997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Mechanic's 230 mile joy ride..

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:11 PM
silver329 is a jewel in the roughsilver329 is a jewel in the roughsilver329 is a jewel in the roughsilver329 is a jewel in the rough
Wow this really boils my blood. Once that trust is broken, it's almost impossible to gain it back. What's the name of the shop OP?

Old 11-13-2013, 01:18 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Vladm
So I took my P-car for ignition coil replacements. Picked it up and noticed long blond hair on the passenger floor, 1/4 tank less gas and finally after checking the milege the owner of the indy shop admitted that one of his mechanics took the car home and drove it all weekend- 230 miles!!

I had the car inspected at a local Porsche dealership- sure thing over-rev stage 1 and 2. So far no signs of damage.

What would you do at this point?
I'm assuming this was a shop near you in Novi area? I would have been more than happy to service it for you - I own a BOSCH authorized repair facility.

Old 11-13-2013, 01:35 PM
cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !cerbomark Is a GOD !
Do you guys have ez pass(toll collection device)or similar??... you can look on your account and see where the car went.. I once had a MB dealer take my ez pass and use it for the very expensive bridge tolls near NYC while my car was at the shop.
I stood at the front desk in front of all the customers and when they started to deny they used the pass I told them that the police are on the way to make a theft report. They promptly wrote me a check for all the tolls THEY incurred. Not enough miles on my car so I know they didn t use the car but the pass only... what crooks.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:09 PM
Banned
JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !JB in AR Is a GOD !
Review the crap out of them on Yelp! and Angie's list!

Did they fire the joyrider???

Old 11-13-2013, 02:22 PM
cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !
i make them print "no test drives" on the work order and i go and wait for the work to be done.
fu ck stealerships its not enough they charge 10 x the actual cost for stuff,
they have to joy ride your baby within an inch of its life too?. id get that guy fired.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:02 PM
MMK110464 is infamous around these parts
As you said, its done, I am moving on.
Sorry to say this, but although you might be moving on now, in the future when you decide to sell your car those over revs will cost you time and money.

Just search this forum and the other one and you will find many potential buyers who walked away from very nice P-cars because of the over revs.

This is proof that this indy did tangible damage to your car. The amount of the damage is how much you will have to lower the price of your car to convince the potencial buyer to go ahead with the purchase after he finds out about the over revs during the PPI and wants to cancel the transaction.

I would say about 3k-5k.

Just my 0.2

Old 11-13-2013, 07:19 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
The whole over rev issue is overblown. Read the article in this months Excellence and you'll feel much better. Range 1 and 2 won't impact resale.

Old 11-13-2013, 09:28 PM
Vladm has a spectacular aura aboutVladm has a spectacular aura aboutVladm has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by jhbrennan
The whole over rev issue is overblown. Read the article in this months Excellence and you'll feel much better. Range 1 and 2 won't impact resale.

Oh In know, but just tells me they had fun with my baby.. GRRR

Old 11-13-2013, 09:29 PM
Vladm has a spectacular aura aboutVladm has a spectacular aura aboutVladm has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by XLR82XS
I'm assuming this was a shop near you in Novi area? I would have been more than happy to service it for you - I own a BOSCH authorized repair facility.

Where is your shop?

Old 11-14-2013, 11:07 AM
texas355 has a spectacular aura abouttexas355 has a spectacular aura abouttexas355 has a spectacular aura about
sucks. some mechanic in houston took a f40 for a spin and wrecked it a few years ago.
= /

Old 11-14-2013, 12:16 PM
daberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to behold
I wish I could remember where I saved the article from the Washington Post Newspaper maybe 18 or so years ago. The article was really well written and cringe worthy to any car fanatic. The title was also classic: 'Man has brush with the Devil'.

The essence of the story was an older vet who had served in both Korea and Vietnam and survived both without a scratch was driving to church around mid day and got into a car accident for the first time in 20 years. He said, 'I sure made up for it at once'. Turns out he hit a car broadside that had failed to stop at a stop sign. He was driving a beat up Acura Legend. The car he hit? A Lamborghini Diablo being driven by a service tech who had just installed a thermostat and stated 'the car required a test drive'. The damage was extensive - estimates were in excess of $100,000. The writer did his best to get statements from the car dealer, the insurance company, the car's owner, etc. All were emphatic 'no comment'. Couldn't imagine being that owner coming to pick up your car and hearing this news!

On a side note - when I was in college, I had a job in Boston moonlighting as a valet. The WORST cars to valet were Porsche 911's. The owners were all super **** retentive but more importantly were also the WORST tippers. I will make no statements about what I used to do to those 911's, but safe to say, I try and avoid using valets as much as possible :-).

Old 11-14-2013, 01:24 PM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Where is your shop?
PM sent

Old 11-14-2013, 01:48 PM
italdream is infamous around these parts
Oh In know, but just tells me they had fun with my baby.. GRRR
Terrible. It shouldn't happen. For the over-rev in 1 and 2 range, I agree that it is no biggie but if you had zero over-revs, you are going to feel the difference psychologically.

Sounds like a joy ride to show the blond girl around. I am going to sound crass but perhaps they should now let you have a ride with the blond girl. I feel sorry for you.

Old 11-14-2013, 03:59 PM
Robocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really niceRobocop305 is just really nice
you are right. He should at least left the blonde in the car.

Old 11-14-2013, 04:04 PM
cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !cuemaster Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by XLR82XS
PM sent
vouch^

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Mechanic's 230 mile joy ride..