997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Keeping both my 911's, but just ordered a Stingray

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2013, 09:05 PM
FullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Cattman
I disagree, but to each their own. I found the seats felt very much like those in my 997, which I quite like.
How are the seats anything alike? The 'Vette seats are nearly dead-flat on the bottom - no significant side bolstering at all, on both the standard and "competition" seats; in contrast, the 997 seats have some of the largest, most effective side bolsters I've seen on any production car (except the Cayman R). In the 'Vette, I feel like I'm sliding sideways even in modest cornering; in the 997, it feels secure at track cornering levels.

Not even close.

Old 11-23-2013, 10:42 PM
cab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud of
Wow! I am beginning to get disappointed. It was criticized for the seats and interior and I thought they addressed those. I have yet to see it myself so I can't contribute.

One can always buy aftermarke seats?

Old 11-24-2013, 05:46 AM
911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold
Cattman, what are the chances you drive it for a year and trade it and your 997 for a 991? I always think about buying other cars but none will make me happy for the long term like a 911. I recently considered the new F Type, but knew I would trade after it a year.

Old 11-24-2013, 08:37 AM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by FullThrottle64
How are the seats anything alike? The 'Vette seats are nearly dead-flat on the bottom - no significant side bolstering at all, on both the standard and "competition" seats; in contrast, the 997 seats have some of the largest, most effective side bolsters I've seen on any production car (except the Cayman R). In the 'Vette, I feel like I'm sliding sideways even in modest cornering; in the 997, it feels secure at track cornering levels.

Not even close.
It sounds like we did not sit in the same seat. The new seats have even more side bolstering than my 997, and fit tighter as well. In addition, the side bolsters are adjustable, so perhaps, the one you sat in had it's bolsters all the way out. The bolsters also rise up higher than in my 997. Finally, both seats are in fact made by the same company.

I mean no disrespect, but it sounds like we were in very different seats and/ or vehicles.

Here's a quick video comparing the old 2013 seats to the new 2014 Stingray seats, done by Car & Driver.:

And here is a video of the entire interior. You can clearly see that the seats' side bolsters are indeed very aggressive:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OaRo7J5hsTk#t=50

CATTMAN

Old 11-24-2013, 09:36 AM
Electron Mike is infamous around these parts
Congrats on the order! I think you will be pleasantly surprised when you get some seat time in the C7. I have spent some time driving various 997 and 991s models, and they are AMAZING cars. Both the Vette and 911 are great cars with different strengths and weaknesses, but at the end of the day they are both huge fun to drive. I am very satisfied with mine after two weeks of ownership and the seats are a huge improvement from previous C5 and C6 cars.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	photo4.jpg
Views:	501
Size:	84.9 KB
ID:	305190  

Last edited by Electron Mike; 11-24-2013 at 09:39 AM.
Old 11-24-2013, 12:42 PM
FullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud ofFullThrottle64 has much to be proud of
I mean no disrespect, but it sounds like we were in very different seats and/ or vehicles.
The bolsters on the Z51 seat bottoms are absoloutely NOT higher than the 997 seats - not eveen close. The SIDES are fairly agressive, but the BOTTOM of the seat is still very flat - and that's where you really need the lateral support during aggressive cornering.

Old 11-24-2013, 02:24 PM
cab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Electron Mike
Congrats on the order! I think you will be pleasantly surprised when you get some seat time in the C7. I have spent some time driving various 997 and 991s models, and they are AMAZING cars. Both the Vette and 911 are great cars with different strengths and weaknesses, but at the end of the day they are both huge fun to drive. I am very satisfied with mine after two weeks of ownership and the seats are a huge improvement from previous C5 and C6 cars.

Nice! I have owned 7 Porsches in my lifetime but I told myself when I was young that I will own one. Perhaps nxt year, I'll fulfill my last unfulfilled wish.

911's or Corvettes... Each has a purpose and time of day to enjoy. I see no reason to not own both.

Old 11-24-2013, 04:15 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Aren't all seats flat? I have sport adaptives and they are flat.
Most people don't get to see the German magazine sport auto, but their December cover is "new porsche killer -corvette c7! ". This magazine definitely loves porsche. It was a comparison with a 991s and a jag xkr. The best Hockenheim track time was taken by the Vette! However if you see it, read the fine print. The Porsche sent by the factory did not have all the go fast equipment, in fact they tested another 991s fully equipped and it was a full second around the track faster than the Vette. But hey, the value is amazing.

We mention the attitude about Vette drivers. Don't know about you guys, but the perceived attitude about Porsche owners is crazy -especially from gtr folks ;-).

Old 11-24-2013, 05:02 PM
Carnut12 is infamous around these parts
I think his point is the Bottom sides do not hold you in, based on pictures this appears true.

Both the Standard and Competition have the same bottom-

That does not compare to this, these are the best I have of mine-

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	35jfcao.jpg
Views:	640
Size:	53.7 KB
ID:	305259   Click image for larger version

Name:	11vo9ee.jpg
Views:	458
Size:	808.5 KB
ID:	305260   Click image for larger version

Name:	2nrewcx.jpg
Views:	468
Size:	772.2 KB
ID:	305261  

Last edited by Carnut12; 11-24-2013 at 05:26 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 06:53 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Ah, the sides of the bottom, that's what he means, OK. I call the vertical sides "bolsters".

Ultimately, I really don't care, I already own two 911's, so buying a Stingray isn't about trying to out-do Porsche. I am a huge Porsche lover and loyalist, and am keeping both of my 911's.

My point, plain and simple, is that the Stingray has changed my attitude about the Corvette brand, although it will definitely take longer to overcome the stereotype of the owners, and the stigma of the name.
CATTMAN

Old 11-24-2013, 07:49 PM
ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !ryem3 Is a GOD !
Really not sure about the big benefits of deep thigh bolsters. In a black series GTR in fact the Recaro on the driver side is way too narrow for most people and not adjustable. The sport adaptives are close to too narrow as well. Of course I get the sense all of these seats are particularly tailored for the physiques of people from each cars' country. I know of countless examples. It's particularly obvious in old ferraris and lambos. The vette is much improved considering we are talking about a car that originated in the country that made bench seats.

Last edited by ryem3; 11-24-2013 at 07:53 PM.
Old 11-24-2013, 09:21 PM
Carnut12 is infamous around these parts
Ah, the sides of the bottom, that's what he means, OK. I call the vertical sides "bolsters".

Ultimately, I really don't care, I already own two 911's, so buying a Stingray isn't about trying to out-do Porsche. I am a huge Porsche lover and loyalist, and am keeping both of my 911's.

My point, plain and simple, is that the Stingray has changed my attitude about the Corvette brand, although it will definitely take longer to overcome the stereotype of the owners, and the stigma of the name.
CATTMAN
I am excited for you!!! Please keep us updated!!

Old 11-25-2013, 02:06 PM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Saw two on the road last week and they do look pretty good, again, I think once the novelty wears off, it'll be another car on the road. It's a bargain no doubt, kudos to Chevy.

Old 11-25-2013, 02:37 PM
Originally Posted by ryem3
Really not sure about the big benefits of deep thigh bolsters.
The majority of race drivers will tell you that you feel what the car is doing with your hips. If there's no thigh/hip bolstering, you can't feel the cornering forces. It also spreads the lateral G load to prevent/minimizing bruising and muscle fatigue.

In a proper race car, you use a molded seat that gives complete contact from shoulder to mid-thigh. In a mixed-use vehicle, you would use as much lateral support as you can get - the seats in the Porsche Cayman R are a great example.

Of course I get the sense all of these seats are particularly tailored for the physiques of people from each cars' country.
The Euro high-performance cars are tailored for racing drivers who tend to be in good physical condition. US-bred couch potatoes don't tend to actually drive their cars at the limits of handling, so the Corvette seats are probably fine for their target demographic....

[Sorry - I just couldn't resist]

Old 11-25-2013, 02:49 PM
Wheeler is infamous around these parts
In all seriousness, I'm guessing GM designed the seat for the American a$$? I'm a bigger guy, not huge, but my butt and hips are larger than say the average 175 lb test driver, I'm about 210 lbs. Sports car seats always SEEM to be too tight at the bolster when I first sit in them...then after driving and settling in I really like and appreciate them. My 997 felt that way when I first started driving it, now I LOVE the seats. That said, if average 55 year old, slightly overweight, Joe comes in to buy his dream car and can't squeeze his big butt in the seat, does he walk?? Maybe go look at a Challenger or Camaro to find a better fit? Just a thought.

Originally Posted by FullThrottle64
The majority of race drivers will tell you that you feel what the car is doing with your hips. If there's no thigh/hip bolstering, you can't feel the cornering forces. It also spreads the lateral G load to prevent/minimizing bruising and muscle fatigue.

In a proper race car, you use a molded seat that gives complete contact from shoulder to mid-thigh. In a mixed-use vehicle, you would use as much lateral support as you can get - the seats in the Porsche Cayman R are a great example.

The Euro high-performance cars are tailored for racing drivers who tend to be in good physical condition. US-bred couch potatoes don't tend to actually drive their cars at the limits of handling, so the Corvette seats are probably fine for their target demographic....

[Sorry - I just couldn't resist]

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Keeping both my 911's, but just ordered a Stingray