997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

Sound and vibration dampening for your 997

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-31-2013, 05:59 PM
socalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to all
Sound and vibration dampening for your 997

Hi all,

After spending much time driving the 991 and realizing how much noisier the 997 really is, I am exploring the option of having DynaMat installed in my car.

I know changing out tires from the Michelin PS2's to PSS's really help...but, the tires have only like a 1000 miles on them now. It would be a shame not to wear them out...

So, the thought of having Del Rey Audio ( a sponsor here ) installing Dynamat has seriously crossed my mind.

I know it adds weight, but I don't care as I will never track my car. I cannot think of any downsides. Only a quieter car with less vibration.

Thoughts, opinions and comments greatly appreciated..

Thanks,

Steve

PS: I am sure I will upgrade the sound system at the same time they have the car apart...

Old 01-01-2014, 09:36 AM
socalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to allsocalsteve is a name known to all
114 views and no one has an opinion or comment?

Anyone, anyone, Bueller???

Old 01-01-2014, 09:59 AM
lowbee is infamous around these parts
Do it.....

I DynaMat all the doors in my STi and it really helps quiet the road noise down a lot (since the car has very little insulation to begin with)....however, the road noise in the 997 didn't bother me as much but if you are going to do it then you should DynaMat the floor as well.

Report back and let us know how much improvement this mod bring...perhaps you can install a dB measuring apps on your smartphone and do a before and after measurment....

Last edited by lowbee; 01-01-2014 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-01-2014, 10:05 AM
Originally Posted by lowbee
Do it.....

I DynaMat all the doors in my STi and it really helps quiet the road noise down a lot (since the car has very little insulation to begin with)....however, the road noise in the 997 didn't bother me as much but if you are going to do it then you should DynaMat the floor as well.

Report back and let us know how much improvement this mod bring...perhaps you can install a dB measuring apps on your smartphone and do a before and after measurment....
The before and after is a great idea! I'll break out my RadioShack sound meter and do just that.

Thank you for the words of encouragement.

Happy New Years!

Steve

Old 01-01-2014, 10:21 AM
rcusick is infamous around these parts
I did his in a cab when installing a new stereo. Helped with ambient sound somewhat (although cab is still loud). Seemed to help more with sound of stereo than sound deadening. Added a lot of weight which I didn't like. I compensated by going to a lightweight lithium ion battery.

Old 01-01-2014, 10:22 AM
BED997 is infamous around these parts
Worth a shot. Tried it in another sports car with floor and doors and was disappointed. Tires made a much bigger impovement. Is dynamat still the best on the market to get rid of noise?

Old 01-01-2014, 03:53 PM
scanners is infamous around these parts
The question Id be asking is:
what are the sound deadening changes between 997.1 and 997.2,
the latter is dramatically quieter, and if could find out what they did we could reproduce it.?

Old 01-02-2014, 01:29 PM
rvc
rvc is infamous around these parts
Want a quieter ride? Sell your Porsche and buy a lexus....kinda comes with the territory....or, turn up your stereo....I'm being sarcastic I know but I assumed most of us enjoy ALL the sounds coming from our rides....and some of us do crazy things like make them louder than stock...sorry...I don't have any good answers you were expecting.

Old 01-02-2014, 02:35 PM
gasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond reputegasongasoff has a reputation beyond repute
I had dampening sheets applied to the doors, made a big difference in reducing vibrations from the woofers - would definitely recommend that.

I'm not sure it made a big difference when it comes to road noise from the tires, which is what I'd like to reduce. Let us know if you discover anything.

Old 01-02-2014, 03:53 PM
IslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of lightIslandS62 is a glorious beacon of light
I did some limited dynamatting to my old BMW Z3 coupe, as the rear hatch area had some creaks and would amplify road rumble. It helped. The car didn't creak and felt/sounded more solid over bumps and when closing the hatch.

A nice thing to remember is that you can apply small patches of DM to parts you think are thin or noisy, and to the center of a metal panel to damp it. You don't need to apply expensive and heavy mat to whole areas to benefit. When I first got my 997 I was surprised that it was so noisy considering its' price. Until then I had always somewhat expected an expensive car = a quiet car.

Old 01-02-2014, 04:40 PM
DustySlider is infamous around these parts
I 1/2 agree. For the most part, I like all the sounds coming from the car. Sure it's a bit louder, but it's a sports car. A quiet sports car...seems to kill a bit of the fun, right?

The one pet peeve I do have is those pesky rattles from the loose bits of my 997. My old ES300 was quiet as heck. A very boring drive, but it's sole purpose was to get to work and back.

Originally Posted by rvc
Want a quieter ride? Sell your Porsche and buy a lexus....kinda comes with the territory....or, turn up your stereo....I'm being sarcastic I know but I assumed most of us enjoy ALL the sounds coming from our rides....and some of us do crazy things like make them louder than stock...sorry...I don't have any good answers you were expecting.

Old 01-02-2014, 05:41 PM
wc11 has a spectacular aura aboutwc11 has a spectacular aura about
Dynamat will help for sure.
Also under each front seat (at least in my 05) there's no Dynamat or carpet.
Dynamat will deaden sound, carpet will absorb sound.
Do you have all leather or Alcantara?
Carpeted or rubber floor mats?
Soft surfaces absorb more sound.
It seems like the regular 991 is more a GT type car so they probably put a little more effort in the noise dampening. I would bet the GT3 is quite a bit louder.

Old 01-03-2014, 04:08 PM
Happy911S is infamous around these parts
I had the back seat removed and Dynamat installed when I bought the car. This helped the tire noise from the back. I am sure that removing the front seats and doing the front would further help as this is where most of the tire noise seems to come from now.

I also recently drove a 991 and I did enjoy less road noise but when I looked at the price to trade up, the noise did not bother me as much!

Old 01-03-2014, 04:27 PM
scanners is infamous around these parts
does anyone have access to a Porsche mechanic that knows the additions from 997.1 to 997.2 for sound deadening, perhaps that will help us all out to know where to place this stuff?