997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Has anybody actually successfully installed a jbl ms 8

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2014, 06:18 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by porschelady
we recently replaced the receiver (oem bose premium sound/don't recall receiver mfgr) with an alpine receiver/nav/ipod/bt setup in an '08 C4. I didn't do it myself but as i recall the shop had hell getting it to work so nav unit only worked when the vehicle was stopped. (shop policy). Anyway, the alpine unit puts out much better sound to my ears. i can hear it when on chip-seal pavement but could not with OEM. I know nothing about radio installation but they had to have some part re-flashed to work in a porsche. The sound is crisper and louder than the OEM by far.
If you're running the system with the stock speakers, you're missing out on a lot. I've never heard a replaced head unit with the stock speakers. Don't know how they sound, but replacing the Bose drivers provides a huge improvement.

Old 02-15-2014, 06:12 AM
porschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really niceporschelady is just really nice
Still using the stock speakers but it sounds fine to me. However, I'm no connoisseur after 4 years of rifle fire and jet engines in USMC 40 years ago. I just need volume.

Old 04-14-2014, 09:20 PM
porschemama is infamous around these partsporschemama is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ryem3
Oh, you can't just connect it before the amp because the Bose amp is fed from a fiber optic connection. If you want to connect an amp to the factory pcm you need a fiber optic connector, which will cost you a whopping $600.
Hi ryem3, I came across your post while researching MOST systems. I'm leaving the stock PCM for now until I figure out when to do the major overhaul. I'm debating whether to run the stock amp to jbl sub, or tie in an aftermarket amp with eq in order to control the sub settings from the cabin... but to do so would require as you said, a connector. Have you used or familiar with XD-CLRAIC2-SW? Apparently this is only made for jbl to connect to most bus. Looks like plug and play?

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	speakerwire.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	135.5 KB
ID:	359979  

Last edited by porschemama; 04-14-2014 at 09:22 PM.
Old 04-15-2014, 03:16 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by porschelady
we recently replaced the receiver (oem bose premium sound/don't recall receiver mfgr) with an alpine receiver/nav/ipod/bt setup in an '08 C4. I didn't do it myself but as i recall the shop had hell getting it to work so nav unit only worked when the vehicle was stopped. (shop policy). Anyway, the alpine unit puts out much better sound to my ears. i can hear it when on chip-seal pavement but could not with OEM. I know nothing about radio installation but they had to have some part re-flashed to work in a porsche. The sound is crisper and louder than the OEM by far.

What's the point to a Nav unit that can't be addressed when the car is running ? Is that a state law where you are ?

Old 04-15-2014, 08:02 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by porschemama

Hi ryem3, I came across your post while researching MOST systems. I'm leaving the stock PCM for now until I figure out when to do the major overhaul. I'm debating whether to run the stock amp to jbl sub, or tie in an aftermarket amp with eq in order to control the sub settings from the cabin... but to do so would require as you said, a connector. Have you used or familiar with XD-CLRAIC2-SW? Apparently this is only made for jbl to connect to most bus. Looks like plug and play?
No idea, haven't heard of that one. How much is it? After swapping out the speakers I can tell you that spending money on an amp set up would be largely a waste of money, unless you really go all out with some really nice drivers. The stock amp can drive to some really high volumes.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:18 AM
porschemama is infamous around these partsporschemama is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by ryem3
No idea, haven't heard of that one. How much is it? After swapping out the speakers I can tell you that spending money on an amp set up would be largely a waste of money, unless you really go all out with some really nice drivers. The stock amp can drive to some really high volumes.
Inexpensive http://www.crutchfield.com/S-4gIzujC...LRAIC2-SW.html

I talked to their tech support who deemed these are not plug and play. I'll have to play with one end to connect with the amp. The reviews are meh but I thought it would be a good option since it has lower resistance than the old school connectors.

Old 04-16-2014, 06:51 PM
Originally Posted by porschemama

This is just a speaker out connection. It's a far cry from a proper pre amp connector.

Old 04-16-2014, 07:37 PM
I know