997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Keeping both my 911's, but just ordered a Stingray

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2013, 11:35 AM
Gotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to beholdGotgolf52 is a splendid one to behold
I don't think it is fair comparing Porsche 911 vs Stingray. The base 911 is almost $100k car vs base stingray $50k. I hope you see my point, therefore fit and finish by EXPECTATION my 911 should be or better be higher quality. But corvette has always been an American classic performance car for reasonable price compare to high end European cars. I think the Stingray is a very good looking car for what you paying for. I would totally buy the Stingray over Nissan GTR or 370z, Infinity G37, Subaru WRX STI, EVO Lancer, Audi S5, or even BMW M3. IMO the stingray make to compete with those categories but certainly at the level of the 911 fit and finish. Therefore, in it class I think you get the best money for the car. Go GM, I am glad to see American automobile stepping up and produce some high quality cars Cadillac CTS and Stingray make American cars looks good and it is a good thing for us

Old 11-21-2013, 12:38 PM
Tmainevent is infamous around these parts
Is everyone missing something here...seems like the convo became derailed...its not a debate on the vette vs the carrera...

See the big picture---he has 2 carrera's and 1 vette.

I think is a simple 'congrats' is all that needs to be in order!

I look forward to seeing the new family photo (aka all of them together) when you take delivery!

Old 11-21-2013, 04:59 PM
fjr_wertheimber has a spectacular aura aboutfjr_wertheimber has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Mcjimmy33
I dont understand why people keep knocking the materials. As someone noted on here, a loaded up one costs less than 75k. You can aqueeze into a base one at 50k. Someone else find me a 450hp car that can be daily driven with good gas mileage, a trunk, and a track ready car for those prices? If it costs 50k less than a 911 you need to expect some compromises. The vette is all about a value buy, the engineers put the money more on the performance side vs interior quailty. Even a gt-r is 100k, so yes, it is a cheaper gt-r. Whats wrong with that?
I look at it this way: if Toyota, Honda, Nissan, BMW, and Mercedes can make their bottom-of-the-line vehicles all out of materials that don't look nearly as cheap as what GM uses, why can't GM? I don't know what it is, it's like some cultural ethos at GM that they think "Well, this material looks nice, but it's the same material other manufacturers use, so we'll use this cheaper one instead." "Yes, Bob, but that one looks like crap, which is why the other manufacturers don't use it." "Exactly, so we'll be the only ones using it! It'll make us different!" And I say this as coming from a long-line of GM owners in my family. I've just never understood the cheap, tacky plastic that GM buys.

Old 11-21-2013, 05:14 PM
bmwtmx has a spectacular aura aboutbmwtmx has a spectacular aura about
The fact that all the Europeans are going automatic only (as in NO clutch) I can see a Vette in my future. Not yet. When prices have dumped and the Z06 is out. I mean at the track I only care about passing. And yes, I'll be keeping ny 996TT and 930.

Old 11-21-2013, 09:37 PM
cab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by FullThrottle64
Funny - I ended up doing the exact same thing, looking at a new Z51 and then buying a '08 C2S. There's a pattern here.
I don't think it's funny..... Bcoz I was about to buy a new Vette myself and ended up with a c4s.

We are the 3 musketeers.

Old 11-21-2013, 10:21 PM
rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !rvhpno80 Is a GOD !
looks great in white…

Old 11-21-2013, 11:10 PM
kpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond reputekpt6 has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
So wait, if we get a Corvette, we must associate with a lower form of life?
You drive a Nissan, so you should be just fine if you get a Corvette.

J/K. ... kind of..

Old 11-22-2013, 05:51 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by kpt6
You drive a Nissan, so you should be just fine if you get a Corvette.

J/K. ... kind of..
I guess my comment is responding to those who are suggesting that getting a Corvette is a 'class' issue, and doesn't revolve at all around the actual car itself, as if a Boxster or Base 911 elevates anyone's status.

Old 11-22-2013, 09:02 AM
VinceC is infamous around these parts
Just drove my first Corvette the other day. It was a supercharged C6 Grand Sport, and was a whole lot of fun!

Of course it was much different than a 911 - but still a blast. Enjoy!

Old 11-22-2013, 09:31 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by fjr_wertheimber
I look at it this way: if Toyota, Honda, Nissan, BMW, and Mercedes can make their bottom-of-the-line vehicles all out of materials that don't look nearly as cheap as what GM uses, why can't GM? I don't know what it is, it's like some cultural ethos at GM that they think "Well, this material looks nice, but it's the same material other manufacturers use, so we'll use this cheaper one instead." "Yes, Bob, but that one looks like crap, which is why the other manufacturers don't use it." "Exactly, so we'll be the only ones using it! It'll make us different!" And I say this as coming from a long-line of GM owners in my family. I've just never understood the cheap, tacky plastic that GM buys.

But - Plastic is probably cheaper, and weighs less than sheet metal. Why plastic reinforced fiber not used? I don't know - maybe cost again...

I know I don't spend the majority of my time pushing in the rear panel of my cars. I'm usually driving them.

I mean - I don't see the need (like in the NISMO GT-R) to have a CF rear lower valence. Are we trying to make the back of the car more rigid for some reason? Do we back up that fast, that it should also maintain its shape aerodynamically?

Like was stated earlier - there is a reason you can get a 3400lbs car with 460HP for $52k. I'm glad they did it, too. Is it for everyone? No. But it is nice that we get a choice.

Old 11-23-2013, 12:52 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
I've got some thoughts on a couple of the comments here:

1. Class: the C7 takes dead aim at the 911. Make no mistake about it. It's not meant to be a "value" car, it's meant to be a high-performance sports car to compete with the 911, the GTR, the Cayman, etc. And if you read or watch some of Edmunds tests, or Automobile magazine, or Car & Driver, you will see that the C7 does very well. In one test, it outdoes the Berlinetta, GTR, Viper, M3, Cayman, Jag F-Type, and a slew of others. The 911 was interestingly not in that test, though. My point: don't just think of it as great bang per buck, it's actually great bang at any buck.

2. Interior: if you think the interior is "plasticky", you've obviously never sat in the new Stingray. It is top notch.

3. There is definitely a stigma associated with Corvettes- I am well aware of it, and honestly, it's unattractive to me. But I do think this new model will begin to change people's perception. It has changed mine.
CATTMAN

Last edited by Cattman; 11-23-2013 at 01:35 PM.
Old 11-23-2013, 01:52 PM
FullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud of
I have sat in one. The seats still are terrible, and the LCDs are annoying distraction, not a great feature. The build quality is also very weak - has anyone yet seen a Z51 where the number pan properly aligns with the rear quarter panels?

Old 11-23-2013, 02:34 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by FullThrottle64
I have sat in one. The seats still are terrible, and the LCDs are annoying distraction, not a great feature. The build quality is also very weak - has anyone yet seen a Z51 where the number pan properly aligns with the rear quarter panels?
I disagree, but to each their own. I found the seats felt very much like those in my 997, which I quite like.

Old 11-23-2013, 04:12 PM
Carnut12 is infamous around these parts
I think it is a great car, much different than the 911, I like both of them. I am leary of all the issues they are having, hopefully by the time you get yours they are worked out.

Cattman I look forward to your driving impressions, just curious have you ever owned an American V8? That alone makes the biggest difference between the 2 cars.

Old 11-23-2013, 05:56 PM
tommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud of
Congrats and good luck....3 sports cars is one lucky guy!!

Tom

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Keeping both my 911's, but just ordered a Stingray