997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Mechanic's 230 mile joy ride..

Search this Thread

Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Old 11-14-2013, 05:57 PM
Gotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to allGotnem108 is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Robocop305
you are right. He should at least left the blonde in the car.
No one know for sure if the was hot or not.

Old 11-14-2013, 06:06 PM
f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !f1crazydriver Is a GOD !
I read your thread earlier this week before I took my car for service at a Porsche dealership here in the Bay Area.

It reminded me why I always take a picture of the odometer and fuel gauge before i take my car for service. Long story short, I did the same as I always do. Drop off car, snap a picture of fuel/odometer.

I pick up the car next day. Snap a picture of fuel and odometer. I get home and I noticed 23 miles were added to my Gt3 and OVER 1/4 of fuel burnt.

I was furious, i sent the Service Manager a picture of BEFORE/AFTER to his email.

I awaited for a response this morning and nothing. I called the Service manager- he said he has not checked his email. I asked him to check it. He asked me why i was calling- i told him why. He played it off saying it is normal (yada yada yada). I told him- we are obviously on a difference page- and we said goodbye. I emailed the director of service for the dealership- no response.

I called PNA- they emailed me earlier. Note to self. NEVER EVER go back to Rector Porsche. Stick to the dealership that has worked in the past.

Old 11-14-2013, 10:17 PM
RaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of light
Why wait till you got home? Did you use your phone? Your before pic would be right there showing what it was when you dropped it off. Then you don't get the brush off on the phone and then demand satisfaction. Once you leave...kind of leaves you open for question. Hope you get a response.

I use Fister in Brentwood. Not only is he my neighbor, but does great HONEST work!!

No stealer for me.

Old 11-15-2013, 09:23 AM
Tcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to beholdTcc1999 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by daberlin
I wish I could remember where I saved the article from the Washington Post Newspaper maybe 18 or so years ago. The article was really well written and cringe worthy to any car fanatic. The title was also classic: 'Man has brush with the Devil'.

The essence of the story was an older vet who had served in both Korea and Vietnam and survived both without a scratch was driving to church around mid day and got into a car accident for the first time in 20 years. He said, 'I sure made up for it at once'. Turns out he hit a car broadside that had failed to stop at a stop sign. He was driving a beat up Acura Legend. The car he hit? A Lamborghini Diablo being driven by a service tech who had just installed a thermostat and stated 'the car required a test drive'. The damage was extensive - estimates were in excess of $100,000. The writer did his best to get statements from the car dealer, the insurance company, the car's owner, etc. All were emphatic 'no comment'. Couldn't imagine being that owner coming to pick up your car and hearing this news!

On a side note - when I was in college, I had a job in Boston moonlighting as a valet. The WORST cars to valet were Porsche 911's. The owners were all super **** retentive but more importantly were also the WORST tippers. I will make no statements about what I used to do to those 911's, but safe to say, I try and avoid using valets as much as possible :-).
If you find the article, correct me, because I thought it was a Ferrari. What I am sure of is that it happened on Lee Highway (near Fairfax) close to where it intersects with 123 (not too far from Vienna where I lived at that time). There was a Ferrari service center not far from where the accident took place so it's not like the tech had to go very far to get into trouble.

Also as a side note, a few months ago a new Cayman was totaled by a tech in Walnut Creek. He was cut off and run off the road. Why he was out driving a brand new Cayman, and at a speed great enough to total the car, is another question altogether. I wonder if this sort of thing happens a lot more than we'd like to think about.

Last edited by Tcc1999; 11-15-2013 at 09:30 AM.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:38 AM
daberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to beholddaberlin is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Tcc1999
If you find the article, correct me, because I thought it was a Ferrari. What I am sure of is that it happened on Lee Highway (near Fairfax) close to where it intersects with 123 (not too far from Vienna where I lived at that time). The car, whether a Lamborghini or Ferrari was mangled as excessive speed was involved.
I am 100% positive that the article was about a Lambo as the Washington Post title 'Man has brush with the devil' also included a picture of a smashed up Diablo. But you are right, if memory serves, it did happen on Lee Highway and 123. I tried to do a Google search to see if anything came up, but I couldn't find anything. I know I have that news article clipping somewhere in my house, I just can't remember where.

CORRECTION - I found the article online. June 24, 1994. I don't have online access to the Washington Post (maybe someone else can cut/paste the whole article - it's pretty funny), but here are the first few paras:

http://www.highbeam.com/doc/1P2-897324.html

Last edited by daberlin; 11-15-2013 at 09:50 AM.
Old 11-15-2013, 09:49 AM
lacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud oflacrosse has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Gotnem108
No one know for sure if the was hot or not.

In this day and age you can't even be sure it was a "She".

Old 11-15-2013, 10:20 AM
XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !XR4Tim Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Tcc1999
Also as a side note, a few months ago a new Cayman was totaled by a tech in Walnut Creek. He was cut off and run off the road. Why he was out driving a brand new Cayman, and at a speed great enough to total the car, is another question altogether. I wonder if this sort of thing happens a lot more than we'd like to think about.
All new cars require a test drive during the PDI that includes highway-speed driving. Now if this happened in 30mph zone, that's another story.

Old 11-15-2013, 10:24 AM
Wheeler is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by lacrosse
In this day and age you can't even be sure it was a "She".
No doubt. Could have been Kid Rock.

Old 11-15-2013, 02:30 PM
RBarbieri is infamous around these parts
If you have to look closely to tell it doesn't matter -lol.

Old 11-16-2013, 11:10 AM
ksozay is infamous around these parts
While I know this won't bring much comfort, and I would be horrified if this happened to me, I would probably seek replacement of the wearables that have been impacted by the weekend jaunt. A replacement set of tires, pads and rotors, at your selection, would at least give you a backup set of wearables to replace when you are ready. Not a new car but at least gives you something tangible in value for your troubles. Unlikely you are going to wear through either brakes and tires in 230 miles but unclear how much wear you did lose compared to your driving habits.

Sorry to hear about your experience.

Best of luck!

Old 11-16-2013, 08:38 PM
Domer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond reputeDomer911 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ksozay
While I know this won't bring much comfort, and I would be horrified if this happened to me, I would probably seek replacement of the wearables that have been impacted by the weekend jaunt. A replacement set of tires, pads and rotors, at your selection, would at least give you a backup set of wearables to replace when you are ready. Not a new car but at least gives you something tangible in value for your troubles. Unlikely you are going to wear through either brakes and tires in 230 miles but unclear how much wear you did lose compared to your driving habits.

Sorry to hear about your experience.

Best of luck!

Seriously?

Old 11-17-2013, 07:43 AM
CHAOS236 is infamous around these partsCHAOS236 is infamous around these parts
Post this everyplace you can and name names.

Old 11-17-2013, 10:52 AM
ksozay is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Domer911
Seriously?
Because investigating the owner of the long blonde hair and then contemplating your other options, sounds more logical to you?

If you or the originator of the thread wish to hire a lawyer, a private detective, or pay for a DNA analysis on the blonde hair - your call. No judgment over here on my end. However, one man's perceived overreaction is another man's suggestion for help. I think we all want the owner to exit this situation feeling good. That's the core of what I took from you post and what I'd hope you and the owner would take from mine. Real life, not a perfect world, but just folks supporting each other on a Porsche forum, in their own way. Right?

Take care,

KS

Old 11-17-2013, 01:47 PM
carrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant future
^right on point

Old 11-17-2013, 02:02 PM
fjr_wertheimber has a spectacular aura aboutfjr_wertheimber has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by RaidersR1
Why wait till you got home? Did you use your phone? Your before pic would be right there showing what it was when you dropped it off. Then you don't get the brush off on the phone and then demand satisfaction. Once you leave...kind of leaves you open for question. Hope you get a response.

I use Fister in Brentwood. Not only is he my neighbor, but does great HONEST work!!

No stealer for me.
Darin Fister rocks. +1 for Fister.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Mechanic's 230 mile joy ride..