997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Engine Replacement / Scored Cylinder

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-09-2013, 06:17 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by joee76
I would love to buy a new one but I'll wait for someone to take a hit on the depreciation after the first 4 years

I too, love my combo (Carrera White with Terracotta interior). It's such a rare combo and if I were to move to another car, it'd be pretty..generic.

I think I'm just going to drive it and enjoy it, like I have been. The only thing that I'm not thrilled about is that the engine only has warranty until the end of my CPO. Terrible.
So based on your experience with the first engine the new one is good for at least 69000 miles right, warranty or no. What's to worry about ? Drive it 'till the new engine dies then decide.

Old 10-09-2013, 06:33 PM
joee76 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Dadio
So based on your experience with the first engine the new one is good for at least 69000 miles right, warranty or no. What's to worry about ? Drive it 'till the new engine dies then decide.
it had 69,000 kms, but ya, I'm just going to enjoy it. I'll be honest, I held back driving it more because the 70,000 (mental barrier) was so close haha

Old 10-09-2013, 06:37 PM
myw
myw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to behold
im curious to know what teh cdn $ tab was directly from a the dealer from a new crate engine.

Originally Posted by joee76
it had 69,000 kms, but ya, I'm just going to enjoy it. I'll be honest, I held back driving it more because the 70,000 (mental barrier) was so close haha

milage is less then 45000 miles until engine failure ... i consider that next to new (milage wise)

Old 10-12-2013, 08:15 AM
joee76 is infamous around these parts
So, Porsche is giving me a hard time now because I didn't do my oil change at the dealer. I have a receipt and all and they are telling me that it's not good enough.

Long story short:

I went to my mechanic of 20 years with OEM filter and 9L of 0w40. He invoiced me for the labor and now they are saying it's not good enough.

My SA went on to tell me that the service recorder (?) shows my oil wasn't changed since 600 days...which is when I bought my CPO car. She went on to make a comment (more like accusation) of me generating invoices. The fact is, my oil was changed within the recommended guidelines, with invoice (Date/VIN/Mileage). THis service recorded should be a non issue anyways as far as i'm concerned. I have an actual receipt for oil change. My mechanic didn't 'reset' the service indicator from what I gathered. But regardless, this service recorder point isn't even a valid argument imo.

My SA tells me to go back to my mechanic to amend the receipt to show a more detailed description of the servicing including the filter part number and oil used with qty. So, I presented them with this amended version, as per their request. She replies back that it's not good enough. I presented to her the receipt she wanted and it's still not good enough ! You got to be kidding me.

Do any of you know what it is that has to be on this record to show them that the oil change was done ?

What's next ? Lawsuit ? This is ridiculous.

My receipt indicates the date/mileage/VIN/service rendered/oil used/qty oil. WTH ?

Old 10-12-2013, 10:54 AM
myw
myw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to beholdmyw is a splendid one to behold
does anyone know where this 'service reset button' is on our cars?

why was the amended invoice with the more detailed info not good enough? that is exactly what they are looking for no?

Old 10-12-2013, 02:33 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by myw
does anyone know where this 'service reset button' is on our cars?

why was the amended invoice with the more detailed info not good enough? that is exactly what they are looking for no?

No button. Dealer resets it with the PIWIS. Otherwise it can be done with a Duametric tool . Not sure if other OBDII tools can do it.

Old 10-12-2013, 04:11 PM
too tall is infamous around these parts
No button. Dealer resets it with the PIWIS. Otherwise it can be done with a Duametric tool . Not sure if other OBDII tools can do it.
This is interesting. I just got a CPO car and planned to do oil changes myself.

Old 10-12-2013, 04:40 PM
myw
thank you dadio.

it sounds like the dealer is using every loophole they can to avoid replacing the engine.

joee76 cannot be the only cpo with warranty car thats out there that does oil changes outside of the dealer. the dealer must have seen many cars that may not have had the service button reset (due to lack of tools as mentioned), that have had legitimate servicing performed (in this case, basic oil changes).

Old 10-12-2013, 04:41 PM
myw
keep ALL receipts, whether it be oil purchases as well as oil filter. take a few photos (dated) if necessary.

Originally Posted by too tall
This is interesting. I just got a CPO car and planned to do oil changes myself.

Old 10-12-2013, 07:34 PM
Robocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really nice
I take pictures of the odometer and the process to include the OEM parts I used. Also, in Florida they can't void the warranty if you serviced your car somewhere else, as long as it was done correctly. This may also apply to the rest of the states. Good luck!

Old 10-17-2013, 10:40 AM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
So, are they suggesting that since you had an oil change performed at a non-dealer, this somehow caused the scoring of cylinder #6? What would the dealer have done differently during the oil change that would have prevented this from happening? Otherwise, is there a provision in the CPO warranty that voids the warranty if you don't get oil changes at a dealership?

Old 10-17-2013, 02:26 PM
myw
im pretty sure oil changes can be done anywhere and not void warranty across most cars. its just a matter of proving the service was done.

reasonably detailed,

-oil purchase receipt
-oil filter purchase receipt
-labor receipt

should be sufficient imo.

Originally Posted by Robocop305
I take pictures of the odometer and the process to include the OEM parts I used. Also, in Florida they can't void the warranty if you serviced your car somewhere else, as long as it was done correctly. This may also apply to the rest of the states. Good luck!
no legal provision as its never stated anywhere that warranty is void if basic services *oil changes* done outside of porsche; however im sure doing all the work at the dealer will make warranty claim approvals go smoother/quicker.

Originally Posted by gasongasoff
So, are they suggesting that since you had an oil change performed at a non-dealer, this somehow caused the scoring of cylinder #6? What would the dealer have done differently during the oil change that would have prevented this from happening? Otherwise, is there a provision in the CPO warranty that voids the warranty if you don't get oil changes at a dealership?

Last edited by myw; 10-17-2013 at 02:28 PM.
Old 10-17-2013, 04:33 PM
911nojoke has a spectacular aura about911nojoke has a spectacular aura about911nojoke has a spectacular aura about
i feel like i'm missing something here. the car is under CPO warranty? Did you do something to upset the dealership cuz it seems like they are making this painful for you...the dealership should be more than happy to perform the work because they get reimbursed by Factory, correct?

Old 10-28-2013, 12:33 PM
myw
as an update for my brother joee's car he just drove it over with the new engine. car is running fine now.

in short he got a little bit of the runaround but ultimately provided full paperwork for

- purchase of oil - only a40 approved stuff, motul excess/castrol edge syntec/mobil 1
- purchase of oem oil filter - from suncoast
- labour performed by indy mechanic referencing the above 2 items used re performing oil change.

and then had the replacement engine approved under warranty immediately.

for the DIY guys re engine oil changes, i would ask the dealership what kind of proof is required re oil changes to make sure warranty claims wont be voided under CPO.

we filled up the tires with some more air (getting cold here) and went for a little spin.

shes back to life again! congrats joee.

Originally Posted by 911nojoke
i feel like i'm missing something here. the car is under CPO warranty? Did you do something to upset the dealership cuz it seems like they are making this painful for you...the dealership should be more than happy to perform the work because they get reimbursed by Factory, correct?
also, unfortunately the service advisory at our local dealership doesn't know what shes doing, whether its not taking the care to make feel clients like they're taken care of when it comes to serious issues like this... or even the technical basics; ie. she flat out denied that 997s can ever suffer from ims related issues and that it plagues 996 only.

Last edited by myw; 10-28-2013 at 12:39 PM.
Old 10-28-2013, 07:36 PM
911nojoke has a spectacular aura about911nojoke has a spectacular aura about911nojoke has a spectacular aura about
glad it worked out. not worth the hassle with that dealership, i personally would bid them good riddance.