997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Question: 997 Roadtrip from DFW to Seattle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-28-2013, 01:46 PM
neos281 has a spectacular aura aboutneos281 has a spectacular aura about
Question: 997 Roadtrip from DFW to Seattle

Hi All,

I am thinking of driving my 911 from DFW to Seattle and am in need of some driving tips on getting there. My vehicle is currently at the dealership getting the annual maintenance and tires replaced in order to make sure I'm prepared. Has anyone driven this route and if so, do you have any suggestions on what I should be prepared for? If you have any additional tips for someone who hasn't driven farther than 400 miles, I would be very grateful.

I did want to mention that I have been looking at temperatures for next week and they are looking decent on the west coast. Lately it has been around 25-35 degrees here in Dallas and my car has felt great driving on this cold pavement.

Thanks in advance, everyone! Glad to be apart of such an awesome community of enthusiasts.

My Vehicle: 2006 Porsche 911 C2
Mileage: 33K
Date to travel: Friday, Dec 6. 2013

Route Option 1:
Mileage: 2106
DFW to Albuquerque to Salt Lake City to Seattle
Link to Map.

Route Option 2:
Mileage: 2484
DFW to Albuquerque to Sacramento to Seattle

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	11106170743_f4ff57626c_n.jpg
Views:	710
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	306452   Click image for larger version

Name:	11106353675_5909a29f36.jpg
Views:	2486
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	306453   Click image for larger version

Name:	11106353375_4f795df868.jpg
Views:	899
Size:	183.9 KB
ID:	306454  
Old 11-28-2013, 03:15 PM
too tall is infamous around these parts
I'd drive option #1 because of less traffic and more rural road possibilities not to mention the vistas. The coastal route is very tempting but the traffic would make me nuts.

Sounds great when do we leave?

Old 11-28-2013, 03:23 PM
Originally Posted by too tall
I'd drive option #1 because of less traffic and more rural road possibilities not to mention the vistas. The coastal route is very tempting but the traffic would make me nuts.

Sounds great when do we leave?
Yeah, option 1 is preferred due to less miles but I'm not sure what to expect once I get into the elevated areas in Utah and beyond.

I leave next Friday morning, Dec 6th.

Old 11-28-2013, 03:55 PM
rvc
rvc is infamous around these parts
Take route 1 definitely....much better scenery and wide open throttle opportunuities as well.....going route 2 will bore you death straight up I-5....not to mention Calif Hwy patrols everywhere

Old 11-28-2013, 04:59 PM
too tall is infamous around these parts
Your car has automated methods to sense elevation changes and alter the engine performance. No worries old boy, go for it.

Originally Posted by neos281
Yeah, option 1 is preferred due to less miles but I'm not sure what to expect once I get into the elevated areas in Utah and beyond.

I leave next Friday morning, Dec 6th.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:14 PM
Ejcarrera is infamous around these parts
Option #1 can be a nice drive and also has a better chance of snow if that is a problem for you. You will be crossing some mountain ranges with two that would be of concern. Southeast of salt lake city in the area of Price, UT, through to I15 by Provo UT. The other is the crossing of the cascades east of Seattle. Both are difficult if snow is sticking. Optin #2, I5 is a nice drive from Redding Ca, to Seattle. Only real chance of snow is around Mount Shasta. The rest of that route might not be to cool.

Enjoy the road trip, it's all about the freedom to go where you want and the adventure to get there.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:31 PM
Originally Posted by rvc
Take route 1 definitely....much better scenery and wide open throttle opportunuities as well.
agree sir!

Originally Posted by too tall
Your car has automated methods to sense elevation changes and alter the engine performance. No worries old boy, go for it.
Thats good to know! Thanks bud.

Originally Posted by Ejcarrera
Option #1 can be a nice drive and also has a better chance of snow if that is a problem for you. You will be crossing some mountain ranges with two that would be of concern. Southeast of salt lake city in the area of Price, UT, through to I15 by Provo UT. The other is the crossing of the cascades east of Seattle. Both are difficult if snow is sticking. Optin #2, I5 is a nice drive from Redding Ca, to Seattle. Only real chance of snow is around Mount Shasta. The rest of that route might not be to cool.

Enjoy the road trip, it's all about the freedom to go where you want and the adventure to get there.
Yeah, I was kinda worried about the range east of Seattle which is why option 2 (although not as exciting) might be the best option this time of year. At this point all I can do is monitor the weather until I depart next week.

Appreciate the input.

Old 11-28-2013, 06:54 PM
Dadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond reputeDadio has a reputation beyond repute
Elevation in Alburquerque is a mile or more. Texas panhandle gets it's share of snow. Would suggest you prepare for it regardless of your route.

Old 11-28-2013, 07:56 PM
devil boy is infamous around these parts
+1 on option 1. The scenery should be amazing.

Old 11-28-2013, 08:03 PM
997pinoy911 is a jewel in the rough997pinoy911 is a jewel in the rough997pinoy911 is a jewel in the rough997pinoy911 is a jewel in the rough
Only tip is buy a spare tire and jack! No matter what route you take I see miles of smiles. Enjoy!

Old 11-29-2013, 12:59 AM
K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !K-E-V Is a GOD !
I drove part of Route #1 about 2 years ago from SLC to Seattle. It's a cool route with lots of changes in elevations. I did the whole trip in about 9 hours and it was an Audi S4, so snow was not a problem. Like others have pointed out, it's tricky to pass the Cascade during this time of the year. They might require you to have chains on before they'll let you through the WSP check point. Sometimes when the snow really hits, they might even shut down the pass completely.

Don't forget that it's full service in gas stations in Oregon.

Old 11-29-2013, 05:17 AM
Originally Posted by Dadio
Elevation in Alburquerque is a mile or more. Texas panhandle gets it's share of snow. Would suggest you prepare for it regardless of your route.
Yep, yep. Not worried about the Texas pan (or at least not next week). Its in the mountains of WA that gets me concerned. Thanks for the input

Originally Posted by devil boy
+1 on option 1. The scenery should be amazing.
Everyone else has mentioned the same thing as well. Unfortunately, option 2 might be the better option this time of year.

Originally Posted by 997pinoy911
Only tip is buy a spare tire and jack! No matter what route you take I see miles of smiles. Enjoy!
I can definitely see how that would add peace of mind. Thanks

Originally Posted by K-E-V
I drove part of Route #1 about 2 years ago from SLC to Seattle. It's a cool route with lots of changes in elevations. I did the whole trip in about 9 hours and it was an Audi S4, so snow was not a problem. Like others have pointed out, it's tricky to pass the Cascade during this time of the year. They might require you to have chains on before they'll let you through the WSP check point. Sometimes when the snow really hits, they might even shut down the pass completely.

Don't forget that it's full service in gas stations in Oregon.
Yeah, I was told about the chains by one of my co-workers and heard about it being possibly closed which has me thinking more and more about the 2nd option. Plus I have a few friends/family I can visit on the West coast.

Thanks K-E-V!

Old 11-29-2013, 03:12 PM
ACRB is infamous around these parts
The one problem with route #2 is going up the 5. It is filled will trucks, and your paint and windshield will take a beating from road debris. Also as mentioned, it is a nightmare with the speed traps.

Old 11-29-2013, 03:41 PM
Yeah, that's not really ideal but my car is clear bra-ed and the windshield is insured. Appreciate the headsup.

Old 11-29-2013, 08:35 PM
gonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond reputegonz996 has a reputation beyond repute
Option 1 for sure and absolutely stunning, and as another posted take a spare and a jack. Option 2 can be tricky and bad weather can happen on the grapevine as well, not to mention California traffic is the pits and ruin that part of the trip.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Question: 997 Roadtrip from DFW to Seattle