997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997.2 Throttle Lag Off Idle?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 10:25 AM
Wheeler is infamous around these parts
997.2 Throttle Lag Off Idle?

I've had my car a few weeks now, 2009 C2S manual. My car off of dead idle, has a significant lag when you go to first hit the pedal. Like leaving a stop light, trying to finesse away with light throttle and quicker clutch, there are times when I can almost feel it want to bog/die because I've got the the engagement point too quick and the throttle hasn't jumped up...which in turn SOMETIMES (not always) I end up giving it more gas then needed and leaving the light in less than smooth fashion. The whole scenario is accentuated in Sport Mode to the point I don't drive in traffic with Sport Mode because I will fail to finesse it every 5-10 starts and get the hurkey-jerky. Is it the fly-by-wire throttle causing this?? Of course once you're underway or just off of dead idle, the throttle response is instantaneous, almost electric motor, quick and smooth.

Old 10-24-2013, 09:03 PM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
Based on your description, I think the problem is getting your clutch pedal foot and your accelerator pedal foot coordinated. Never noticed any lag in normal mode. I have had a similar situation you describe in sports mode upon take-off (herky jerky). Ususally because I have let the clutch out too quickly with the more sensitive accelerator pedal. I immediately push the clutch back in and start over by letting the clutch out a little slower.

Old 10-25-2013, 01:32 AM
kkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nice
I have also just realized that in sport, though I have a .1 X-51, it is still wire throttle, and with sport engaged it is very hard to be smooth...normal mode no problemo

Old 10-25-2013, 06:11 AM
Well, the post was really not about my clutch work (it's getting better ) but rather an example of what the throttle lag will do in my .2 car.

As responsive as the car is EVERYWHERE else, if I go out and tap the throttle pedal, just a quick blip, there is considerable lag/response time, right of dead idle. That doesn't seem to fit with every other aspect of the car. A buddy of mine mentioned it to when he got in blip the throttle to hear the exhaust. To me it feels completely different and quite noticeable compared to throttle cable cars. It's almost like the factory dumbed it down right off idle to make it easier to drive? For me though it seems to be the only place in the power band where it's NOT linear...rather the lag causes me to give it a little more gas because the rpm's are not up a little more, then it decides to respond and now I've over throttled a tad...and the milf in the mini van next to me rolls her eyes as she rockets past me, kids laughing, dropping french fries out window. It's really sad.

Old 10-26-2013, 01:01 PM
PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !PTParks Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Wheeler
...and the milf in the mini van next to me rolls her eyes as she rockets past me, kids laughing, dropping french fries out window. It's really sad.
Now that's funny!

But, I don't experience any sort of noticeable lag revving the car in neutral...and I have probably pissed off a neighbor or two doing it!

Old 10-26-2013, 04:01 PM
drsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant futuredrsullivan has a brilliant future
They performing a throttle reset.

Old 10-27-2013, 06:17 AM
Originally Posted by drsullivan
They performing a throttle reset.
What's that???

I wondered if there wasn't some kind of "learned parameters" on the ECU like there are on other cars?

Old 10-27-2013, 10:05 AM
dethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud ofdethman has much to be proud of
I have a 997.2 pdk and not a manual but notice throttle lag in 1st gear in normal mode. It annoys me so i always use sport mode where the is no lag.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:15 AM
Mankini is infamous around these parts
Sounds a bit like the MAF sensor, had the same symptoms as yours but corrected when replaced the MAF.

Old 10-28-2013, 12:45 AM
CBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Wheeler
What's that??? I wondered if there wasn't some kind of "learned parameters" on the ECU like there are on other cars?
Haha milfs are my downfall too. Throttle Reset instructions in this post:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...d.php?t=315298

Old 10-28-2013, 09:40 AM
Dirt Rider is infamous around these parts

Last edited by Dirt Rider; 10-28-2013 at 09:48 AM.
Old 10-28-2013, 10:01 AM
Originally Posted by CBADtt
Haha milfs are my downfall too. Throttle Reset instructions in this post:
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...d.php?t=315298
Cool. I'll give it a shot and report back!

Wondering if a full disconnect on the battery might not be a bad idea? The PSE is not factory nor is the x pipe obviously. Wondering if maybe the system was ever reset upon install.

Old 10-28-2013, 10:11 AM
CBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant futureCBADtt has a brilliant future
I think as long as you disconnect the negative cable, you are completely disconnected. When we installed my IPD throttle bodly and plenum, we did the throttle reset procedure. You can here the throttle moving. I think it's required so that the ecu can learn the entire spectrum of throttle positions.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:46 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
09, 6 spd , never noticed the symptoms you mention.

Did the reset just for kicks as I didn t realize that.

Old 10-28-2013, 05:47 PM
Followed the instructions from the other post and it's noticeably better!! Seems to jump up in rpm quicker right off the bottom and no bog/lag. Just popping the dead pedal shows it's not lagging as much. The throttle in normal mode seems more responsive when driving as well. Sport is...well...sporty as usual.

Turn ignition to on (switch position 1) for 60 seconds then off (switch position 3) for 5 seconds then back to switch position 1 (ignition on) for 15 seconds - during process you do not turn the switch to position 2 (start engine). After the last 15 second step key is returned to position 3. Here are the starter switch position steps: 1-3-1-3.

I did lift the engine hatch to see if I could hear it doing anything. The first time I did it I was sitting in the driver seat and THOUGHT I heard something (but it also could have been my neighbor, so I scowled at him and stared him down as the garage door descended). Then I put the window down and did the procedure through the window so I could go back to the engine area and hear it. Sure enough about 25 seconds in I did hear the throttle body move around for a few seconds. For the record I did all of this on a total cold car.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997.2 Throttle Lag Off Idle?