997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Please Help - Check Front Right Side Light

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-05-2013, 04:09 PM
CayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really nice
Please Help - Check Front Right Side Light

I installed Rottec style DRLs about a year ago and recently got a check front right side light error on my dash. I thought it needed a resistor so I installed one and still got the error. Here is where it is really weird, I put the stock lights back on and am still getting the error so obviously something is wrong with the car itself. This is for the parking light btw.

It's strange how it happens. It works fine when you first turn on the car and then after driving for about 20 minutes the dash light goes on. What is even weirder is that if I turn on the car and the lights but don't drive it (just leave it parked) the dash light won't turn on. I just left it for 45 minutes and nothing happened. But then, thinking it was finally fixed, I took the car around the block and sure enough within a ouple of minutes it went off.

Any advice would be really appreciated. Is there a little sensor or computer or something that controls this, etc.

Thanks!

Old 10-06-2013, 09:43 PM
RaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of light
Same thing happens to me. Only when the lights are on. I have the light switch hack for the DRL to stay on as well. Bugs the hell out of me. Seems to only go on after a few minutes of driving AND a bump or two on the road. Spoke to ROTech about it and they don't have an answer either. I have just dealt with and when the error comes up I just hit the stalk and left the idiot light stay on....it comes off and on during my drive. I don't drive too much at night so it hasn't been too much of an issue.

Keep me posted with your efforts.

Old 10-07-2013, 07:42 PM
CayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really niceCayenneS2083 is just really nice
Originally Posted by RaidersR1
Same thing happens to me. Only when the lights are on. I have the light switch hack for the DRL to stay on as well. Bugs the hell out of me. Seems to only go on after a few minutes of driving AND a bump or two on the road. Spoke to ROTech about it and they don't have an answer either. I have just dealt with and when the error comes up I just hit the stalk and left the idiot light stay on....it comes off and on during my drive. I don't drive too much at night so it hasn't been too much of an issue.

Keep me posted with your efforts.
Does yours happen with the stock lights or just with the DRLs installed?

Old 10-07-2013, 07:46 PM
RaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of light
Once I put the DRL lights in...never put the stock ones back. So I can't answer that. As mentioned....I just deal with the error.

Old 10-09-2013, 07:09 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Have you checked for codes ? Have you tried detaching the negative battery terminal for a few minutes and then reattaching ? Sometimes this re-boot can clear up odd computer sensor related issues. If the LED's caused the error the computer may not recognize that they have been removed and is continuing to display the error as if they were still connected.

Old 10-10-2013, 08:26 AM
I did disconnect the battery terminal and still getting the same thing. After about 20 minutes of driving the dash light turns on.

I also noticed that when the dash light turns on the parking light itself turns off. Does anyone kjnow if the car normally cuts power to the light when it thinks a bulb is out?

Also, I have access to another 997.1 in the family. Would it be possible for me to swap the front control module to see if that is the problem or does it need to be specifically programmed for the car.

Thanks for the help

Old 10-10-2013, 09:58 AM
JoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond reputeJoelPirela has a reputation beyond repute
Are you sure is not from the side markers and not the RoTec LED's on the bumper?
I changed my side markers with cheap LEDs and I got the same error after a year...

Old 10-10-2013, 10:06 AM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
for what it s worth, I had this happen on a different brand car once and I had a bulb that was not making a good enough connection even though it was lit... any bad ground or loose bulb would cause this issue.

Old 10-10-2013, 11:44 AM
Originally Posted by JoelPirela
Are you sure is not from the side markers and not the RoTec LED's on the bumper?
I changed my side markers with cheap LEDs and I got the same error after a year...
I'll check out the side markers but what's weird is that the actual parking light turns OFF whenever the dash light turns on (after about 20 minutes of driving). And it does this regardless of whether I'm using the DRLs, the DRLs with an added resistor, or the stock lights.

Old 10-10-2013, 02:58 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
do we have license plate lights (maybe in the rear) one or two bulbs????

Old 10-14-2013, 08:42 PM
Ok so I installed a new front control module to see if that is the culprate and its not. Any other possibilities. Its definitely not the lights, I'm pretty sure it's not the connection between the light and the module, and its not the module.

Anyone know how the car's system works for the bulb check? like what parts are involved (any other computers?)

Any help would really be appreciated.

Old 10-15-2013, 07:46 AM
My first thought was to exchange the light that was causing the error with the manufacture. He was open to that, but as time went on I just let it go and let the error come on. Got tired of it and decided to deal with. Props for your efforts.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:31 AM
I know my Benz had this and what the system did was to measure the draw and when it saw less of a draw it knew what bulb was out....I have had an issue with that once and no bulbs were out,,, but one bulb was not seated in the socket right and that caused the signal to be sent to the dash as the draw was different...

Old 10-15-2013, 11:49 AM
Does anyone know how it all works. Like for example what computer is determining that a bulb is out. Is the front control module doing this or is it being done at the dash or is there some other computer between them. I'm just trying to narrow down the possible culprites.