997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

My budget audio install updated 3/22/15

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 01-14-2016, 09:01 AM
nwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond reputenwGTS has a reputation beyond repute
I have a single Focal tweeter left from my install if anyone wants it. Brand spanking new. Just PM me and we'll work something out.

Old 01-16-2016, 07:37 AM
Kellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by amstang66
do the 8 inch fit in all 997's. I am about to embark down this path and was considering the Focal 3 way component set. 165 AS3 (6.5 woofer, 3 inch mid, 1 in tweeter.
Thoughts
Yes. Original poster in this thread initially used a 6.5" but replaced with an 8" due to lack of bass. I would stick with an 8". I did and am extremely happy with the swap!

Old 01-17-2016, 06:28 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by amstang66
do the 8 inch fit in all 997's. I am about to embark down this path and was considering the Focal 3 way component set. 165 AS3 (6.5 woofer, 3 inch mid, 1 in tweeter.
Thoughts
I installed the 6.5s first and they sounded pretty good. Then I switched to the 8s and was amazed how much more bass they gave the system. I don't recommend going with the 6.5s.
So glad people are having success with the install! Using coaxes in the doors does not create too much high frequency energy, they sound totally perfect.

Glad people have done the center tweeter install and are enjoying the sound.

Old 04-16-2016, 08:24 PM
koenbro is infamous around these parts
Long time lurker here. Like you all, I was sick of the stock sound, and after reading this thread from beginning to end, I started my own upgrade. Have successfully done the doors with a pair each of Focal IC100 and IS200.

The 4" IC100 drops in effortlessly in the door panel.

For the 8" woofer I made a spacer from 3/4" MDF. Was thinking for a while of buying a router and this project gave me the perfect justification to get a Bosch 1617 EVSK, which is a fine piece of equipment in its own right.

The MDF spacer is crude (first ever woodworking project!) but does the job.

After doing the doors, I disconnected the center front and pulled the front tweeters, in preparation of replacing them.

And wow, just with the doors done, the sound is already very impressive! Before it almost seemed like the sound (muffled and tinny as it was) only came from the center front. Now it is rich, spatially enveloping, with deeps and high like I've never heard before in the car.

I am struggling though with two issues, and I hope somebody would help me. The tweeters I intend to put in the dash, have a blue and a black wire; which is positive and which negative? The car wires are striped vs solid, so I assume the striped is negative.

The second problem is the rear panel. I bought a 12" ABS sheet from Crutchfield, and made an insert but the grill touches the center tweeter, so I have to place the speaker behind the panel.

The grille won't close because the tweeter interferes.

Anyone has any creative suggestions on how to attach the rear speaker behind the panel? (yes I read the whole thread). Many thanks.

And finally, thank you ryem3 and all others for showing that this is possible, as without you, I truly would have never started.

Last edited by koenbro; 04-16-2016 at 08:29 PM.
Old 04-16-2016, 09:15 PM
Kellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud ofKellen has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by koenbro
I am struggling though with two issues, and I hope somebody would help me. The tweeters I intend to put in the dash, have a blue and a black wire; which is positive and which negative? The car wires are striped vs solid, so I assume the striped is negative.

The second problem is the rear panel. I bought a 12" ABS sheet from Crutchfield, and made an insert but the grill touches the center tweeter, so I have to place the speaker behind the panel.
Here is the specs for wiring I followed link. Seems the one with stripe is the negative.

As fars as the rear panel, can you put some shims or spacers to make the mounting plate with the speaker be a little deeper? Could use some foam tape to seal if preferred but prob not necessary.

Old 04-17-2016, 07:05 AM
Banned
semicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond repute
Yup, put some spacers on the speaker mounts. There is plenty of space behind the rear surrounds so recessing the speaker to clear the grille works fine. This also allows you to properly mount the assembly from the front. Also rotate the tweeter to point towards the front passengers.

The Focal directions have the wiring polarity for their speakers. The stripped wire is positive on the dash tweeters (page 3).

Old 04-18-2016, 08:17 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by koenbro
The grille won't close because the tweeter interferes.

Anyone has any creative suggestions on how to attach the rear speaker behind the panel? (yes I read the whole thread). Many thanks.

And finally, thank you ryem3 and all others for showing that this is possible, as without you, I truly would have never started.
Thanks very much! Excellent job on the install!

I posted positive and negative colors for the wires somewhere on the thread! Actually thought I brought that info up to the first post.

Not sure what's going on with your back panel - looks great, btw! I feel like I made my hole for the driver a bit smaller, thereby mounting more of the speaker spacer onto the panel. Be sure you have relieved enough of the sides so that the grills can snap back in. I've found this is not quite perfect. The first time, I actually removed the rear panels and attached the speaker panel to the back. HOWEVER, removing the rear panels is a REAL pain. You need to remove the B pillar, the seat belt, etc. It is quite involved. Take a pic of the rear fit into the car if you have a chance.

Great job!

Old 04-26-2016, 08:41 PM
rrodmanr is infamous around these parts
991 Bose Speaker Wiring Polarity

Hi Guys,
Attempting a DIY speaker upgrade to my Bose system on my 2012 991 C2S Cabriolet.
Thanks to RyeM3 and all posters for the tips and comments.
Decided to go with Focal Iss200 with Custom Seas 4" mid ranges for front doors. Rear speakers will be Focal Isn 100. Center replaced with Dayton reference 3" full range.
Will post my install, but have a question on speaker polarity of the Bose Wiring.
When I cut the Bose connectors from original Bose speakers,from the threads and posts, it seems like the striped wire at each speaker location is the negative. The solid wire postitve.

Can anyone please confirm?
Thanks in advance.

Also looking for any feedback on rear side panel removal to install rear speakers.
My car is a 2012 991C2S Cabriolet.

Old 04-28-2016, 12:58 AM
y2kgixxer is infamous around these parts
I just bought Ryem3 set up and i wanted to see if anyone has a template for the 8" woofers up front. Thanks

Old 04-29-2016, 07:10 AM
Originally Posted by y2kgixxer
I just bought Ryem3 set up and i wanted to see if anyone has a template for the 8" woofers up front. Thanks
I got mine from the guys at Al & Ed's in Marina del Ray. Hopefully less than the $70 they charged me.

Old 04-29-2016, 07:17 AM
Originally Posted by rrodmanr
Hi Guys,
Attempting a DIY speaker upgrade to my Bose system on my 2012 991 C2S Cabriolet.
Thanks to RyeM3 and all posters for the tips and comments.
Decided to go with Focal Iss200 with Custom Seas 4" mid ranges for front doors. Rear speakers will be Focal Isn 100. Center replaced with Dayton reference 3" full range.
Will post my install, but have a question on speaker polarity of the Bose Wiring.
When I cut the Bose connectors from original Bose speakers,from the threads and posts, it seems like the striped wire at each speaker location is the negative. The solid wire postitve.

Can anyone please confirm?
Thanks in advance.

Also looking for any feedback on rear side panel removal to install rear speakers.
My car is a 2012 991C2S Cabriolet.
Sorry, haven't had a chance to move up the clarification of polarity to the first post, but the answer is buried in the thread.
You can get details on removing the rear panel on rennlist for installation of seat belts. However, as I recommend, don't remove the rear panels. See my suggestions on the first post.
Good luck to all and post your reviews and feedback when you're done!

Old 04-29-2016, 08:30 AM
Ryem3 thanks for your reply. i had one more question that i, either read it wrong or just been working way too many hours. for the front mids (ic100) did you remove the tweeters? or do i have to buy a set for the dash? thanks again and sorry for my brain fart

Old 04-29-2016, 08:39 PM
Ryem3 thanks for your reply. i had one more question that i, either read it wrong or just been working way too many hours. for the front mids (ic100) did you remove the tweeters? or do i have to buy a set for the dash? thanks again and sorry for my brain fart
Most people buy the 8" component (separate tweeter/speaker) sets, put the 8's in the doors and the tweeters in the front dash on both sides. Then buy 2 sets of coaxial (tweeter/speaker in one) for the doors and rear. For the center speaker they either disconnect or replace with one of the tweeters which are sold in a set. I split a kit with a fellow 6speedonliner.

Old 04-29-2016, 08:40 PM
I reused the baskets that the 8" woofers came in. Removed the back of the housing so the new woofers would fit. Worked perfect and didn't cost me anything.

The write up is a couple pages back.

Old 04-30-2016, 02:01 AM
Keller, thanks for your answers. I did read that the old speaker mounst we re-used and just purchased a pair of tweeters.. so if anyone here wants one. Let me know. Hopefully i'll install this week. Thank you to all

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: My budget audio install updated 3/22/15