

So, yes, more testimony that the Bose amp has enough power to rock the 4ohm Focal speakers. Yes indeed.

My only suggestions are to get the rear fill speakers in, it's worthwhile. Not sure if you caught one of my comments, but the fader effects the subwoofer. I tried the same thing and when the fader is full front, it turns off the subwoofer!

Old 11-17-2015, 10:27 AM
stevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of lightstevepow is a glorious beacon of light
great info guys - thanks - I'll have to put this mod on my RADAR along with upgrading some of the door parts to leather down the road - I don't want to have to mess with the doors more than once!

Old 11-17-2015, 07:10 PM
skynet is infamous around these parts
For installation of the 4" focals in the rears, anybody try re-using the existing Bose mounting plate?

Yes, the opening is too small, but it could be dremeled wider.

Old 11-18-2015, 12:19 AM
Kellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud of
For installation of the 4" focals in the rears, anybody try re-using the existing Bose mounting plate?

I didn't. But I did order some ABS that works fine. Have extras if you wanna make a plate. Could pull mine to use as a template. I basically traced the OEM plate and then used a heat gun to bend a tab so it fits just like the original. Not pretty but can't see it and it works perfectly fine.

Last edited by Kellen; 11-18-2015 at 12:23 AM.
Old 11-18-2015, 07:46 AM
Banned
semicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond repute

I sourced a used set of non-Bose rears and dremeled them a bit to make it work. Yes you could mod the Bose rears the same way. I chose a different route to preserve my original speakers in case I wanted to return the car to OEM condition prior to resale.

Old 11-18-2015, 10:55 AM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
I found the factory rear mounting plates too flimsy; the focals are much heavier than the stock speakers. I agree, it is also good to retain the stock setup. What if you upgrade to a turbo ;-) .

Old 11-18-2015, 11:41 AM
skynet is infamous around these parts
I gave up on keeping stock setup, too much of a hassle. The Bose drivers are in the landfill by now.

If I upgrade to a Turbo I won't be worrying about it. Although it might be nice to be able to keep the focal drivers.

Old 01-11-2016, 11:18 PM
Ktrainman is infamous around these parts
Awesome thread, I am in the process of doing this upgrade. Had a question.
Had a question about he 4 inch coaxials used in the door and rear.?
1. I'm seeing both the 100 CVX or ICS 100 recommended. Which is better? The first post indicates the 100 CVX. Later posts state ICS 100. It definitely is cheaper at 200 for two sets vs 340 plus looks like it uses the same TNI 1.5 tweeter as the IS 200?
2. Did anyone find going to 4" Focal coaxials from the 4" Bose mid in the front door added too much treble? I'm wondering if getting the IS 100 for the front door and only using the 4 inch drivers might yield more balance and stick more closely to the OEM setup.
3. How did you guys strip the tweeter bare?

Thanks!

Last edited by Ktrainman; 01-11-2016 at 11:21 PM.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:35 PM
Kellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Ktrainman
Awesome thread, I am in the process of doing this upgrade. Had a question.
Had a question about he 4 inch coaxials used in the door and rear.?
1. I'm seeing both the 100 CVX or ICS 100 recommended. Which is better? The first post indicates the 100 CVX. Later posts state ICS 100. It definitely is cheaper at 200 for two sets vs 340 plus looks like it uses the same TNI 1.5 tweeter as the IS 200?
2. Did anyone find going to 4" Focal coaxials from the 4" Bose mid in the front door added too much treble? I'm wondering if getting the IS 100 for the front door and only using the 4 inch drivers might yield more balance and stick more closely to the OEM setup.
3. How did you guys strip the tweeter bare?

Thanks!
I used the integration series. No complaints here. No issue with treble. Also did the 8" doors as well. Sounds good to me.

I stripped them using wire cutters. First one takes 15-20 min. Just go slow and you will see where it comes apart. Second one takes 5 min.

I reused the in door subs as a spacer. No issues for me and others but some have said the door cover doesn't go back on all the way but mines flush.

Let me know if you have any questions or need anything. I took install pics, but it's well documented here.

I would recommend doing the center speaker. Just did mine today. Improved immensely.

Last edited by Kellen; 01-12-2016 at 12:10 AM.
Old 01-11-2016, 11:52 PM
Thx for reply, sounds like you chose the IS 100 for the fronts?

Old 01-12-2016, 12:08 AM
Originally Posted by Ktrainman
Thx for reply, sounds like you chose the IS 100 for the fronts?
Just looked back on my receipt. Used the ic100 x2 for front and rear with the is200 for the 8" and tweeters. Then bought a set of integration tweeters to share. It's been a while.

Old 01-12-2016, 09:22 AM
You used the integration coaxial for the front, not the integration 4" components correct?

Old 01-12-2016, 09:23 AM
Sorry didn't see your reply.
I'm going to swap my 100 CVX for some integrations. Makes sense to have all the tweeters be the same/from the same line.

Old 01-13-2016, 03:41 PM
Dennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to beholdDennis C is a splendid one to behold
That's a nice budget audio install [sic].

Focal makes excellent speakers and I also used them in my upgraded component installation.

Old 01-13-2016, 06:28 PM
amstang66 is infamous around these parts
do the 8 inch fit in all 997's. I am about to embark down this path and was considering the Focal 3 way component set. 165 AS3 (6.5 woofer, 3 inch mid, 1 in tweeter.
Thoughts

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My budget audio install updated 3/22/15