997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Mounting a 997.1 GT3 wing (not aerokit) on a standard 997 C2

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 01:08 PM
chaforjohn is infamous around these parts
Mounting a 997.1 GT3 wing (not aerokit) on a standard 997 C2

Hi Guys,

I've searched far and wide (hence this thread) and haven't found any conclusive findings on fitting a GT3 wing (not an aerokit wing) on a standard 997.1 C2.

I have a GT3 wing at the body shop right now and I'm trying to get it put on my standard 997.1 C2. I need help from this awesome, knowledgeable crowd -- and hopefully someone who's done this before.

What I know (and some questions):

1. The engine fan mounting location is different (GT3 location is on the airbox/passenger side)
Q: Are there clearance issues? If so, does anyone know which aftermarket intake will provide enough room?

2. The mounting hinge part numbers are different between GT3 and non-GT3 997's
Q: What's the reality, does it matter?

Your help is appreciated!!!!!

-John

Old 11-13-2013, 01:37 PM
sleek-sam is infamous around these parts
I dont know if this really helps you but I will try.

When I installed a Turbo decklid on my C2, I used the stock hinges, K&N intake for a 996 and the fan that belonged with the decklid. The 996 K&N intake gets rid of the airbax entirely.

The C2 only has a strut on one of the hinges. For your swap, I would think you would need to replace the hinge that does not have the strut and replace it with one that does since I assume the GT3 decklid weighs more. Maybe the GT3 hinge or even a Turbo hinge.

You may also need a different wiring harness for the 3rd brake light and will need to have some coding done so it works properly.

Hope this helps.

Old 11-13-2013, 02:13 PM
Originally Posted by sleek-sam
I dont know if this really helps you but I will try.

When I installed a Turbo decklid on my C2, I used the stock hinges, K&N intake for a 996 and the fan that belonged with the decklid. The 996 K&N intake gets rid of the airbax entirely.

The C2 only has a strut on one of the hinges. For your swap, I would think you would need to replace the hinge that does not have the strut and replace it with one that does since I assume the GT3 decklid weighs more. Maybe the GT3 hinge or even a Turbo hinge.

You may also need a different wiring harness for the 3rd brake light and will need to have some coding done so it works properly.

Hope this helps.
Awesome, thanks for this feedback, it definitely helps! Already got the 3rd brake light harness and have an appt scheduled for PIWIS codes. I'll probably go and pick up the K&N shortly and get that taken care of. Thinking about just eliminating the snorkel (interferes with the fan location of the GT3 decklid), for now until that comes in.

-John

Old 11-13-2013, 02:27 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Can't help you with the install but make sure your dealer disabled the spoiler button. My dealer did it for free when I took mine in for an oil change.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:23 PM
cl997 is a splendid one to beholdcl997 is a splendid one to beholdcl997 is a splendid one to beholdcl997 is a splendid one to beholdcl997 is a splendid one to beholdcl997 is a splendid one to behold
I can help!
I did exactly this and know every step.
in short:
remove fan, remove C2 rear wing, install fan on RHS of GT3 wing, install wing, dealer disables auto spoiler via PIWIS, remove airbox and snorkel, install aftermarket air box (I used EVOMS), (optional - I also put in an IPS)
If you want, PM and I'll send pics and answer any questions.

Old 11-14-2013, 09:30 PM
Originally Posted by cl997
I can help!
I did exactly this and know every step.
in short:
remove fan, remove C2 rear wing, install fan on RHS of GT3 wing, install wing, dealer disables auto spoiler via PIWIS, remove airbox and snorkel, install aftermarket air box (I used EVOMS), (optional - I also put in an IPS)
If you want, PM and I'll send pics and answer any questions.
Excellent, thank you so much for your help!

Old 11-18-2014, 06:23 AM
mk3boy is just really nicemk3boy is just really nicemk3boy is just really nicemk3boy is just really nice
which intake did you use?

Old 11-19-2014, 03:15 PM
cl997 is a splendid one to beholdcl997 is a splendid one to beholdcl997 is a splendid one to beholdcl997 is a splendid one to beholdcl997 is a splendid one to beholdcl997 is a splendid one to behold
EVOMS and B&M. sent you a PM

Old 11-19-2014, 03:49 PM
Miami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud ofMiami4me has much to be proud of
I saw a thread here in the past month where someone used the stock strut on an Aerokit (possibly GT3) deck lid and wing. He concluded that the weight difference was negligible viz. the strut, and the old strut worked perfectly. That obviously has nothing to do with your airflow issue, but it looks like you have solved that with the CAI you ordered. (I've been hesitant to go that route, since you are no longer drawing cold air into your intake, but hot engine bay air.) There are numerous other threads about re-routing the airflow with the GT3 wing on a Carrera, both here and on RennList.

Please post pics when you're done. Good luck!

Old 11-20-2014, 06:19 AM
tphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond reputetphan has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jkidcusto
I saw a thread here in the past month where someone used the stock strut on an Aerokit
Stock strut was used for my aerokit GT3 deck, it is lighter than OEM deck (less hydraulic mechanism).