997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Keeping both my 911's, but just ordered a Stingray

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-02-2014, 12:13 PM
mark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by AP 997S
A bit off the tread's topic but I like my new Cayman's drivability more than my old 2005 997S. A lot more balanced (ie. mid-engine); it's hard (but possible) to make a mistake on the Cayman vs. the 997 which required a more driver attention/skill due to the rear end weight.

I do miss the cabin space and the 911 heritage but the styling of the new Cayman, the added technical features and 325 ponies are pretty sweet. I get more comments (positive) from onlookers on the Cayman then I ever got w/ the 997.
Yes a bit off topic but I appreciate the feedback! Now back to the thread...hehehe

Old 01-02-2014, 12:25 PM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by OldBoldPilot
I finally saw, touched and sat in a new C7 a few days ago at my local Chevy dealer. Like everyone else I thought it was a massive improvement over past generation Corvettes, of which I owned two. What I didn't like about it were (1) the plethora of plastic scoops (front fenders, rear fenders, hood) (2) the "tightness" and feeling of confinement in sitting in the driver's seat, accentuated by the high transmission tunnel
I agree with your comments about the tightness of the interior. I was really surprised by that. It felt much smaller than my GTS, and no larger at all than the new Cayman. In fact, I think I fell more comfortable in the new Cayman. Even if I wanted a C7, not sure I would get one because of the tight fit. I am 6'1" and abut 210 lbs. For smaller people, I am sure it would be OK.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:44 PM
MarathonBob has a spectacular aura aboutMarathonBob has a spectacular aura aboutMarathonBob has a spectacular aura about
I love my 997 but the new GM C7 IMHO is 90%+ as strong as the Porsche for about 60% of the $. The C7 can stand side by side with the 911 and not be out of its league. It's a great looking car outside and inside. I agree it has lots of scoops and openings but at least they're functional. Few here criticize Ferrari when they do the same!

Many here have expressed lots of negative stereotypes on GM vehicles and in many cases its been fact based. I sense however that GM has changed and the Vette, ATS, and CTS are the examples of that.

I'm not a GM owner and in fact drive 2 Porsche's and a BMW. But you've got to admire some of the vehicles GM is putting out, with great driving dynamics and $ value. Kudos to GM. And proud that an American company can make world class cars. Nothing to hate about that.

Cattman made a good move!

Last edited by MarathonBob; 01-02-2014 at 06:08 PM.
Old 01-02-2014, 06:22 PM
mark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by MarathonBob
I love my 997 but the new GM C7 IMHO is 90%+ as strong as the Porsche for about 60% of the $. The C7 can stand side by side with the 911 and not be out of its league. It's a great looking car outside and inside. I agree it has lots of scoops and openings but at least they're functional. Few here criticize Ferrari when they do the same!

Many here have expressed lots of negative stereotypes on GM vehicles and in many cases its been fact based. I sense however that GM has changed and the Vette, ATS, and CTS are the examples of that.

I'm not a GM owner and in fact drive 2 Porsche's and a BMW. But you've got to admire some of the vehicles GM is putting out, with great driving dynamics and $ value. Kudos to GM. And proud that an American company can make world class cars. Nothing to hate about that.

Cattman made a good move!
+1
GM is doing the right thing by advancing their quality on all new models.
C7 and Cadillac models are great examples.
Their truck line has always been a solid product.

Old 01-03-2014, 05:18 AM
MrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud ofMrPrice has much to be proud of
I think you get used to seeing anything. Algar Ferrari is a few miles from my home, and I see at least a few of them every day except really bad weather. There are also 2 Porsche dealers a McLaren, Maserati, Lamborghini, Bentley, Rolls, and Aston Martin dealers within 15 miles of me. When the weather gets nice I see all of these cars all the time. If Algar was not so close I would have saved a lot of money bought 11 cars from them over the years! The C7 is new and bold looking but that will fade in time.

Old 04-15-2014, 07:06 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
The worst thing about owning a C7 is the lack of a mature forum in which to discuss it. The Corvette forums are full of complete jerks. The more I drive my C7 the more I like, and prefer it to my 997S. But from a brand perspective, I am Porsche guy, not a " 'Vette " guy.
CATTMAN

Old 04-16-2014, 04:52 AM
Carnut12 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Cattman
The worst thing about owning a C7 is the lack of a mature forum in which to discuss it. The Corvette forums are full of complete jerks. The more I drive my C7 the more I like, and prefer it to my 997S. But from a brand perspective, I am Porsche guy, not a " 'Vette " guy.
CATTMAN
I agree 100%, I was following your post on the Corvette Forums as well. I am really glad you are loving the car, I might try one eventually, might have done so already if that forum did not clarify my belief about the typical owners. I am thinking about the Vert, I could get GM Supplier Pricing which is about $6-7K off.

We will see, enjoy your car and thank you for the update!!!!!

Old 04-16-2014, 05:47 AM
Wheeler is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Carnut12
I agree 100%, I was following your post on the Corvette Forums as well. I am really glad you are loving the car, I might try one eventually, might have done so already if that forum did not clarify my belief about the typical owners. I am thinking about the Vert, I could get GM Supplier Pricing which is about $6-7K off.

We will see, enjoy your car and thank you for the update!!!!!
I'd grab one of those 427's they were trying to give away...if any are still around. Prettier car IMO.

Sorry to hear about the forum cattman. Way more corvettes on the road, way more trolls on the forum. There are certainly good people there too. That said, the few guys I've met with C7's seem to be "that guy". Painfully brand loyal with blinders on, 0-60...launch control...look at this screen pop up...this button makes the exhaust louder.... Ya...I know. You should put a pic of the 997 in your sig!

Old 04-16-2014, 07:33 AM
gloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud ofgloves has much to be proud of
Can you comment on the build quality? That is the one thing that always gets me with American cars. The materials are usually not as nice. And panel gap is uneven. We 'mercans seem to love plastic.

Your 997 is 10 year's old. I am not surprised that the Vette outperforms it in almost all categories, but you are comparing a brand new $70 car to a 10 year old $100K+ car. So stating that they are even in the same hemisphere from one another, speaks VOLUMES about the quality of a 911.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:06 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Cattman
CATTMAN
What blows my mind is that the avg age of corvette owners are 59. You think by that age, they'll all be grown up.

Old 04-16-2014, 11:31 AM
bmwtmx has a spectacular aura aboutbmwtmx has a spectacular aura about
I traded my 996TT with some mods for my buddy's C6 ZR1 for a few hours. I was so excited when we discussed this that I started looking online for used ZR1's right away. Well, after the ride I was astounded that my Turbo out-accelerated the ZR1 (with both of us driving each car) up to around 120 as it just hooks up so much better. The "feel" behind the wheel was beyond compare. My Turbo felt like it was built from a rock, the Vette felt....I don't know, just flimsy. The quality was not even close and my car was 9 years older. I walked away with a new found appreciation for my car and my buddy walked away thinking how awesome my car was as well. The ZR1 was still amazing. But the quality is not close. I haven't driven the current Vette but I really want to see how it compares.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	cars.jpg
Views:	63
Size:	2.66 MB
ID:	360553  
Old 04-16-2014, 11:57 AM
Snogoer is infamous around these parts
Wow, a Stingray and not one but TWO 911's! You're my new role model. I love my all-wheel drive C4S, but the C7 numbers are impressive. If I were making a buying decision today, I'd want to go the route you have gone, and own both. I'm really liking the wide-body Z-06 coming soon, with 625hp, ceramic Brembos and 8-speed trans. It's very tempting. Will you have your wife call my wife and explain why I need both?

Old 04-16-2014, 04:04 PM
SecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant futureSecretAsianMan has a brilliant future
It's all about the audience for the cars, I guess. Reminds me of s2ki.com.

Years ago I had an S2000 and I remember when it was a new car the enthusiast community over at s2ki.com was just amazing. Mostly it was people who were well-to-do enough to spend ~$35k on a super impractical toy, so mostly mature enthusiasts. Great dialog.

Over the years the car gradually became cheap enough that it hit critical mass for the "JDM tuner" crowd and the community went downhill in a hurry.