997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Engine Stall & Restart

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-24-2013, 11:47 AM
RaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of light
Engine Stall & Restart

Ok....been driving manuals since I was 17.....30 years of on/off driving. With my 997 whenever I stall it, not a lot but heavy clutch makes it stall
more than I want, the restart is weird. I maintain a good charge on the battery so it isn't low, but when I restart my car after a stall the battery sounds like it doesn't have near enough charge to start the car. Carr starts really rough and the motor seems to shake. It always starts...but after a few cranks.....but it sounds horrible!!!

Any insight?

Old 11-24-2013, 12:17 PM
jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !jhbrennan Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by RaidersR1
Ok....been driving manuals since I was 17.....30 years of on/off driving. With my 997 whenever I stall it, not a lot but heavy clutch makes it stall
more than I want, the restart is weird. I maintain a good charge on the battery so it isn't low, but when I restart my car after a stall the battery sounds like it doesn't have near enough charge to start the car. Carr starts really rough and the motor seems to shake. It always starts...but after a few cranks.....but it sounds horrible!!!

Any insight?
Age of battery? Even with a "good" charge it could be the problem. However the alternator cable is a notorious weak link too. Search for that since I know it's been reported before.

Old 11-24-2013, 12:29 PM
RaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of lightRaidersR1 is a glorious beacon of light
But this poor sounding charge ONLY Happens after a stall. Normal everyday start is just fine. Sounds and starts great. Weird. Battery is about a year old.

Old 11-24-2013, 12:42 PM
carrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant future
Alternator cable

Old 11-24-2013, 12:48 PM
Banned
semicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond reputesemicycler has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by carrera997re
Alternator cable
+1 on the alternator cable harness

It's a known issue where engine heat causes the cable end near the alternator to increase in resistance, reducing the effectiveness of the alternator's charging capability. There is an updated and heavier gauge cable harness to fix this.

Old 11-24-2013, 12:51 PM
carrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant futurecarrera997re has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by semicycler
Originally Posted by carrera997re
Alternator cable
+1 on the alternator cable harness

It's a known issue where engine heat causes the cable end near the alternator to increase in resistance, reducing the effectiveness of the alternator's charging capability. There is an updated and heavier gauge cable harness to fix this.
I also had that weird restart lets say getting gas then fire up amd it would sound like the engine was all messed up crackling noise. Btw had this replaced at the dealer and a year later its acting up again and it wasent a cheap job either if i could remember i think in the 900-1000 range!!

Old 11-24-2013, 12:59 PM
Ok. Il talk to my master mechanic Darin @ FD Motorsports. He can take care of this for me. He may know about this. Car is an 07 with 43k on it...so it may be just about that time to do.

Thanks for all the feedback!!

Old 11-24-2013, 02:18 PM
barncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the rough
+1 on Darrin, I know you've already been fistered

Old 11-24-2013, 03:07 PM
kkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nicekkswow12 is just really nice
YES! i know EXACTLY what you mean...kindof like it goes backwards first or its jumping cogs on the chain ... of course not really but something odd and thats what i think when i hear it, maybe there is a little too much petrol in the cylinders...SOMEthing different and only on clutch stall/restarts...actually i am glad to hear you say this as it must be alright then, or at least its not just me...mine is an 08 .1 and has been doing this since the beginning of my stewardship @ +/-10000km...let us know, of course you will, what you find out...i have done this maybe 8-10 times...hey---i'm an excellent driver...

Old 11-24-2013, 03:57 PM
SFZGT3 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by RaidersR1

Any insight?
OK, I have a theory. You mention a "heavy clutch" which I understand is an indicator of a potentially failing clutch on our 997's. When you try a hot restart is the gear shift in neutral or in gear? If in gear, and the clutch is not fully releasing, perhaps there is enough drag to affect the starter and to actually try to spin the tranny on the starter. Again, just a theory. What do you guys think?

Old 11-24-2013, 08:15 PM
barncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the rough
I dunno, I aways put mine in neutral, depress the clutch and it starts

Old 11-24-2013, 09:14 PM
socalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to all
Just an FYI, I believe this is a quirk of the 997. I've stalled mine a few times over the years and yes, it's hard to start after and it does kinda sputter and go a bit wonky. This is normal, weird, but normal...

Old 11-24-2013, 09:31 PM
Deff wonky like the cars angry you stalled lol

Old 11-24-2013, 09:50 PM
A2B
A2B is infamous around these parts
It's the alternator cable. Known problem and after stall my '06 starts right up.

Old 11-25-2013, 04:42 AM
tommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud oftommyv has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by socalsteve
Just an FYI, I believe this is a quirk of the 997. I've stalled mine a few times over the years and yes, it's hard to start after and it does kinda sputter and go a bit wonky. This is normal, weird, but normal...
This happens to me too!! I think Steve is right....could be nothing wrong!

Tom

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Engine Stall & Restart