997 2005-2012 911 C2, C2S, C4, C4S, GTS, Targa and Cabriolet Model Discussion.

997 vs Stingray?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-07-2014, 09:28 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Wheeler
I agree, straight line performance is cheap. You put a procharger on a 5.0 mustang and boost that thing to the moon. I'll say it again, the Vette is a 10 footer compared to a 911. Orange peel paint on wheels, thick glossy clear coat, and a lot of "cool" vents and things going on. I paid $62k for my used 09 a few months ago and literally saw THE first C7 to drop in KC at a car meet that weekend...could have bought brand new for what I paid for mine. As I approached the car I thought "wow...maybe I made a mistake..". Then after walking around it and seeing a few more since then up close. I have ZERO sour grapes. I got the better end of the deal no question. That said, I can't wait to drive one! I hated the C6 so like to see how improved it is. It's all good.
The C7 is SO much more than straight line performance. I'd say it was the least amount of improvement of the whole evolution.

I'm not suggesting that you made this comment specifically, but, I'm not sure why anyone still thinks that Corvettes can't corner well. I know historically the C5 (and less so the C6) had issues applying traction, and when combined with cornering, usually ended up in a fantastic youtube video.

I was also concerned with the orange peel (and a few other concerns). But I've heard (not seen) that they've been corrected, and some more changes are being implemented. The wife agreed to wait until the next MY before revisiting that purchase.

Old 01-07-2014, 09:59 AM
Wheeler is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by jaspergtr
The C7 is SO much more than straight line performance. I'd say it was the least amount of improvement of the whole evolution.

I'm not suggesting that you made this comment specifically, but, I'm not sure why anyone still thinks that Corvettes can't corner well. I know historically the C5 (and less so the C6) had issues applying traction, and when combined with cornering, usually ended up in a fantastic youtube video.

I was also concerned with the orange peel (and a few other concerns). But I've heard (not seen) that they've been corrected, and some more changes are being implemented. The wife agreed to wait until the next MY before revisiting that purchase.
Na...just sounded like the rundown was going to take place at highway speeds was all. No doubt all the corvettes handled well, more so in the hands of an experience owner/race driver. When I test drove both cars within 1/2 hour of each other, my first impression was I would immediately feel comfortable driving the 911 on a track, where the C6 might have taken a number of butt-puckering session to get a "feel" for it...again, just immediate impression from a spode like me.

As for the paint issues...idunno...I just saw one a buddy of mine had delivered right before Xmas and the paint in all areas was still very much what you would see on a Tahoe or anything else. Nothing BAD, just not like a $125k Porsche...or a used $60k Porsche. I mean the Porsche SHOULD be better for kind of money.

Old 01-09-2014, 12:57 PM
StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !StormRune Is a GOD !
Porsche wins!

For Christmas I went shopping for a new car (new for me at least). I narrowed it down to a well-optioned 2009 Carrera S and a new Stingray and went shopping for both. I've previously owned 1 Porsche and 5 Corvettes starting way back in the late 80s.

Although I like Corvettes for their low-end power, great handling (since C6 years), the cool dashboard/HUD features, and overall bang-for-the-buck, it seems that I've become a dedicated Porsche man and doubt I'll ever go back. I got a short test drive in the Corvette (manual tran) and while it was an interesting experience, the 2009 C2S's power was sooo nicely topped off by the performance of the PDK there was no comparison in my mind. I was also surprised by the fit and finish problems I observed on the Corvette, it seemed a step down from the 2007 C6 I had before.

But back to the original question. I did a lot of research before committing to the Porsche. 0-60 times are very similar and depend upon the driver's ability. I found them both with times from reputable car mags in the 3.8 second plus or minus a little. The PDK helps a lot though. A lot of people have trouble with the gates in the 7 speed Stingray transmission and getting really faster shift times. Even a good driver loses 2 tenths or more just in shifting a normal manual tranny, most lose more than that.

I think you'll find that a C2S with the PDK will take the Vette off the line (especially if you use launch control!). I think as you get past the 60 mph mark increase the Vette will pull away, a lot of tests I read seem to agree with this (quarter mile times et al). Most drivers, especially your everyday Corvette drivers, aren't masters of speed shifting.

For me, the Porsche was an easy call. The total driving experience is so much more enjoyable than I ever had in a Corvette. While the Stingray is having its day for breaking out of its mold and getting a little wilder, I find it to be gaudy and a rough-edge power saw compared to the fine scalpel of the Porsche.

Bottom line: Rest assured that you have the better car.

Last edited by StormRune; 01-09-2014 at 08:23 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 02:59 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
I currently own a 2005 C2S (modified, and used to be Supercharged) and an '87 911 Carrera 3.2, and I love them both. I wanted a new car, and I decided to order myself a C7. I've not yet taken delivery, as it's scheduled for production the week of 1/20/2014, but when I do I will be sure to share my observations and comparisons with you.

But off the bat I can tell you this: the C7 is not just a drag strip monster, although a bone stock one with the Z51 package can pull an 11.6 in the 1/4 mile. But it's always had that. Now it has the stability and handling to go with it. No Nurbergring times have been posted yet for the C7, but I am eager to see where it nets out. I know a stock C7 with the Z51 package and stock Michelin's recently ran an unheard of time around Road Atlanta, mid 1:20's.

Who knows, I think I'll like all the creature comforts and new technology that it offers, with the 5 mode selector (weather, eco, tour, sport, & track), and the 12 adjustable settings within each, as well as the power and handling, but I'll always be a Porsche guy.

Looking forward to reporting my findings. FWIW, here is how I optioned my C7:
-Arctic White, black leather, black wheels (19 front, 20 rear), red calipers, carbon mirror and spoiler
-Z51 Package: larger brakes, electronic limited slip diff, dry sump oil lubrication, etc.
-2LT Leather package with heads-up display
-6 speed automatic
-Dual mode performance exhaust
-Magnetic selective ride control
-Carbon fiber dash
-Visible carbon fiber roof (removable targa top, 14 lbs, stores in rear hatch)
-Navigation
$68k

CATTMAN

Last edited by Cattman; 01-09-2014 at 03:01 PM.
Old 01-09-2014, 05:01 PM
OldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Cattman
I currently own a 2005 C2S (modified, and used to be Supercharged) and an '87 911 Carrera 3.2, and I love them both. I wanted a new car, and I decided to order myself a C7.
Sounds like it's going to be gorgeous. I'm sure that initially, at least, you're going to want to drive it a lot, as it's so very different from what you're used to. After you've had a chance to get used to it, though, it will be interesting to see which car you take when going out for a "fun" drive, i.e., not a commute to work in traffic. You're very fortunate to be able to own both a couple of Porsches AND a C7!

Old 01-09-2014, 06:08 PM
Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !Cattman Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by OldBoldPilot
Sounds like it's going to be gorgeous. I'm sure that initially, at least, you're going to want to drive it a lot, as it's so very different from what you're used to. After you've had a chance to get used to it, though, it will be interesting to see which car you take when going out for a "fun" drive, i.e., not a commute to work in traffic. You're very fortunate to be able to own both a couple of Porsches AND a C7!
It will be interesting to see which I prefer, but it won't exactly be apples to apples, as the C7 will have many niceties I don't have in my '05 C2S, including:
-heads up display
-nav
-onstar
-XM
-cooled seats
-5 mode drive selector with 12 sub-adjustable components

See, what I really want is a more powerful 911 that has all the luxury amenities and all the hi-tech gadgets. Maybe a 911 Turbo S PDK is my future.
CATTMAN

Old 01-09-2014, 07:59 PM
sixgun95 is infamous around these parts
Great write-ups for sure! I look forward to reading more reviews, specifically from the 911 enthusiasts who experience the C7. Lets keep it unbiased for all to benefit!

Old 01-09-2014, 08:23 PM
LPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to beholdLPpfs997 is a splendid one to behold
OP: do you note whether it was a c7 Stingray ?

Anyone without bias will see this c7 as a great car. Maybe Porsche isn't quite a Bentley but the fit / finish on the c7 is good nowhere near a Porsche. For the money this is a great American sports car, one I've driven a bit but wished to have for at least another day. It is fast but so is a c2S. Don't push it off based on last years version, this car can handle. Dropping a pdk c2S into second at 50mph along side a Stingray would be and interesting race to 120mph. I'd say it be close or a draw.

Still would not traded my pcar for one ;-)

Old 01-10-2014, 06:04 AM
jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !jaspergtr Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by LPpfs997
Is there another C7 that is out yet?

Old 01-10-2014, 03:21 PM
xseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to allxseal is a name known to all
The C7 doesn't do it for me, tho it's surely more performance per $ than any 911. I'm sticking with my 07 997tt (kudos to Chevy for keeping the 6 speed available).

But, I am looking at 67 C2 big blocks for a Sunday car .....

Old 01-10-2014, 04:51 PM
erayd8 is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by Franky Knuckles
I feel violated...I can still hear his engine revving away in my head lol
Time to start saving up for a new C7.

Old 01-11-2014, 04:49 PM
Franky Knuckles is infamous around these parts
Originally Posted by LPpfs997
I thought the c7 WAS the Stingray? It was this, but it was black and looked like it had custom rims along with deep black tint..before I could look any closer he was swerving over 5 lanes to get next to me lol...

Originally Posted by erayd8
Time to start saving up for a new C7.
Nah, lol....I'm good with my 911. A friend of mine who has a camero was suggesting we go test drive a Stingray just for the hell of it...to be honest I'd rather test it out on a track fir fun, not with a dealer who's trying to "handle" me or make a sale and in regular traffic.

My dad is pretty set on getting one anyway, he's had whatever the 2007 model was plus an original 74 Stingray...so I'll get my hands on it at some point, but for me the Porsche seems to just "fit" me and has a bit more elegance to it for the type of events I go to, I dunno...I LOVE to look at the Stingray and would love to drive it every now and then but I don't love it enough to buy it at this point if that makes sense.

My next sports car is a Ferrari. I'm not settling for anything less than that. Everything else I will just admire from a distance

Last edited by Franky Knuckles; 01-11-2014 at 04:53 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 02:22 PM
mark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud ofmark12345 has much to be proud of
The C7 is a very nice sports car and GM has done a great job with the latest iteration in terms of quality and performance.

Side note: Personally, I find it funny that people mention Nürburgring times for cars. Unless you track or race your car, 99% of car owners will never extract the full potential of their cars on public roads so to me, Nürburgring times are meaningless. Additionally, does it really matter if the 0-60mph times are 4.0 sec versus 3.5 sec? Anything less than 5 secs is pretty fast, especially on public roads. With that said, I know its an enthusiasts speaking when talking about Nürburgring times or 0-60mph :-)

Last edited by mark12345; 01-12-2014 at 02:29 PM.
Old 01-12-2014, 04:02 PM
OldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond reputeOldBoldPilot has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Franky Knuckles
My dad is pretty set on getting one anyway, he's had whatever the 2007 model was plus an original 74 Stingray...so I'll get my hands on it at some point,
Kind of an interesting indicator of what Corvette's problem has been (and I say this with respect as I'm probably older than your father) -- an aging demographic. I think that with the C7 remodel, and keeping the price within reach, GM may have found the key to rejuvenating its buyer demographic. This is a car that can have great appeal to a younger market while the price keeps it within their reach. It's a problem that Harley-Davidson is desperately trying to solve, but with a StreetGlide now going for over $23,000, they're still struggling to find a solution.

Old 01-13-2014, 08:05 AM
RS4Jay is infamous around these parts
I had to chuckle reading some of these comments because I'm in the market for a new toy and happened to look at the new C7 after reading the reviews. I walked away rather disappointed. It a great mechanical setup but I couldn't get past the exterior and interior details. The exterior is way to cluttered up with vents and assortments of plastic on the rear. When you sit inside and look around it just looks cheap. A huge improvement over the previous gen but that isn't saying much. The dash looks cheap and the steering wheel looks like it came off a $15k car. No matter how good the car drove this ended up being a deal breaker.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 997 vs Stingray?